THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Optimum Wheel Size For M235i?

10-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Optimum Wheel Size For M235i?

The factory provides 18's, but I've seen many comments and opinions that the car really needs 19's. What is the real answer here? I'm strictly interested in performance/handling, not appearance. Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and expertise on this topic.

JC
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
The factory provides 18's, but I've seen many comments and opinions that the car really needs 19's. What is the real answer here? I'm strictly interested in performance/handling, not appearance. Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and expertise on this topic.

JC
Larger wheels typically have a higher mass, if the manner of construction (cast vs. forged, for example) is constant. The more the rotating mass, the slower the acceleration, the longer the braking distance. However, shorter sidewall tires can improve steering responsiveness, and shorter sidewalls accompany larger wheels to maintain the same overall diameter. The handling dimension is more related to the size of the tire contact patch, which is a function of treadwidth....235 vs. 225, for example.

Overall, a dollar spent on a superb 18" tire, such as Michelin PSS (if you are ok enjoying them only when our Michigan temps allow, at/above 45 degrees), or Pilot Sport AS3+ for use at any temp as long as the ground has no more than a few winter flakes, will be the greater handling return on investment than changing a wheel size. Given our roads, this will also preserve ride quality, although you didn't mention that. Shorter sidewalls on 19" tires will have more impact harshness on the Michigan Moonscape of our lousy streets and highways.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-08-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
19" wheels in Michigan? Only if you are out of your mind or extremely rich.
I have had two tires replaced in New York in 18 months with 18" wheels.
Luckily, I bought wheel and tire insurance when I purchased the car. If I add in the kerb rash repairs, I have already made my money back.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, you were just reinforcing what I thought. I'm thinking about buying a nice set of wheels for the car, and using the existing (less than exciting) wheels for winter use and was just nailing everything down.

JC
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, you were just reinforcing what I thought. I'm thinking about buying a nice set of wheels for the car, and using the existing (less than exciting) wheels for winter use and was just nailing everything down.

JC
It that case, the next conversation will be about "performance winter" (e.g., Michelin Alpin or Blizzak LM) versus "studless winter" tires (e.g. Michelin XIceix3 or Blizzak WS). If you are relying on this car for our winter, count my vote for "studless", as narrow as possible.

I went a little further....also have a Subaru on snowflake all-terrain tires.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It that case, the next conversation will be about "performance winter" (e.g., Michelin Alpin or Blizzak LM) versus "studless winter" tires (e.g. Michelin XIceix3 or Blizzak WS). If you are relying on this car for our winter, count my vote for "studless", as narrow as possible.

I went a little further....also have a Subaru on snowflake all-terrain tires.
Great minds thinking alike. Just sent you a pm for an extended discussion.

JC
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great minds thinking alike. Just sent you a pm for an extended discussion.

JC
Just answered with another PM!
Appreciate 0