THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack M235i Deal - Are the Pirelli All-Season tires a deal breaker?

07-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
underpar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4

M235i Deal - Are the Pirelli All-Season tires a deal breaker?

Thanks in advance for any quick feedback. I couldn't find any specific responses from searching, so I thought I'd post here. Thanks.

I am finalizing a deal on a new M235i. The only sticking point is I really wanted the Michelin PSS summer tires with the increased top speed (155mph). I live in TX, so the weather concern is not a problem. What is a concern is having the speed limited and not having as good traction and having the speed limit reduced.

Is this concern a deal breaker? Are the Pirelli's a "run flat"? Is the ride quality and road noise vastly worse with the Pirelli over the PSS summer tire? Will handling/grip be noticeably worse?

This particular car has all right options. I am working several good deals at the same time, but this car may be my best option (aside from the tires). Although, I'm concerned the tire compromise is a HUGE one because of my previous concerns.

Are there options to swap these tires for the better PSS? Are there dealer options to change the top speed limiter back to 155mph?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
In my opinion, you're the customer, and if you want Michelins, tell them you want Michelins. As far as the differences between the two, the Pirellis should be fine, just don't go to the track with them.

The other option is to take the Pirellis and switch them out to a non-RFT option in the interest of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
remedys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i m-sport

Just wondering why you are so concerned with the speed limiter? Are you going to track the car where you would hit the limiter? It could be coded out, but not sure if the dealer would do it.

As for the tires I don't think they should be a deal breaker, a full set of MPSS from tire rack are around $800, and I am sure you could sell the tires that come on the car to cover off a bunch of the cost. I do believe that the Pirelli tires would be run flats, and they would have less grip. As for being noticeable it really depends on how you plan on driving the car. If the car is the right price with the right options I would not let the tires hold you back.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

You can always have your car ECU flashed to remove the speed limiter.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedys View Post
It could be coded out, but not sure if the dealer would do it.
No it can't. You have limited time to have the speed limiter changed, and it will mostly likely be above that time limit when reaches the dealer. (I think its 10 hours).
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
underpar
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback. I think my 2 main concerns are the following with regards to not having the Michelin PSS summer performance tires:
1. handling and grip during spirited canyon carving, I tend to drive aggressively when there is minimal / no traffic on twisties
2. comfort and road noise as a daily driver

Regarding the speed limiter, I just think it's ridiculous to ever order a car with this level of capability with tires that aren't rated for 155mph (again, I'm in TX, so A/S or Winter tires are really never needed). I am finding it mentally challenging to get over this limitation, even though it would be a rare occasion for me to go over 130mph. I have driven each of my last ~dozen cars over 140mph on very rare occasions. Knowing the car is limited to well below what most German and Italian sport coupes and sport sedans are traditionally limited (155mph) is just difficult to overcome.

However, the options, color, trim, etc. and the deal I am working are all very appealing and there just aren't that many options on M235i's remaining on the market.

So there still appears to be confusion on whether or not the ECU can and is commonly upgraded at a BMW dealer if you transition to the summer high performance tires?? Any definitive answers on this?

And I don't think the dealer will budge on swapping the tires as they are already offering a reasonable discount below MSRP. I would like to make this deal conditional on changing the tires to the Michelin PSS and updating the ECU speed limiter, but at first request, this dealer already said they cannot and will not do this. Should I stand firm? Should I suggest the dealer can keep these tires to outfit CPO car they may have coming in, so it's not a loss for them? Thanks for the guidance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
remedys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i m-sport

I would try and get them to swap tires from another car on the lot for the ones you want, if not offer them the tires for the CPO. If they still won't budge, you could offer them the tires for a CPO car and offer to pay for half a set of MPSS. It might cost you an extra $4-500, but may be a way to get what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I don't know...130-mph seems lackluster.
With tractor trailers cruising at 80 mph sometimes its safer to be able to dispense with an obstruction as quickly as possibe - even if you never speed it's satisfying to know that at 80 mph you won't hit a speed limiter if you accelerate hard for ten-seconds.
Texas and Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona - sometimes it's safer to be able to dispense of a problem vehicle.
I can't argue with those that say speeders are idiots but sometime in certain parts of the country and in certain situations a quick fast car is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

1. handling and grip during spirited canyon carving, I tend to drive aggressively when there is minimal / no traffic on twisties
2. comfort and road noise as a daily driver

There's just no way an all season tire can be nearly as capable as a dedicated summer tire, speed limiter or not. Having those in TX is plain ridiculous. Why buy a performance vehicle and then cripple it with all season tires right off the lot. Just doesn't make sense. Why not just buy a Camry and be done with it. Would save money, too.

