E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335i might be it...

03-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
jj thumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

My 335i might be it...

Is it just me or are others feeling a bit jaded by the cost of all these new cars. I thought a 335 was a stretch. After stopping by my dealer to pick up some new floormats I saw the E92 M3. $70,000 dollar sticker and all, and that’s without DSG!

I love cars as much as the next guy but how much is this hobby gonna cost me? What after the M3? A Carrera? A R8? A Zr1? I can’t see myself spending that much on a car. It just seems irresponsible.

I know there are bigger issues in the world than someone trying to rationalize an indulgent purchase. Sorry for the rant. Maybe it just sucks growing up.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
jjang201
Rep
Drives: 04 Acura TL

There are still a few bargains out there amongst the grossly overpriced market for cars.

For example, the G35 sedan.

and this hobby doesn't have to cost you another cent if you become content with what you have.

But then again, who is?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
attorneyscott
Smokin' a Siglo VI...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i, Dinan Stage 3

???

This hobby can cost you as much as you let it. Two months in to 335i ownership, I've spent $5k on upgrades, with another $3500 going out by the end of March. By the time I'm done, I'll be surprised if I don't have at least $70K in my 335i. Some of the 3-Series Bimmers I see on this forum are probably pushing $100K (including mods obviously).

That's not too bad -- I saw a road test of a Ferrari F430 recently that had over $70K in FACTORY OPTIONS!!! And I'd buy that car without a second's hesitation if I could drop a quarter mil on a ride.

The infiniti G is an overpriced maxima. want a bargain? buy a used mustang V-8 for 10K.

I can't remember anyone ever telling me that being a rabid car enthusiast was going to be cheap...
'08 E92 335i black sapphire/saddle, 6MT, sport/prem., CA, PDC, Sirius, Ipod/usb, HDR, Htd. Sts., Dinan Stage 3 flash/oil cooler/intercooler/exhaust/Stage 3 susp., MORR VS7's, Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s, BMW Perf. Parts STSK, Dinan/Quaife 3.08 LSD!!
'06 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged; Zambezi Silver/Ivory/Piano Black Wood, SICK NASTY In Car Entertainment - seriously, will make your brain bleed

Last edited by attorneyscott; 03-13-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: to make it better
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
2manycars1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cv

The "hobby " can become an obsession

Though I have slowed down some, I have had 121 cars in the past 12 years. Yes I know it isn't normal. The only good thing-if you want to call it that, is the fact that I get great deals from Porsche, Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura and Jaguar.

For what ever it is worth, my 08 335 convertible may be the best all around car I have owned, and as I said I have a lot to compare it to!

My point is, though it is fun changing cars every few weeks or months, in the long run you lose so much money. The only cars I ever drove for a short time and actually made money on were the new release cars, like the launch SL500, and the first SC430, and the early CLK convertibles. I guess it is good that I can not afford to lose that much money any more.

I have had the 08 335 since October-almost a new record for me.

P.S. note the name-2manycars1
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
ruxp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by attorneyscott View Post
The infiniti G is an overpriced maxima. want a bargain? buy a used mustang V-8 for 10K.
C'mon, that's a ridiculous thing to say.. the G35 is a very nice car. If I hadn't gotten a 335, a G35x would've been my second choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You either justify the cost of the car your buying or you can't.

I find the money I'll spend on a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche/etc. worth every penny. A lot of people cannot imagine buying a car that costs the price of a home.

The same goes for modding cars, any kind. Some peeps don't understand the infatuation with modifiying a car from stock. As others can't fathem, not doing anything to a car to meet their own unique style to set them apart from the pack.

If cars are your hobby, God knows they've been mine since I was born, it's something that will always be in your heart. The only thing that holds you back is the amount of money you can spend at a given moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

There are certainly many different ways you can spend money on the car. If you consistently find yourself buying honda civics then hanging neon lights on it and selling at a 50% loss each time, then you need to stimulate your brain in an effort to generate more brain cells. However I know many people that enjoy driving around with ferarris but when they sell them they often times fetch more money out of the car. In another words you may buy a 50K car 3 times then sell it at 50%, end result you loose 75K over that period OR you can buy a 150K car that you later sell for 170K, as a result even though your original purchase was 3 times more, at the end you come out on top.

Now that said, for a daily driver you should consider a lot more than the collectability of it. That's why I like have a daily driver and a nice side toy which does not depreciate in value therefore I don't feel guilty putting money into it, and in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a very expensive purchase either.
      03-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
indeed Bimmers are expensive, but you know, Bimmers in US are relatively cheap.

I come from Hong Kong and am totally astounded by how cheap Bimmers are in US. M3 for USD$70K? Hong Kong is selling it without DKG for about $150K. Think about that. Obviously I know you can't compare two markets, there are huge differences, but I just hope to make the point that you should be happy that Bimmers in US are not that overly crazily priced.
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj thumper View Post
Is it just me or are others feeling a bit jaded by the cost of all these new cars. I thought a 335 was a stretch. After stopping by my dealer to pick up some new floormats I saw the E92 M3. $70,000 dollar sticker and all, and that’s without DSG!

