BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Transferring Parts

02-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

Transferring Parts

So as an M235i owner, I'm a bit interested in seeing if my FBO parts will cleanly transfer to the M2. So do you think the Catless DP, JB4, ER Charge Pipes, and FMIC would be able to be swapped on to the M2 without any issues? I don't see why not? It's merely a built N55?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

I would like to know this as well. I have a catless ER DP and ER CP.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GENIUS View Post
It's merely a built N55?
Stop saying that. It most likely shares a block casting with the S55 (regardless of that, it doesn't even use an N55 block), uses different pistons, etc. It is not a "built N55", unless by built, you mean an entirely new shortblock.

But anyway, the JB4 will at a minimum need to be reprogrammed, if it even works at all. Not sure Terry would even offer such a service. You have to remember, even if it shares the same turbo/interface/etc., your boost targets will be off, as the car clearly runs more from the factory. You're probably looking at selling it.

No way to know what the exhaust looks like and thus no way to know if your DP will work. Seems like a decent chance it will though.

I thought the intake was different, someone can confirm that.

Not sure on the I/C...but again, if there is a different intake on the car, odds that your IC plumping is the same probably isn't great.

In general, this is clearly a question that you're just going to have to "wait and see" about. No one is going to be able to give you a clear answer at this point, obviously.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

It looked like a decent look was had at the downpipe from the powertrain video. Unless that wasn't it.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
It looked like a decent look was had at the downpipe from the powertrain video. Unless that wasn't it.
I haven't watched yet...but someone with a good F series eye could probably venture a good guess if at least the DP looks like it would fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
It's merely a built N55?
Stop saying that. It most likely shares a block casting with the S55 (regardless of that, it doesn't even use an N55 block), uses different pistons, etc. It is not a "built N55", unless by built, you mean an entirely new shortblock.

But anyway, the JB4 will at a minimum need to be reprogrammed, if it even works at all. Not sure Terry would even offer such a service. You have to remember, even if it shares the same turbo/interface/etc., your boost targets will be off, as the car clearly runs more from the factory. You're probably looking at selling it.

No way to know what the exhaust looks like and thus no way to know if your DP will work. Seems like a decent chance it will though.

I thought the intake was different, someone can confirm that.

Not sure on the I/C...but again, if there is a different intake on the car, odds that your IC plumping is the same probably isn't great.

In general, this is clearly a question that you're just going to have to "wait and see" about. No one is going to be able to give you a clear answer at this point, obviously.
Well BMWNA still considers it as an N55, but yes I meant built as in full forged rotating assembly.

I think I have seen a picture though of the engine bay and I thought I did notice the intake was a bit different so you're probably right on the Charge Pipes and FMIC.

As for the JB4, I think you could probably run a MAP 6 and adjust the boost targets accordingly.

Nonetheless, it will be exciting if they do transfer just fine!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well BMWNA still considers it as an N55, but yes I meant built as in full forged rotating assembly.

I think I have seen a picture though of the engine bay and I thought I did notice the intake was a bit different so you're probably right on the Charge Pipes and FMIC.

As for the JB4, I think you could probably run a MAP 6 and adjust the boost targets accordingly.

Nonetheless, it will be exciting if they do transfer just fine!
No, it's not simply a forged rotating assembly. It's a completely different block. Closed deck, likely shared with the S55.

Who cares what they named it? That's most likely a marketing move.

It's almost as different as the S55 vs. the regular N55. Again, what's in a name? In this case, less than they'd lead you to believe. As evidenced by your own impression, and that of many, many others, their marketing has worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No, it's not simply a forged rotating assembly. It's a completely different block. Closed deck, likely shared with the S55.

It's almost as different as the S55 vs. the regular N55. Again, what's in a name? In this case, less than they'd lead you to believe. As evidenced by your own impression, and that of many, many others, their marketing has worked.

I got into back in August about how the name doesn't really mean anything, and we can't tell the revisions by a simple engine code, and was told i didn't know what i was talking about, and that BMW would never do a radical change like a new block without giving it an S55 designation.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory View Post

I got into back in August about how the name doesn't really mean anything, and we can't tell the revisions by a simple engine code, and was told i didn't know what i was talking about, and that BMW would never do a radical change like a new block without giving it an S55 designation.
Just because the M2 and F8X both have closed-decks doesn't mean their blocks are identical.
The N55B30T0 is a variant of the N55B30O0, closed-deck notwithstanding. The N55B30T0 is neither a variant of nor a detuned version of the S55.

