E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Are you rustproofing?

11-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

Are you rustproofing?

I'm still undecided if I should rustproof or not. Some say it's not worth it and can even be detrimental as the oil can clog drain holes.

I also have not seen rust on any e60 or e90, I think BMW really stepped up their game this time around.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

You haven't seen rust on a E90? You should see mine. I bought it used and when jacked up for the first time, I was shocked by the amount of rust everywhere.

We use a lot of salt on the roads here in the GTA over the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
You haven't seen rust on a E90? You should see mine. I bought it used and when jacked up for the first time, I was shocked by the amount of rust everywhere.

We use a lot of salt on the roads here in the GTA over the winter.
I guess I mean more like surface/body rust.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Bottom edge of my rear passenger side door had a little rust. I think the paint chipped off, allowing the rust, not the other way around.

Drivers fender had a small paint bubble caused by rust.

Ground them both down to metal, then zinc primer and touchup paint. Thinking of a light coating in some spots where there are drain holes, and more where there isn't.

Was talking to a guy in a parking lot last week about his 330, and he had a little on the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

I'm getting my car done this weekend.
      11-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

I'll be getting mine done in the spring, which is said to be the best time of the year to do it. Rust forms not during winter, but during the spring time when it gets warm. That makes sense because the process of rusting is a chemical reaction which doesn't really move forward unless there is a warmer ambient temperature.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'll be getting mine done in the spring, which is said to be the best time of the year to do it. Rust forms not during winter, but during the spring time when it gets warm. That makes sense because the process of rusting is a chemical reaction which doesn't really move forward unless there is a warmer ambient temperature.
So it's true then that parking in garage/underground is bad during winter? My garage stays pretty warm, probably 0 degrees during winter and my gf's underground parking is like 20 degrees
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
chmerlinn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335

Interesting, was going to do mine in a couple weeks.. Might wait til the spring, can anyone else confirm this waiting until the spring business?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

http://www.ctvnews.ca/pat-foran-s-ti...r-car-1.600797
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuickEnough View Post
So it's true then that parking in garage/underground is bad during winter? My garage stays pretty warm, probably 0 degrees during winter and my gf's underground parking is like 20 degrees
That is true. My E36 was Krown'ed every year and rust was well-contained until I started parking it in a condo. Once I started that, rust started popping up in various places. It's far better to park out in the cold. Another indicator of salt+temperature being the enemy is the state of my Bilstein shocks/struts: the struts near the engine bay get attacked by rust whereas there is almost negligible rust on the rear shocks.

As for the E90, the Bentley manual says that the body panels are galvanized metal. Most vehicles these days are galvanized (e.g. Civic, Mazda3, Subaru, VW). Weigh that against what some owners are saying about actual rust they see on their E90's. For my E90, I don't bring it in for rust proofing, but I do spray the bottom edges of the doors with Rust Check aerosols from CT. Keep in mind that rustproofing will likely invalidate the manufacturer's body panel warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
chmerlinn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
That is true. My E36 was Krown'ed every year and rust was well-contained until I started parking it in a condo. Once I started that, rust started popping up in various places. It's far better to park out in the cold. Another indicator of salt+temperature being the enemy is the state of my Bilstein shocks/struts: the struts near the engine bay get attacked by rust whereas there is almost negligible rust on the rear shocks.

As for the E90, the Bentley manual says that the body panels are galvanized metal. Most vehicles these days are galvanized (e.g. Civic, Mazda3, Subaru, VW). Weigh that against what some owners are saying about actual rust they see on their E90's. For my E90, I don't bring it in for rust proofing, but I do spray the bottom edges of the doors with Rust Check aerosols from CT. Keep in mind that rustproofing will likely invalidate the manufacturer's body panel warranty.

Thanks for the info guys. Also good to note it appears BMW's have 12 year limited warranty on body, rust-proofing will likely void this warranty. Not sure on details and applicable on ownership change.. But worth looking into before you pull the trigger on rustproofing!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.B View Post
Bottom edge of my rear passenger side door had a little rust. I think the paint chipped off, allowing the rust, not the other way around.

Drivers fender had a small paint bubble caused by rust.

Ground them both down to metal, then zinc primer and touchup paint. Thinking of a light coating in some spots where there are drain holes, and more where there isn't.