I love cars as much as the next guy but how much is this hobby gonna cost me? What after the M3? A Carrera? A R8? A Zr1? I can’t see myself spending that much on a car. It just seems irresponsible.

I know there are bigger issues in the world than someone trying to rationalize an indulgent purchase. Sorry for the rant. Maybe it just sucks growing up.

Any thoughts?
Just curious, how old are you? I have similar feelings regarding the issue. I'm fairly young myself at 24, and find myself thinking sometimes, where will this end? When is it good enough? Like someone else mentioned, at some point you need to learn to be content and happy with what you have. And not feel the need to "keep up with the Jones' ". Regardless of age, we should all feel lucky to be driving such great cars. If you think you're paying out the ass for cars down there, try living up here and it won't seem so bad!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
vpfreedude
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Just curious, how old are you? I have similar feelings regarding the issue. I'm fairly young myself at 24, and find myself thinking sometimes, where will this end? When is it good enough? Like someone else mentioned, at some point you need to learn to be content and happy with what you have. And not feel the need to "keep up with the Jones' ". Regardless of age, we should all feel lucky to be driving such great cars. If you think you're paying out the ass for cars down there, try living up here and it won't seem so bad!
I completely agree. I live in Calgary Canada and my 335 sticker price was $73k including a summer & winter wheel kit. Car is basically loaded but still, it's only $5k less than an M3 costs.

I should have bought in the US I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Funny I was thinking that too... My next car will be used as I rather use my money on investments and another house...
Since I graduated from college I've spent over 100k on cars and upgrades sans the 335i. I could have used that for a downpayment on a house! Car's don't make sense but they are sure fun to drive!! (esp the ones you like)
Gary
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpfreedude View Post
I completely agree. I live in Calgary Canada and my 335 sticker price was $73k including a summer & winter wheel kit. Car is basically loaded but still, it's only $5k less than an M3 costs.

Ugh, I take it you have an E93?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
jj thumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:

Im 27. Its not so much keeping up with the Jones', I just think my car enthusiast gene isn’t worth over $800 dollars a month. If I was rich I wouldnt blink an eye but in a world where I have to earn my way its just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
vpfreedude
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 335i M Sport

Quote:
Ugh, I take it you have an E93?
No that was for an e90. It is fully loaded with the exception of bluetooth and I think the summers were $6k.

Too bad I couldn't have held out for the M3 sedan in the fall. Oh well next car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Im 27. Its not so much keeping up with the Jones', I just think my car enthusiast gene isn’t worth over $800 dollars a month. If I was rich I wouldnt blink an eye but in a world where I have to earn my way its just not worth it.
I hear that. I feel the same way, I could be investing this money instead of spending it on a luxury. But you know what, I love this car
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #16
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars1 View Post
Though I have slowed down some, I have had 121 cars in the past 12 years. Yes I know it isn't normal.

That is 10 cars a year. How is that possible?? Even if you had unlimited funds that just sounds crazy. Just about every month you would be selling or buying a car. yikes!
      03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
.:Energie
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda civic

2manycars1,

I'm curious to know what options you have on your 335i?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #18
nospleeny
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

My 2-cents is: This hobby is for people with deep pockets... or at least deeper pockets. Much like gambling at the VIP tables when you know clearly you aren't rich enough to be there.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
Kilockel
I like monkeys.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet black 2006 BMW E90 330i

To those that have been second guessing yourselves: Get out now!

Really, if you're unsure of what you're doing, stop now and wait until you can decide for sure what you want to do. I'm already aware that I will be spending way more money on cars than any person needs to spend in the next few years, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I may not end up as bad as 2manycars1, but I'll sure as hell be close.

It's just not worth it to be unsure of yourself, continue what you're doing, and regret it later.
      03-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
Uraimuri
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92 2008, E87 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpfreedude View Post

E92 335 starts from 64k€ here -- that's $99k and does NOT include even leather or anything else yet.

M3 starts from 113k€ = $175k. (CO2 emission-based car tax punishes M3 a lot)

Heck, even my E92 320d was 50k€ = $77k with the very few options listed below.
2008 E92 320d | Alpine White | Fabric Fluid Anthracite | Brushed Aluminum Trim | 6-speed | 8x18" M5 Reps for Winter | 18" Star Spoke 189 for Summer | Electric Folding Concealed Towbar | Debadged | HiFi | Xenon | Ski Bag | Automatic AC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjang201 View Post
There are still a few bargains out there amongst the grossly overpriced market for cars.

For example, the G35 sedan.

and this hobby doesn't have to cost you another cent if you become content with what you have.

But then again, who is?
I am, when it comes to cars. I'm focusing my energies on other things in life. But I suppose if one measures success by the car they lease or buy, they will never be satisfied. Leasing cos. figured that one out pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

I've been through 18 Porsches and my first BMW, 335i coupe, is currently at the prep center. I'd like to think I'll quit but the M3 is interesting. Drugs would be cheaper.
Appreciate 0