Last edited by x233; 07-10-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
The problem is not that it has all season tires. The problem is that the car comes with run flats. I'm using Michelin A/S 3+ and it's performance is very similar to PSSs.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
No it can't. You have limited time to have the speed limiter changed, and it will mostly likely be above that time limit when reaches the dealer. (I think its 10 hours).
Yes, 10 hrs of running time.... it's unusual that the car would have been running for 10hrs before you take delivery so it is technically possible
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Don't forget that those Pirelli's are 225 width all around with the wheels to match which is just really weak for this car. The PSS in general will be a very large step up in handling performance compared to the Pirelli all season, and don't forget you get a wider rear wheel/tire too with the PSS.

I can honestly say the all season tire option is a deal breaker to me and it's a big part of why I ordered my car instead of buying off the lot. But if you're not too busted up about the speed limiter thing you can easily go with it and buy aftermarket wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
underpar
United_States
Rep

I am really torn. I thought this was the right car. Every other option is in line with what I would personally order. However, the fact that the tires are non-performance A/S RUN FLATS and now finding out the wheels are same size front and back, along with the limiter set to max 130mph, I think this all spells deal breaker to me.

I'll continue my search for other options. Thanks all for helping uncover some of these hidden pitfalls. It's simply amazing that a dealer would order this performance car with anything but performance wheel/tire set-up. Crazy. Cheers and I still hope to be joining the M235i club ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

underpar, a few things:
There are benefits to the square same size all four wheels in that you can rotate the tire's and probably get a longer lifespan out of them with some manufacturer pro-rated funding toward replacement if the tire's wear super quick. Since staggered tire's can't be rotated the tire's can never be pro rated toward replacements.

Also, most people will never go over 110 mph much less 130, and many drivers know there habits and can benefit from the run-flat, rotatable set-up.

And the Pirelli's are still fun on the car, you can still powerslide and you can still go very quick.

And if you run into mountainous: ice, hail, snow you have an incredible chassis and capability with the all-season.

Actually the all-season shod is a very nice car for most people, a very safe and capable car.

Then again with the Michelin's and 155 mph top speed the car is fast and grips and is really rather bonkers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #15
underpar
United_States
Rep

Have decided to NOT pursue the car with the wrong wheels and tires. Again, unsure how anyone can order or buy this car with "all season run flats". Performance tires if you're in a a moderate/hot climate, and performance tires / with winter alternating option if you're in an area where winter traction/temps require it. I just don't see a market for the A/S option on this car. If you want all season tires, then it completely disables the handling dynamics and as another poster mentioned, you may as well just be buying a honda civic. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

You just turned down a car because it didn't have the right tires? Doesn't every enthusiast just buy the tires they want anyway?
      07-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
You just turned down a car because it didn't have the right tires? Doesn't every enthusiast just buy the tires they want anyway?
Its not the tires, its the setup that the car comes with because of the tires (limited top speed, not staggered, RFT, etc).

OP: I have heard of a number of dealers swapping the wheels at the dealership after arrival to ensure happiness of the customer. This would not correct the top speed limitation, but if you plan to tune it at all, this may not be as big a deal. Knowing the weather in TX, I would seek the PSS setup as well.

Like DanG, I have the Michelin PS A/S3s (all season, non-RFT version of a PSS) and they are wonderful. Better in the wet than the PSS and nearly as good in the dry. But with your extreme heat summers, PSS will definitely grip better.
      09-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Yes, 10 hrs of running time.... it's unusual that the car would have been running for 10hrs before you take delivery so it is technically possible
what about an ECU flash like the Dinan performance tuner? Would that elimnate the 130mph limit even after the 10 hours?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano22
Quote:
what about an ECU flash like the Dinan performance tuner? Would that elimnate the 130mph limit even after the 10 hours?
If you flash the Ecu then you can set whatever you want
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #20
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
If you flash the Ecu then you can set whatever you want
Great. I picked mine up at the dealer and unlike OP, it wasn't a deal breaker for me, because on the road, I don't plan on doing any racing anyway, but it's still nice to know i could if I wanted to! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #21
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I bought my car with xdrive/all seasons and speed limiter.. No regerts. I track the car, all our local tracks are very technical, short straights.. I got aftermarket VMR wheels with sticky 200 treadwear Hankook RS3v2's for the track.
Appreciate 0