BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Takata Airbags?

02-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Takata Airbags?

Has anyone asked BMW what kind of airbags are in the new M2?

The trend is to continue with production in spite of known problems. Nothing can stand in the way of new car sales. They will just correct it later.

Owners of some models are being instructed to not sell their cars until the recall is complete. And then the recall is delayed for weeks and months until the replacement components are available and technician training is complete.

It may be safer to just keep on driving that 15 year old BMW until all this dust settles.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
Has anyone asked BMW what kind of airbags are in the new M2?

The trend is to continue with production in spite of known problems. Nothing can stand in the way of new car sales. They will just correct it later.

Owners of some models are being instructed to not sell their cars until the recall is complete. And then the recall is delayed for weeks and months until the replacement components are available and technician training is complete.

It may be safer to just keep on driving that 15 year old BMW until all this dust settles.
I follow the industry pretty closely. So many manufactures have stopped buying airbags from Takata that they are having to shut down production at most of their facilities. They have tarnished their reputation to the point that most manufactures have come right out and said they won't do business with them any longer. I don't know if BMW has said it publicly but because they just announced a huge recall of Takata airbag inflator cars (pretty much every 3 series made between 2006 and 2013) I would be surprised if they are still using them.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

That would be ridiculous to continue to use a known defective part. Surely there are plenty of other options/air bag makers out there...
Appreciate 1