E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Have you removed your vacuum canisters? Any ill effects?

05-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Have you removed your vacuum canisters? Any ill effects?

So there was a recent debate in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209274 about removing your vacuum cans. I understand @twisted tuning has removed his and some other people on the "other" forums have as well.

So 2 days ago I removed mine. I did pre and post logs at WOT, startup, and in all gears under WOT & just normal cruising...

My consensus is (at my psi level on my stock snails) that I have had no side effects and the car behaves as if nothing has happened.

I am enjoying the added space in my engine bay as well. But I wanted to hear from you all what your thoughts on this are. Why are you keeping your canisters? Why did you remove your canisters? Etc...
      05-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

If they wasn't needed in the first place bmw wouldn't have put them on. I beleive they store vacuum in them so the wastegates can open close quicker
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
If they wasn't needed in the first place bmw wouldn't have put them on. I beleive they store vacuum in them so the wastegates can open close quicker
Right I have heard this before. I will also admit that the logic makes sense... However, I have seen BMW over engineer some things.
      05-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
that's a misconception. many manufacturers add stuff to cars that in real world environment are not needed. this is nothing new. just because a car comes with something does not mean it's a necessity or the best design.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Widebody710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did the waste gate rattle go away quicker upon start up?
Interested in doing this for awhile. And was wondering if removing them would have an effect in reducing start up rattle.
How about decel rattle?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebody710 View Post
Interested in doing this for awhile. And was wondering if removing them would have an effect in reducing start up rattle.
How about decel rattle?
never have had rattle on my car so I personally can't comment on that
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebody710 View Post
How about decel rattle?
I have no rattle. SO I am not sure. My car sounds the same upon startup and WOT decel
      05-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Dub and duber
      05-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Right I have heard this before. I will also admit that the logic makes sense... However, I have seen BMW over engineer some things.
I've heard this rhetoric before...

what exactly is everyone referring to when they say this? Off the top of my head, i can't think of a single thing BMW "over engineered" to a point where it's cool to just remove it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Dub and duber
Have you ran any test on your own vehicle pre and post vacuum can removal? Or are you name calling with a dumb and dumber reference simply because you disagree with the OP.

I created this thread to find more people that are able to quantifiably reason with others and have hard evidence that the vacuum cans aren't over engineering and truly do have a purpose.
I'd show my pre and post logs but there's no difference in them.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu? View Post

what exactly is everyone referring to when they say this? Off the top of my head, i can't think of a single thing BMW "over engineered" to a point where it's cool to just remove it.
My oem factory seats. They were electric. I replaced them with recaro's instead. The way bmw reads the tpms data to justify air pressure loss compared to how Lexus does it. Lexus has a more simple approach.
When setting the cruise control, a white "dash" appears from no where to signify you've set your cruise here.
Should I continue the list?
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My oem factory seats. They were electric. I replaced them with recaro's instead. The way bmw reads the tpms data to justify air pressure loss compared to how Lexus does it. Lexus has a more simple approach.
Should I continue the list?
Yes please continue listing things that have absolutely no connection to "over-engineering"

tell me more about how we should all go back to the stone-age with non-electric seats on our street cars. Maybe ditch the power windows too and work on that forearm strength.

Are you also implying we should remove our TPMS and install lexus' version instead?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes please continue listing things that have absolutely no connection to "over-engineering"

tell me more about how we should all go back to the stone-age with non-electric seats on our street cars. Maybe ditch the power windows too and work on that forearm strength.

Are you also implying we should also remove our TPMS and install lexus' version instead?
I'm curious about your logic behind the cruise control indication floating to your set speed. What's your opinion on it?
And yes, they over engineered the electric seats. If you've ever removed a bmw seat and tore it down revealing the motors and mechanics within the seat frame you'd understand why I say this. Further implicated by the sheer weight of the bmw seats due to over engineering.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #14
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious about your logic behind the cruise control indication floating to your set speed. What's your opinion on it?
And yes, they over engineered the electric seats. If you've ever removed a bmw seat and tore it down revealing the motors and mechanics within the seat frame you'd understand why I say this. Further implicated by the sheer weight of the bmw seats due to over engineering.
I don't see a problem with an indicator showing the set speed. Not sure what else you want me to say about that...

Can you explain your expertise in seat mechanics and tell me exactly why BMW's seats are "over-engineered" to a point where it makes more sense to rip them out?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see a problem with an indicator showing the set speed. Not sure what else you want me to say about that...

Can you explain your expertise in seat mechanics and tell me exactly why BMW's seats are "over-engineered" to a point where it makes more sense to rip them out?
You've got a point. No sense in ripping out the seats. I'm simply stating, they've been over engineered. However, we're getting off thread topic.
I'd like to hear from both sides of the fence. Why those that kept the cans. And why those that removed the cans.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #16
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You've got a point. No sense in ripping out the seats. I'm simply stating, they've been over engineered. However, we're getting off thread topic.
I'd like to hear from both sides of the fence. Why those that kept the cans. And why those that removed the cans.
  • there's room for them
  • they aren't heavy
  • they do not commonly leak, and it's easy to check if they're leaking by simply unplugging them and listning for a "whoosh" sound. There are no mechanical parts in them to fail. it's just an empty can
  • logically, they act as a buffer to provide consistent vacuum on demand, rather than drawing straight from the pump

sometimes i think people just screw with things for the sake of having something to do.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
Rustic_potato
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

I have mine removed due to the shitty plastic nipples. My initial plan was to fit the metal barbs in a day or two, but thanks to procrastination and a tad of laziness, it has been more than a month. Have not faced any problems since I removed it though.

I have searched high and low regarding this but have not found anything constructive. My suggestion is to replace it with the metal barbs whenever you have time, and be safe and happy :P

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #18
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 535i Sport W/SAT MHD

Quote:

For me, just about everything in my car is "over engineered" I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But I live in Northern CA where at it's hottest I've seen 120F and at its coldest 0F which by world round standards is really not that bad. The cars are designed to operate far outside of that range. So I appreciate BMW for doing that "engineering" I think what we have stumbled upon is maybe the best example of over engineering out there... I'm sure temperature has a dramatic effect on the efficiency of a vacuum system so they've added some parts to deal with those extreme situations. But "over" engineering is obviously a relative term. Based on J.Dubs info I'll happily remove them if I can come up with something cooler to put in their place lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

I was hoping this thread would have good info, nope. I am, however, another person running without them. No issues.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
If they wasn't needed in the first place bmw wouldn't have put them on.
This is the default answer for anyone that decides to exert zero thought/time/effort into responding with a semi-educated reply to a remotely interesting topic.

Better throw in that it's not "to spec" and "the engineers wasn't never intended for it to be like" just for good measure.

I'm sure they were added to account for EVERY different type of driving condition, elevation, temperature, etc. and to fill in the gaps where a "worn" vacuum system in it's entirety wouldn't completely be up to par; especially under the care of a casual owner. As enthusiasts most here are far from that norm obviously, so excluding them probably won't make much of a difference in real world scenarios (as proven at least 100x by now).
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Shop 335i has been running without the, for about a year now since we installed our first passenger side inlets. I haven't noticed any negative effects.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #22
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
around town at part throttle, I noticed slow boost response when running without them for sure. going WOT or heavy throttle, I did not notice a difference like many others here.
Appreciate 0