THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Opinion on Dealer Maintenance and OBD Lock?

01-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quickest Stock Turbo F8X

Opinion on Dealer Maintenance and OBD Lock?

I was thinking of getting a obd2 port lock for when I take my car in for maintenance. I have done coding, along with an Enzo Tune and don't want them to dig around.

Could they refuse service? i.e Oil Changes and Brake Pads?

I get how they could if I blew my engine, and they needed to know. But if nothing is wrong with the car, do they have the right to refuse service?

My reasoning would be that due to the Driver Privacy Act of 2015, which states I own my electronic data, I have to right block it out.

Thoughts and opinions?
      01-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

Why not.
If the technician needs access to perform the service or a repair you can grant it. Otherwise, what would be the basis for not providing service?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Interesting concept. I was under the impression the first thing they did at every service was to hook up the car. No?
      01-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud IX View Post
I was thinking of getting a obd2 port lock for when I take my car in for maintenance. I have done coding, along with an Enzo Tune and don't want them to dig around.

Could they refuse service? i.e Oil Changes and Brake Pads?

I get how they could if I blew my engine, and they needed to know. But if nothing is wrong with the car, do they have the right to refuse service?

My reasoning would be that due to the Driver Privacy Act of 2015, which states I own my electronic data, I have to right block it out.

Thoughts and opinions?
I really don't think such a drastic measure is necessary. I would just stipulate that they not update any software or make any other firmware updates. Precisely because of that law, a dealer supplying you with warranty and/or scheduled maintenance service unrelated to anything diagnostic or data-related can't refuse that service because it was part of the purchase price of your car -- just like the electronics are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
Interesting concept. I was under the impression the first thing they did at every service was to hook up the car. No?
Sure -- it's SOP to read any codes (preventative, partially) and log the car into the national service database. But the dealer doesn't HAVE to do it -- at least not for things like brake-pad changes and oil changes. That stuff resets via the trip-computer reset button/pedal/engine on-off switch input.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Live4USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport/2016 340XI

I was under the impression that the dealer reads codes etc through the key when the service advisor scans it.
Appreciate 0