Much like part numbers, chassis codes, and development codes, the engine codes have little to do with marketing. They are used for internal reference within a corporation.
The engineers decided that the N55B30T0's technical updates did not warrant a new engine code.
That's the end of it. There is no ulterior motive.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

I think it's funny OP's username is BMW GENIUS but he asked a question like this.

Not that I have the definitive answer, just thought I would share my amusement.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory View Post

Just because the M2 and F8X both have closed-decks doesn't mean their blocks are identical.
The N55B30T0 is a variant of the N55B30O0, closed-deck notwithstanding. The N55B30T0 is neither a variant of nor a detuned version of the S55.

Much like part numbers, chassis codes, and development codes, the engine codes have little to do with marketing. They are used for internal reference within a corporation.
The engineers decided that the N55B30T0's technical updates did not warrant a new engine code.
That's the end of it. There is no ulterior motive.
Thank you. My point exactly. I wouldn't be a BMW Genius without asking questions and learning more. I have to accredit you all to a good portion of it
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
We know they're not identical, as the M2's uses liners vs. the arc coating on the S55.

The point is, why would BMW use a different 3.0l, N55-based, closed-deck casting for the M2 when they already had one from the S55?

It makes all the sense in the world that it shares the S55 basic casting. Some reviews have said as much...I doubt they just made that up.

And what do you mean "closed deck not withstanding?" The S55 is N55 based as well, remember? It uses general N55 architecture, but with a closed deck block, different pistons, oiling system, etc. Does that sound familiar?

When you change the block, rotating assembly, etc. a name doesn't mean anything anymore.

From a bottom end standpoint, the M2's "N55" is just as different as the S55 is to the standard "N55". The basics of the engine are entirely different. So again, get off the name convention...

BMW engine codes are nothing like part numbers, or internal references. They are, in fact, widely used as part of their marketing literature. Do you not see all the BMW-provided writeups referencing engine codes, etc.? Why do they do that? Marketing.

"That's the end of it"?

Oh really? Is that because you're the "law"? :derp:

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-17-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

P.S.

Most manufacturers use an engine's block as the basis for it's naming. It's the foundation of the engine. The M2's "N55" uses an entirely different foundation than the rest of the "N55" family. Again, what's in a name?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
We know they're not identical, as the M2's uses liners vs. the arc coating on the S55.

The point is, why would BMW use a different 3.0l, N55-based, closed-deck casting for the M2 when they already had one from the S55?

It makes all the sense in the world that it shares the S55 basic casting. Some reviews have said as much...I doubt they just made that up.

And what do you mean "closed deck not withstanding?" The S55 is N55 based as well, remember? It uses general N55 architecture, but with a closed deck block, different pistons, oiling system, etc. Does that sound familiar?

When you change the block, rotating assembly, etc. a name doesn't mean anything anymore.

From a bottom end standpoint, the M2's "N55" is just as different as the S55 is to the standard "N55". So again, get off the name convention...

It is 100% marketing.
There is no conspiracy theory. Marketing only affects naming conventions of products, not how they are assigned to be referenced in technical documents.

There are also "reviews" that claim the opposite.
Until the technical sheets are released, your claim is only an assumption.

If you look at the genealogy, the S55 is based on the N55, yes. But the N55B30T0 and S55B30 are siblings, not twins.
Just because you and your brother are from the same mother, doesn't make the two of you identical.

You keep telling everyone to dismiss nomenclature but its obvious why when discussing, developing, or working on anything technical, the nomenclature cannot be ignored.
If the engineers referred to all BMW 3.0L Inline-sixes as "BMW 3.0 Inline-sixes", BMW is not going to do very well.
There is a real technical reason engine codes are assigned and there is also a reason why the N55B30T0 is still part of the N55 engine family.
Again, the revisions made compared to the based N55B30O0 engine were not significant enough to warrant an entirely new engine code.
They may be significant to you and I, and to the consumer of the final product, but from a technical standpoint, it is still an updated variant of the N55.

There's really is nothing more, nothing less.
Again, there is no marketing conspiracy, so you need to drop that claim.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
P.S.

