THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Fascinating tutorial video by Steve Dinan on ECU tuning

10-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Fascinating tutorial video by Steve Dinan on ECU tuning

Here is a video in which Steve Dinan talks about ECU tuning. Late in the video he seems to suggest that manufacturers will soon make piggyback tuning impossible so the future of his business will be in replacing -- not flashing -- factory ECUs. I wonder whether BMW would perform any warranteed engine servicing at all on cars under warranty with a non-factory ECU.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/6bkDKqoGSdU[/u2b]

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Was this shot a while ago? Steve left Dinan last year.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Did he leave or was he bought out and remains the figurehead of the company? I'm pretty sure it's the latter because Dinan posted this vid today on their Facebook page.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Pretty sure Steve haven't head much with the day to day running of the company in some time. Back in February he went to work for Ganassi racing, but there was a blurb about him remaining in a consulting role with Dinan. Vague, but looks like appearing in an occasional promotional video as the face of the company fits the bill.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape1 View Post
Pretty sure Steve haven't head much with the day to day running of the company in some time. Back in February he went to work for Ganassi racing, but there was a blurb about him remaining in a consulting role with Dinan. Vague, but looks like appearing in an occasional promotional video as the face of the company fits the bill.
Steve is still consults engineering on various development although he is no longer part of day to day operations. This video was shot back in May or June if memory serves correctly though (sometime in late spring at least) but the /Drive channel and this episode was a paid only episode until this morning, hence the late unveil to the masses.
Appreciate 0