Was talking to a guy in a parking lot last week about his 330, and he had a little on the trunk.
You have a 2006, you still have 3 years of body corrosion warranty from the factory?!? Take it to the BMW body shop and have everything replaced.

Just showed my 2006 to our body shop, a bit of rust along the bottom of the driver's door. They will be replacing the entire door under warranty.

I will never use rustproofing on any of my cars. Ruins all the rubber seals and plastics, including wiring. Picky body shops will also void your factory corrosion warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
...I will never use rustproofing on any of my cars. Ruins all the rubber seals and plastics, including wiring. Picky body shops will also void your factory corrosion warranty.
All true.

I have had problems with my brake calipers seizing up, even though they had recent rebuilds. My suspicion is the rustproofing getting on the rubber seals and causing issues.

Wiring. Rustproofing causes voltage leaks on wiring. My high beams used to mysteriously go on at low voltage. Cleaned the rustproofing residue off the wiring and it solved the problem. You can always have the shop not rust proof the engine bay since rust is usually not a problem there; I'm more concerned about the undercarriage.

My opinion for galvanized cars is to just keep it clean. If you park in a condo, I might do limited rustproofing but you have to weigh that against the 12y warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post

So with your E36, you had rust pop up even while getting annual rust proofing from parking in a condo? That worries me I recently moved into a condo lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I will not rustproof my car..... I currently have no rust as my car was built well enough to resist .
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Don't do it - more harmful than it is helpful.

This is what are cars are dipped for during the manufacturing process and why we have that super long warranty.

If you see surface that it's because a rock or some other object scraped off the protective material. Once water touches anything bare it'll start to eat away at it which is why if you notice something you take care of it instead of covering it up with that proof oils and sprays.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #17
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You have a 2006, you still have 3 years of body corrosion warranty from the factory?!? Take it to the BMW body shop and have everything replaced.

Just showed my 2006 to our body shop, a bit of rust along the bottom of the driver's door. They will be replacing the entire door under warranty.
Having read the warranty, and seeing how it specifically states it's for perforation of he metal (right through) and says that the warranty is void if owners aren't properly maintaining paint chips and other minor paint damage, I didn't even bother going to the dealer. Maybe I'm just too cynical and expect them to try to get out of whatever they can. Maybe BMW isn't so strict and to the letter of the warranty and will bend the rules to keep their 10 year old cars looking good on the road.

If it comes up again somewhere else I will give it a shot, but for these particular panels I wouldn't expect anything now that I've done what I've done to them.

Also, maybe if the overall condition of the paint and body was as nice as some other '06s I see out there I would have tried. Bumper and rocker scrapes, terrible hood and bumper paint from rocks, bunch of small dings, scratches and chips on the doors, and a hood repair job done during a previous owners tenure that looks fine on overcast days in the winter when I bought the car but is not a great match when the sun finally comes out in March. The car looks great from far, but terrible when you really look at it up close.

I can't see evidence of the repair where the rust spots were from even a few feet away, and the rust was all ground out, so it should stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #18
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I am a dealer tech (Acura), and our dealership group (Acura, Honda, Toyota, BMW, MB...) body shop is attached to our dealership. I see the corrosion work they do. BMW is VERY good about their corrosion warranty. Have seen them replace almost the entire car (hood, trunk, fenders, inner and outer 1/4 panels, floor....). They have a car in there almost every week getting the same treatment. No fight, just replace everything.

Minor surface rust is different. If it is a rock chip that has started to rust, of course they won't cover it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #19
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You can always tell when car is rust proofed.

Shit is always leaking from under the doors and trunk.

Your car will look like shit but at least it wont rust, right.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
You can always tell when car is rust proofed.

Shit is always leaking from under the doors and trunk.

Your car will look like shit but at least it wont rust, right.

Good luck
I think it only looks like that for a little while, then it clears up.

I think I'm going to get a spray can from CT and hit a few spots inside the fenders, door edges, and that spot between the passenger strut tower and the exhaust manifold that's covered with a heat shield where I found a metric f-ton of salt deposits and gravel this spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
awesomee92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

I always use Krown, car still looks great with no rust.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
My 2006 E90 is just now starting to show some rust on the driver's door, sort of the size of a dime. The bottom of the car is pretty clean, barely any rust showing at all.

I'm getting rid of the car and getting an F30 after winter, so I don't really care. But if I were keeping it, I'd start thinking about what to do about the rust.
Appreciate 0