Most manufacturers use an engine's block as the basis for it's naming. It's the foundation of the engine. The M2's "N55" uses an entirely different foundation than the rest of the "N55" family. Again, what's in a name?
I agree. If the S55 name wasn't already taken I have no doubt that the motor in the M2 would of had that name. The M2 is a real "M" motor...an S motor...just missed out on the name.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

There are also "reviews" that claim the opposite.
Until the technical sheets are released, your claim is only an assumption.
? Per BMW's mouth, it uses a closed deck block (whether they made an entirely new base cast vs. the S55 or not).

Any reviews that say it shares the regular N55's block are beyond comical at this point in time.

In fact, where are these reviews?

And no one needs to drop any claim. Who the hell are you to say so? Your opinion is somehow superior than anyone elses?

Yeah, BMW, nor any other manufacturer, ever tries tricky marketing...never.

You call it an N55 so that people assume what so many people have already...that it's just a tuned up N55. It worked. Countless posts a day are made correcting people. Imagine their surprise when they learn all that is different (read: almost all the major engine components , many shared with the S55)...

I don't care what they call it.

But the point is, changing the entire bottom end and calling it an N55 is hardly reflective of BMW's historic naming policies. Can you think of any other engine that carries a different block, but the same engine code anywhere else in their history? Jesus, even the M series in the E36 M3 got an "S" designation, and that had MUCH less changed.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-17-2016 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
P.S.

The N62B44 and N62B48 don't share blocks either. In fact, they have different displacements. But they have the same basic architecture.

No manufacturer is immune to this. The K24Z6 in the 9th gen Civic Si and the K24Z7 in the late model CR-V have different horsepowers, compression ratios, etc. Still a K-series engine, because same architecture, hence same family.

Engine families are differentiated not by block, but by architecture.
The N55B30T0 and N55B30O0 share the same technical architecture, hence N55 family.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
? Per BMW's mouth, it uses a closed deck block (whether they made an entirely new base cast vs. the S55 or not).

Any reviews that say it shares the regular N55's block are beyond comical at this point in time.

Closed-deck is correct.
Sharing the same block with the S55 is your own bogus claim.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I agree. If the S55 name wasn't already taken I have no doubt that the motor in the M2 would of had that name. The M2 is a real "M" motor...an S motor...just missed out on the name.
Also incorrect, BMW M would've added a "/2" suffix.
Much like what they did with the S70.
Base S70 = 850CSi V12
S70/2 = McLaren F1 V12

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #20
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
And no one needs to drop any claim. Who the hell are you to say so? Your opinion is somehow superior than anyone elses?

Fine. Keep thinking the N55B30T0 is a detuned S55 if it helps you sleep at night. I'm simply sharing information about how internal nomenclature works. Its not a model name; model names are dictated by marketing. Development codes and the-like are dictated by technical necessity.
But if you want to stick to your fantasy, then more power to you.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #21
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:

You call it an N55 so that people assume what so many people have already...that it's just a tuned up N55. It worked. Countless posts a day are made correcting people. Imagine their surprise when they learn all that is different (read: almost all the major engine components , many shared with the S55)...

I don't care what they call it.

But the point is, changing the entire bottom end and calling it an N55 is hardly reflective of BMW's historic naming policies. Can you think of any other engine that carries a different block, but the same engine code anywhere else in their history? Jesus, even the M series in the E36 M3 got an "S" designation, and that had MUCH less changed.
He's just mad that the M2 will make his S65 seem like it's standing still. Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #22
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fine. Keep thinking the N55B30T0 is a detuned S55 if it helps you sleep at night. I'm simply sharing information about how internal nomenclature works. Its not a model name; model names are dictated by marketing. Development codes and the-like are dictated by technical necessity.
But if you want to stick to your fantasy, then more power to you.
I don't consider it a detuned S55, but thanks. Call it an N56. But don't redesign the entire heart of the engine, and leave a name slapped on it that causes nothing but confusion.

And again, engine codes are NOT dictated by "technical necessity". Again, the "S50" in the E36 M3 was essentially an M50 bottom end with new pistons end rod, etc. Same damn block, etc.

You're sharing information about how internal nomenclature works? I'm sorry, do you work in BMW's engine department?

Again, who the heck do you think you are?

Enlighten us into the internal policies of a company you don't work for...

Jackass.
Appreciate 0