THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Features or Accessories for Chicagoland M235xi

10-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
DZSlasher
Rep
Drives: Pending

Features or Accessories for Chicagoland M235xi

I am in the process of selecting options for my M235i x-drive and I am super excited. For those who own the car in the Chicagoland area, are there any features or accessories that you have purchased after the fact to use this car as your daily driver? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSlasher View Post
I am in the process of selecting options for my M235i x-drive and I am super excited. For those who own the car in the Chicagoland area, are there any features or accessories that you have purchased after the fact to use this car as your daily driver? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats! Great choice.
Actually, I've just added heated seats.

So far I've done some cosmetic mods (tint, clear bra, gloss black painted rear diffuser/side mirrors, color matched painted front sidemarkers, I changed front turn signal bulbs from amber to silver, bought a set of weathertech mats, and a set of 17" winter wheels/tires) I also did some coding.
I live in Roselle BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

For a daily driver in Chicago...definitely WeathetTech floor liners...the ones with the perfect fit and raised edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I am in Chicago (West Loop), and my car is coming in a few weeks. I ordered a 16 M235ix as well. I only added the heated seats for my gf since she likes them, but other than that I kept the all season tires, and got a set of the rubber mats for year round use.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You can prob get away with a high performance winter tire like the Blizzak LM where you are as opposed something more aggressive. Since it's flat you'll be fine as opposed to out east where the hills are the biggest problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
You can prob get away with a high performance winter tire like the Blizzak LM where you are as opposed something more aggressive. Since it's flat you'll be fine as opposed to out east where the hills are the biggest problem.
He/she can just utilize all seasons considering it's and xdrive as well as a daily driver. If they want to start tracking the car, different sets of tires may make sense. I'm personally going the all seasons year round with my xdrive to free up space and hassle.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
DZSlasher
Rep

Thank you. This has been helpful. Do 17" or 18" wheels make a difference when driving through the snow?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. This has been helpful. Do 17" or 18" wheels make a difference when driving through the snow?
This is a topic and I don't want to start another tire vs AWD war. I just suggest you do more searching and reading here, on tirerack.com, and car magazines, even including the recent Consumer Reports directly on this topic. You will find very credible diametrical recommendations on winter ("studless") tires based on the the lack of contribution of AWD to an off-throttle need to brake/turn in winter to avoid contact when so-called all-seasons have lost much traction in cold temps. BTW, 17 vs 18 doesn't make much difference. It's the tread width which matters and narrower is better...205/50 or 215/50 are optimal among 17s.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
DZSlasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
This is a topic and I don't want to start another tire vs AWD war. I just suggest you do more searching and reading here, on tirerack.com, and car magazines, even including the recent Consumer Reports directly on this topic. You will find very credible diametrical recommendations on winter ("studless") tires based on the the lack of contribution of AWD to an off-throttle need to brake/turn in winter to avoid contact when so-called all-seasons have lost much traction in cold temps. BTW, 17 vs 18 doesn't make much difference. It's the tread width which matters and narrower is better...205/50 or 215/50 are optimal among 17s.
Okay. I will do some more extensive research. Didn't realize that this was a sensitive topic.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Okay. I will do some more extensive research. Didn't realize that this was a sensitive topic.
Lol.

If you want the most from your m235i (which is likely), I'd keep the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports on there (don't check off all seasons) and get winter tires. Best of both worlds, despite the 'hassle' that was posted above. I'd rather have superior ride/handling in summer AND winter, than negligible ride/handling year-round.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001
Quote:
Lol.

If you want the most from your m235i (which is likely), I'd keep the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports on there (don't check off all seasons) and get winter tires. Best of both worlds, despite the 'hassle' that was posted above. I'd rather have superior ride/handling in summer AND winter, than negligible ride/handling year-round.
Not sure why you put hassle in quotes. Coming from experience living in Chicago, this is a hassle, no question about it.

Not sure where you live, but I don't have the luxury of being able to store four wheels unless I want to pay for a storage facility, which would be a massive waste of money.

I'm sure you are a *great* driver and need the summer performance tires. However I'll take the negligible (you used that word totally wrong in this context) year round tires, to switching them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Not sure why you put hassle in quotes. Coming from experience living in Chicago, this is a hassle, no question about it.

Not sure where you live, but I don't have the luxury of being able to store four wheels unless I want to pay for a storage facility, which would be a massive waste of money.

I'm sure you are a *great* driver and need the summer performance tires. However I'll take the negligible (you used that word totally wrong in this context) year round tires, to switching them out.
FYI....an approved Tire Rack installer in our area charges $10/month for storage and you can drive in/out in minutes with a "pit stop" wheel change. A large tire chain in Michigan (Belle Tire) charges $100 per year for storage, and they wash and wrap them. All less than one fascia repaint job! Saving even one bodyshop event with the advantage from studless winter tires braking on snow/ice is also a hassle reduction!

