BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Review driving in Germany & Austria

04-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

M2 Review driving in Germany & Austria

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found this review on a Facebook page from the guy who got to drive the M2 with the other supercars from the following video:

This is NOT my review so I cannot comment on the statements posted..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I will try to keep this short and I will try to include some comparisons with the 1M, M235i, M4 and M3 e46. I have to this first that the last time I drove a 1M was last year in the summer, the M4 in April of last year and the M3 e46 and M235i were driven in September of last year.

First of all the BMW M2 I have is a press car from BMW HQ. I got it ahead of my own M2 which is coming in two weeks time. I have the car until the 19th and I am driving it across Germany to Monaco and back, taking on highways, mountain passes and twisty roads, but most of it will be highways.
Yesterday I drove the car from Munich to southern Germany near Austria, to ABT in Kempten and then to Innsbruck as part of a convoy with Shmee150. You will see the car a lot on his YouTube and social media channels.
Let me first go through some highlights of the car. Is it brilliant? Yes, it is totally. However there are remarks, it is not sublime and it has its flaws, although those are small and not big, and are points to discuss. In the end we are critical Bimmer fans.

Exterior:
Not much that I can say. You all know it and we have been discussing the pro's and con's over the past weeks. My main concern are the plastic bits here and there, but we have M Performance parts so we can change them if we want. Same goes for the silver everywhere which I will replace. The color is an interesting one. LBB is like a kameleon, it changes constantly to a different kind of blue. Darker, lighter, more green tint in it, or less green tint it. Amazingly, it moves depending on the light around it.

Interior:
Also discussed many, many times. I do not have much to discuss here, only little things. The center dashboard cluster for the speedo and rpm can be quite dark sometimes. I never had that problem with the 1M, but in certain light situations it is not as good readable as I hoped. Maybe I have to get used to it more. Another point is that I like to have my main beam lights on sooner. The auto light setting took a while to switch them on. I changed it to always ON and I leave it there. The ASD is only annoying in the Sport modes. The active sound it produces is crap, so I will have it disengaged. I just hate that system. Personal thing I think wink emoticon Other than that, not much to mention. All is well and works as I am used too. Feels decently made and is what you expect from BMW and its quality.

Soundtrack:
The car is loud! Louder than I thought, a lot louder even. Especially cold start is much better than I thought. The exhaust sounds great while driving, much better than the M4 soundtrack. It is much better live than on video. The camera simply cannot get the nice sound track. It really fits to the car, but there is always room for improvement. I would like to have a better burble from lift off and a much higher pitched sound from the exhaust which six-in-line engines are known for. Down pipes and an aftermarket exhaust system will fix that.

Powertrain:
Absolutely sublime and one of the highlights of the car. The power delivery through the DCT is brilliant and excellent. It is fast, not superfast, but fast and climbs with ease to 250 kmh. No question about that! The way it picks up and puts the power down is definitely one of the best features of the car. It is not all the time screaming that it does not have enough traction. The gearbox shifts excellent and is really similar to the M4 set up. There is not much between it, and changing the sports modes really gives you a clear difference between the gearbox modes and how it handles.

Brakes:
Also here not much to mention. Wonderful paddle feel, and nice transition through the breaking momentum. Also really similar to the setup of the M4, although I drove most of the time in a M4 with the carbon ceramics so that is not really a fair comparison.

Handling:
The handling is another highlight of the car. It sticks and handles excellently. The press was saying this and yes you feel it while driving it. The car feels small, but not too small. It really feels like the 1M and M3 E46, and it is definitely smaller than the M4. You notice how nimble it is, but also that it is not a small hatchback. The boxy nature of the setup of the suspension is really similar to the 1M and how it handles is a lot different from the M235i. It is a clear difference.

Steering:
The only remark I have is about the steering. The car uses the same steering rack as the M4, and as far as I know it is electronic. You feel the slight disconnected behavior of the steering. It is exactly the same problem the M4 has. It is definitely not bad, but it does not steering feel like a M3 e46 or a 1M. Those are better, although the differences are so small. I will have a better look at the steering in the coming days, but overall if I have to choose a negative then it is the steering. Before everyone starts a whole story about it in the comments. The steering is not bad, but it is not as good as the previous cars. It is just less communicative then those. The difference is really minimal, and the steering of the M2 is in the top among its competitors in current market, but if I had to find a remark (and that is hard) this would be it.

Overall, the M2 is a mix between the compact set up of the M235i & 1M and the abilities of the current M4. You feel it everywhere in the car when you drive it. It is a bit of a mini-M4, and that is not a bad thing at all. It is more a mini-M4 than a 1M, because the 1M was from a different generation. It is a new 1M with all the best bits from the M4, and a way better car than the M235i. The difference is huge! Both cars are different generations and it is visible in many of the subjects, although the concept as a car is extremely similar. The M2 is the new 1M.

In the end, this is a really fast early impression of the car. I really need to sit down and write a better and longer story for you guys. I wrote this in 30 minutes this morning and it gives you a first initial look. I will not have much time to reply to you guys, because I am driving all day. I just wanted to share with you my first impression, since you all asked for it. So this is what I wrote down. I hope you like it."

Last edited by AlexCirci; 04-11-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0