E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Schaeffer's Racing Oil

05-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
alexve90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Schaeffer's Racing Oil

Anyone use #9000 Schaeffers Racing oil 5W 50? Just wondering if this is ok for summer for improved protection. Also I know OEM oil is 5w 30 and so would using a different SAE be ok? Friend of mine just started using it on on his e93 M3 after an engine rebuild as recommended by the tech that did the work. With the rod bearing failures starting to pop up more, thinking about making a switch. Thanks
      05-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Don't use racing oil unless you are going to do oil analysis. Typically "real" racing oil lacks the detergent capacity to last more than a couple thousand miles as its assumed racing oil will be changed after each race (like 500 miles or less). The only way to know if it has the additives to last for street use is analysis.

On a side note nobody is less careless than me with oil changes and brand (I follow the indicator which I think is 15k). My last 3 cars were current 156k miles and counting, last car 125k miles and driving fine (put upgraded turbo on at 120k miles), car before that 145k miles. All modified longer than not and never once have had an oil related/long block issue. Drive the car! Parked with an crankcase full of contaminated oil where they don't get burned off is what kills engines/bearings.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
jtswole
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
Don't use racing oil unless you are going to do oil analysis. Typically "real" racing oil lacks the detergent capacity to last more than a couple thousand miles as its assumed racing oil will be changed after each race (like 500 miles or less). The only way to know if it has the additives to last for street use is analysis.

On a side note nobody is less careless than me with oil changes and brand (I follow the indicator which I think is 15k). My last 3 cars were current 156k miles and counting, last car 125k miles and driving fine (put upgraded turbo on at 120k miles), car before that 145k miles. All modified longer than not and never once have had an oil related/long block issue. Drive the car! Parked with an crankcase full of contaminated oil where they don't get burned off is what kills engines/bearings.
Can you explain your last sentence, a little more?
      05-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Short trips can be problematic. Usually you will surpass the boiling point of water and cleanse the oil of condensation. On short trips it will accumulate.
Appreciate 0