To make more use of them, I run also all-seasons, but just for the rest of the year, deeper into the Fall/early Winter, and back on very early in Spring, which I couldn't do with PSS due to temperatures. In winter, it's all Blizzak WS80 for best chance at getting through unscathed!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-28-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why you're mad about it.

If ANYTHING is a hassle, it's my safety. Hassle is me questioning my safety or my ability to make it somewhere where I need to be for whichever reason that may be. Hassle is NOT stacking tires and waiting 20 minutes for new tires to be swapped on. I live in Northern PA where we got a lot of snow. I know that I, for no reason whatsoever, need or want all season tires when I need to be somewhere in the winter time.

You're purely mixing up hassle with convenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
FYI....an approved Tire Rack installer in our area charges $10/month for storage and you can drive in/out in minutes with a "pit stop" wheel change. A large tire chain in Michigan (Belle Tire) charges $100 per year for storage, and they wash and wrap them. All less than one fascia repaint job! Saving even one bodyshop event with the advantage from studless winter tires braking on snow/ice is also a hassle reduction!

To make more use of them, I run also all-seasons, but just for the rest of the year, deeper into the Fall/early Winter, and back on very early in Spring, which I couldn't do with PSS due to temperatures. In winter, it's all Blizzak WS80 for best chance at getting through unscathed!
$120/yr for storage is not a small expense. In the grand scheme of things its a relatively low cost solution, but I can't imagine they change them out for you free of charge as well, so that has to add. Not to mention the cost of actually buying new winter wheels and tires (~$1200). I understand there is an advantage to winter tires, but millions run AWD w/ AS, with no issue. The added cost alone is not worth it for me, hence suggesting the same to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Not sure why you're mad about it.

If ANYTHING is a hassle, it's my safety. Hassle is me questioning my safety or my ability to make it somewhere where I need to be for whichever reason that may be. Hassle is NOT stacking tires and waiting 20 minutes for new tires to be swapped on. I live in Northern PA where we got a lot of snow. I know that I, for no reason whatsoever, need or want all season tires when I need to be somewhere in the winter time.

You're purely mixing up hassle with convenience.
I'm mad about it because you use quotes in a "dont listen to that idiot above me" way, when I had a decent point. You also continue to act as though everyone has the ability to stack 4 tires. I have a big place, but no room for tires. I am sure many people that live in a city have that same limitation. That is a hassle.

I have swapped out summers for winters and vice versa in my 135i for 4 yrs by myself, so I know first hand that it isn't fun. For me, carrying four wheels down an apartment stairwell, jacking up the car, pounding on the wheel to get it off the hub, and replacing them all again 5 months down the road is a major pain in the ass. Couple the time and cost, and yes I would say its a hassle to maintain two sets.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Okok, definitely get the mixed summer tires so you get the MPSS and a set 17" 215/50 rims and WS80's (~$1000 on tirerack.com). In my opinion, if you're buying a performance car such as the M235i, you don't want to compromise on summer tires and the MPSS are beasts.

As for options, I got the tech package, premium package, and cold weather package. I would absolutely suggest the tech and premium to anyone buying this car. As for the CWP, I wish I had went for the heated seats option only as I would like to change to the M Performance wheel and therefore wasting the heating steering wheel function that comes with the CWP and standard steering wheel.

As for aftermarket parts, a set of rubber mats are a must. I had the BMW mats comp'd with my car and they work just fine but the WeatherTech mats are top of the line and give more protection against spills and such. I would definitely get the black kidney grills, too. They really complete the aggressive exterior look. I personally hate the silver mirror caps on my MG car, but rather than go with the BMW CF mirror caps or fussing around with fake ones online, I am going to have them wrapped black along with my roof when I get my tint done.

Hope this little rant on my version of the perfect M235i helps
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm mad about it because you use quotes in a "dont listen to that idiot above me" way, when I had a decent point. You also continue to act as though everyone has the ability to stack 4 tires. I have a big place, but no room for tires. I am sure many people that live in a city have that same limitation. That is a hassle.

I have swapped out summers for winters and vice versa in my 135i for 4 yrs by myself, so I know first hand that it isn't fun. For me, carrying four wheels down an apartment stairwell, jacking up the car, pounding on the wheel to get it off the hub, and replacing them all again 5 months down the road is a major pain in the ass. Couple the time and cost, and yes I would say its a hassle to maintain two sets.

