THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Humming noise after being parked

11-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Humming noise after being parked

Not sure where I should have posted this since it doesn't fit in any of the other places but here goes.

I am the extremely happy owner of a new 2016 M235xi, my first BMW, and this morning I arrived at my destination a little early so I sat in my car for a little while. Everything was off and I was playing on my phone when I started hearing this humming noise coming from a couple places in the dash. It's hard to describe but it sounded like a servo motor or something. It seems like it was supposed to happen so I'm not worried but it would be nice to know what the noise is. Anyone have any idea?

On a side note, coming from my first car of a used '05 Chevy Colorado; I am having way too much fun in this car and don't know how I will ever go back to anything with less performance. It's also great to be part of an awesome community of enthusiasts like we have here.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm wondering if it's the HVAC system vent system closing down or a supplemental cooling flow for the turbo ?
But it's normal
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Probably coolant being pumped through the turbo to cool it down. Our X5 does it and so does our Mini Countryman.

It's a great idea in terms of increasing turbocharger life, but I do wonder what this means for long term battery life. It's not good to leave a partially discharged car battery sitting for long periods of time, and with the way this is done it means the battery pretty much never sits fully charged.
Appreciate 0