E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler spiking ambient temp sensor

04-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Snypa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Like a mahdman !

Intercooler spiking ambient temp sensor

Hey guys...car is a 2007 335i e90. Recently I had a 7 inch fmic installed and ever since tha the ambient temp reading inside the car has gone up as far as reading +115 degrees F and during those times it has only been 85 degrees here. By time it gets to that reading my radiator fans are blasting, whether the AC is on or off. First thing came to mind was the thermostat or pump about to go, however no fault code for either just yet and if that was the case why would it affect the ambient sensor? If the ambient sensor is just too near to the fmic would it trigger the radiator fans and is it normal for the intercooler to get super hot? Unable to check the coolant temp however when this happens the oil reading is normal.

Any ideas appreciated, I'm stumped. This didn't happen at all with the stock intercooler.
      04-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Under which condition are they spiking? Idle, WOT, normal highway driving?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypa View Post
Hey guys...car is a 2007 335i e90. Recently I had a 7 inch fmic installed and ever since tha the ambient temp reading inside the car has gone up as far as reading +115 degrees F and during those times it has only been 85 degrees here. By time it gets to that reading my radiator fans are blasting, whether the AC is on or off. First thing came to mind was the thermostat or pump about to go, however no fault code for either just yet and if that was the case why would it affect the ambient sensor? If the ambient sensor is just too near to the fmic would it trigger the radiator fans and is it normal for the intercooler to get super hot? Unable to check the coolant temp however when this happens the oil reading is normal.

Any ideas appreciated, I'm stumped. This didn't happen at all with the stock intercooler.
Could you have damaged the sensor or the wiring during the install?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Sounds like a damaged sensor. A FMIC will have no effect on the ambient temps outside
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Sounds like a damaged sensor. A FMIC will have no effect on the ambient temps outside
Maybe I read I misunderstood what he said, but I think he meant IAT is ~ 30 degree over ambient temps

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
"ever since that the ambient temp reading inside the car has gone up as far as reading +115"

He's referring to the reading on the dash for the external temp, not the IAT.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"ever since that the ambient temp reading inside the car has gone up as far as reading +115"

Oh then yea not sure how this is FMIC related

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yup, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Oh then yea not sure how this is FMIC related
Agreed. What would cause both radiator fans to be running super hard followed by increasing ambient temperature reading?

Quote:
Agreed. What would cause both radiator fans to be running super hard followed by increasing ambient temperature reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Could you have damaged the sensor or the wiring during the install?

I guess anything is possible however shop said they didnt touch anything with it. I feel i may have to take a look for myself. They also assured me that the location of the sensor was not changed.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Under which condition are they spiking? Idle, WOT, normal highway driving?
So far it has been happening under normal driving, yesterday in partciular was bumper to bumper traffic hour a good 45 mnutes...and it went up to 120, however I have been in bumper to bumper traffic before intercooler install and never seen that temp. I havent done any WOT just for this reason, or making it rise quicker. Today seemed normal with/without AC, so really not sure whats going on.
      04-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
GODDSPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I cut the tip off my sensor during my FMIC install. Very easy to nick the sensor with the Dremel. Just replaced the ambient sensor and it fixed my problem.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 F31 X5

Hey I have this exact same issue after I just installed my ETS FMIC. My ambient gauge went up to 99 degrees and my rad fan kicked on even though its 70 degrees out. This was after some spirited driving on a Stage 1+ tune. Went back down to Stage 1 and dont have the issue anymore though.

I know the sensor is located close to the FMIC, but not sure if the sensor is damaged or is just reading heat from the new FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDSPD View Post
I cut the tip off my sensor during my FMIC install. Very easy to nick the sensor with the Dremel. Just replaced the ambient sensor and it fixed my problem.
Hmmm so you had the same issue as me? I may have to source a sensor online and just check for myself. It also takes a while before it starts doing it so this will be some troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #12
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Hey I have this exact same issue after I just installed my ETS FMIC. My ambient gauge went up to 99 degrees and my rad fan kicked on even though its 70 degrees out. This was after some spirited driving on a Stage 1+ tune. Went back down to Stage 1 and dont have the issue anymore though.

