F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 320d Non starter, fuel pump relay perhaps?
GetBMWParts

12-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Angleshade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Series 3 320d

320d Non starter, fuel pump relay perhaps?

Hello,

First post but long time lurker…

I have a problem with my otherwise very well behaved 2006 320d.

Basically I left work a week ago, got in, turned her over as usual. Turned over fine but wouldn’t fire up.

Called the recovery team and their man arrived, he did some fiddling around and diagnosed a broken starter motor. This didn’t seem right to me but anyway, he called their tow truck and 2 hours later (and after some more tests) he diagnosed broken fuel pump (he tried some starter spray in the air intake and it started very briefly), sounded right to me although it had been working fine up until that point, no indication at all the fuel pump was going.

We dragged it home and I called a mobile mechanic to get a confirmation diagnosis the next morning (and fit a fuel pump if confirmed). He decided the fuel pump was fine and the keys needed reprogramming (with, I reckon, limited test tools). This didn’t seem right at all to me, surely the engine wouldn’t have briefly started if the engine was immobilized. I did a little more research and wondered if it might be the fuel pump relay (I checked the fuel pump fuse - no problem there) but my knowledge is limited. Battery is fine, no obvious warning lights (other that service required - MOT has just run out to add to my woes).

So, before I drag it down to the local BMW expert and spend a fortune anyone got any ideas? Fuel relay perhaps? Something obvious 3 mechanics and I might have might missed (well, it must be something we’ve missed ;o)?

Thanks in advance.
Ian
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I would have them fit a new fuel filter - part of that is to prime the new filter. That will test that the lift fuel pump (in the tank) is operational. If it doesn't start, then the high pressure pump - which is quite pricey - is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Sit quietly in the car and listed if you can hear the fuel pump run when the ignition is turned on. You should be able to hear it priming up.

The pump is in the tank. if you lift the rear seat bench and carpet, you can access it under the floor after taking a plate off (4 x 10mm bolts from memory)

Disconnect the pipe from the top and then unscrew a big metal ring from around it - you may need to "shock" it with a screwdriver and hammer to knock it round (anti-clockwise)

The pump sits in petrol and if you regularly run low on fuel, it can stick.

Once the top is off the tank you can tap the pump with a small hammer or similar and see if it spins into life.

For info, a duff fuel pump will not throw any fault lights or show on diagnostics.

Rule of thumb - if you can't hear it - it's duff.

New pump from the like of Euro Car parts is about £120 and takes less than 20 mins to fit.

hope this helps

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0