FWIW, most BMW dealers (especially northern ones) have a (complimentary) storage facility for customer's wheels/tires. I know my local dealer does, and a few other local ones as well. A lot of customers alter between summer/A/S tires & winters.. I don't see why your local dealer wouldn't do this as well.

I personally didn't get an M235i to put all-season tires on it, just like I didn't buy an M235i to get good gas mileage. To me, having the best performance from the car is worth the hassle you (and most others) experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
FWIW, most BMW dealers (especially northern ones) have a (complimentary) storage facility for customer's wheels/tires. I know my local dealer does, and a few other local ones as well. A lot of customers alter between summer/A/S tires & winters.. I don't see why your local dealer wouldn't do this as well.

I personally didn't get an M235i to put all-season tires on it, just like I didn't buy an M235i to get good gas mileage. To me, having the best performance from the car is worth the hassle you (and most others) experience.
Chicago has 1 dealer that is local, and its awful. My dealer is 20 miles away which may not seem far, but with traffic that can easily be an hour. Its just not realistic to assume everyone has the same amenities as you do. I personally got an M235i to keep the same performance that I am accustomed to, while alleviating any additional cost/maintenance by adding the X-drive/AS setup.

Regarding the 'best performance' you mention, there is no way you utilize that daily, so its a moot point. Yeah if I'm on the track, I am not running AS tires. Daily driver, sure why not.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chicago has 1 dealer that is local, and its awful. My dealer is 20 miles away which may not seem far, but with traffic that can easily be an hour. Its just not realistic to assume everyone has the same amenities as you do. I personally got an M235i to keep the same performance that I am accustomed to, while alleviating any additional cost/maintenance by adding the X-drive/AS setup.

Regarding the 'best performance' you mention, there is no way you utilize that daily, so its a moot point. Yeah if I'm on the track, I am not running AS tires. Daily driver, sure why not.
Nowhere did I assume people have the same amenities as I do. I simply included some information about dealers that sometimes store your tires for you.

Best performance in no way whatsoever is a moot point. Slalom cornering? Sure. But A/S Tires are PROVEN to have increased stopping distance of ~30 feet or 2 car lengths from 30mph in snowy conditions compared to dedicated winter tires. Think I want to be inside the 2 cars in front of me if I want to stop as fast as possible? Hell no. Same goes for maneuverability: winter tires are the difference between getting through a corner or making friends with a guard-rail or tree on the side of the road. THIS alone is worth lugging tires around two times a year. I'd personally rather be at home than waiting for a buddy or AAA to come get me out of a ditch, to then make an appointment with my local body shop later that day.

The same goes for Summer VS A/S tires. Summer tires have better maneuverability, stopping distances as well as wet handling compared to A/S tires. Summer tires aren't always about holding grip in track situations. I use my tires in a manner that A/S tires would leave me uncomfortable. If you drive your M235i in a subtle manner and wait until the roads are plowed to go outside, then that's your choice. I'm just saying there is no way you can compare Summer tires to A/S tires or A/S tires to Winter tires in any category... which is why a lot of people call all season tires 'no season' tires since they're a compromise of winter/rain/dry capability.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #19
kz1000
Mensch
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i 6mt

I recommend armor plating and a roof mounted Minigun.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #20
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I live in the upper Midwest too...Snow/Cold 5 mos of the year...

Weather tech Floor Liners are a must imo...As is ZCP - the heated steering wheel alone is worth it and I really like the M Sports Steering Wheel the 235 comes with.

I've got the 235 xDrive and I do the staggered summer with separate winter wheels/tires..

I've loved the Dunlop Winter Sports or Blizzak LM's for all my Bimmers (rwd or xDrive). Personally, I do not like the snow/ice tires, they are far too soft and rubber-band in cornering for me. Others prefer them.

Do your homework OP. Big driving differences in a snow/ice tire vs winter performance tire.

If you don't? You'll end-up with a set of snows you won't like or worse yet, wont meet the needs of where you live.

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 10-28-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #21
DZSlasher
Rep

I agree. All of the posts have made me do some research on tires especially winter is going to be here faster than I would like. It is also great to hear that a number of the members live in the midwest and are able to use this car all year around.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #22
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
I agree. All of the posts have made me do some research on tires especially winter is going to be here faster than I would like. It is also great to hear that a number of the members live in the midwest and are able to use this car all year around.
Much as I hate putting my summer wheels and tires away, xDrive with Winter shoes is a blast...I love mine in the winter.

Only time I'll take the wifes X5 instead is when we've had a deep snow and the roads arent plowed yet. Clearance is just not good for those conditions.

Luckily, that is rare here and the roads are plowed fast. Another reason I choose Winter Performance over a Snow/Ice Tire.

BTW, Mason @ TireRack can help you out...Been buying my tires from him for years