I know the sensor is located close to the FMIC, but not sure if the sensor is damaged or is just reading heat from the new FMIC?
Yeah I'm being told that the sensor is to the right of the intercooler...so on the passenger side. Let me know what you figure out. Is it clear that the sensor is related somewhat to the rad fans? The first time it happened I thought the maybe my water pump thermostat was about to kick the bucket. The other thing might be that the intercooler isn't getting enough air. I'll start by taking off the grill although I didn't want to. Are you pre lci?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #13
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm being told that the sensor is to the right of the intercooler...so on the passenger side. Let me know what you figure out. Is it clear that the sensor is related somewhat to the rad fans? The first time it happened I thought the maybe my water pump thermostat was about to kick the bucket. The other thing might be that the intercooler isn't getting enough air. I'll start by taking off the grill although I didn't want to. Are you pre lci?
Naw 2010 LCI. I dont know if the RAD fan kicked on because it was hot, or because of the sensor. I do know that my IAT's were sitting at 144. I flashed back to regular Stage 1 and I don't have the problem anymore and of course my temps are lower.

Im gonna try to run a log with Stage 1+ this weekend and see if the problem comes back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #14
GODDSPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hmmm so you had the same issue as me? I may have to source a sensor online and just check for myself. It also takes a while before it starts doing it so this will be some troubleshooting.
Not exactly. Mine showed an error code instead of varied/incorrect temps, but that's because I cut mine clean off.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I emailed ETS and heres what they wrote back:

"I recommend double checking your install and making sure the sensor isn't touching your A/C condenser. Let me know what you find out."
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I emailed ETS and heres what they wrote back:

"I recommend double checking your install and making sure the sensor isn't touching your A/C condenser. Let me know what you find out."
Interesting. Lately....it hasn't been doing it, however I have been monitoring it and babying the car somewhat. I'm supposed to be replacing my jack sometime this week and hope to go under and checkout just what type of job this shop did. from the outside and from what I can see...its a clean install, but I would love to check if the sensor is touching either the Intercooler/radiator or AC condenser.
      04-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #17
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Lately....it hasn't been doing it, however I have been monitoring it and babying the car somewhat. I'm supposed to be replacing my jack sometime this week and hope to go under and checkout just what type of job this shop did. from the outside and from what I can see...its a clean install, but I would love to check if the sensor is touching either the Intercooler/radiator or AC condenser.
Let me know man. I'm thinking in my case it just had to do with me flashing a tune and clearing some codes, because I can reproduce the issue every time. Now that Ive stayed on one map the problem hasnt come back.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #18
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Let me know man. I'm thinking in my case it just had to do with me flashing a tune and clearing some codes, because I can reproduce the issue every time. Now that Ive stayed on one map the problem hasnt come back.
So, if you can almost reproduce it every time now, whats the explanation? too aggressive of a tune? Mine has subsided....still don't know what happened weeks ago. no explanation on this side.
      04-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #19
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, if you can almost reproduce it every time now, whats the explanation? too aggressive of a tune? Mine has subsided....still don't know what happened weeks ago. no explanation on this side.
Nah I dont think it has anything to do with the aggressiveness. When I flash a tune on my car, the SES light usually comes on for some reason. When I use MHD to "clear other modules codes" to get rid of the SES light, my ambient temp shoots up. Next time I drive its back to normal though.

I "think" my rad fans coming on at the same time was a coincidence, only because I was driving my car hard when I first flashed the Stage 1+ and had recently installed the FMIC. Not sure if the ECU needs a little time to adjust to the new FMIC? My IAT's havent gone up as high as they did my first drive anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #20
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nah I dont think it has anything to do with the aggressiveness. When I flash a tune on my car, the SES light usually comes on for some reason. When I use MHD to "clear other modules codes" to get rid of the SES light, my ambient temp shoots up. Next time I drive its back to normal though.

I "think" my rad fans coming on at the same time was a coincidence, only because I was driving my car hard when I first flashed the Stage 1+ and had recently installed the FMIC. Not sure if the ECU needs a little time to adjust to the new FMIC? My IAT's havent gone up as high as they did my first drive anymore.
ECU needing time to adjust could be possible however I can be wrong..and with no one hardly having this issue ever based on my searching is just....strange. so far its been going way better however I'm still watching it.
      05-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Issue haven't re-surfaced. No idea what that was all about. My car has issues i guess...fixed herself.
      06-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
Snypa
Captain
Rep

Just an update....the issue remains. Switched from COBB to MHD and still experiencing the same symptoms. Only thing I can assume now is that because its the 7" intercooler taking in more hot air and possibly letting off too, its spiking the ambient sensor thus making the fans come on. While sitting int he car the other day, temp gauge read 100 and it stayed constant with the rad fans on blast. 1/4 of my intercooler is also hidden behind the lower part of my bumper which makes me to believe that it can get more air.