F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Liquid Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40
Studio RSR

12-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Liquid Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

Looking to buy a top tier oil for my N20 for those between the manufacturers 10K/1yr free oil change intervals (I'm going to do it so please no debate). I've read some suggestions on Liquid Moly which is an unknown oil for me as this is my first Euro car in very long time. Is the Liquid Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40 the best replacement oil if for someone that is trying to take the best care of the car as humanly possible. Car will be tracked once a month or so during the warmer months.
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Looking to buy a top tier oil for my N20 for those between the manufacturers 10K/1yr free oil change intervals (I'm going to do it so please no debate). I've read some suggestions on Liquid Moly which is an unknown oil for me as this is my first Euro car in very long time. Is the Liquid Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40 the best replacement oil if for someone that is trying to take the best care of the car as humanly possible. Car will be tracked once a month or so during the warmer months.
I might also recommend Pentosin's products.

Note that the Motul 4100 is an LL-04 oil, which isn't generally recommended for cars run on the higher-sulfur gasolines in the USA, since the sulfur depletes the lower-TBN LL-04 faster than the LL-01 oils which have more TBN to start with. Not really a problem is you're replacing at 5K intervals.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Liqui Moly is a top-tier oil. As floy stated, it is recommended to run LL-01 oil in the US. With Liqui Moly this means either Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 or Special Tec LL 5W-30.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

NO Debate on the oil .

I will let you decide on the oil brand & viscosity since you want NO Debate.
I just would not track the car and only change the oil every 5k.
I would prefer to choose a wall-mart oil and change the oil after say two track days or 5k which ever comes first.
As nutty as I am -- I would change after every track day or 5k --
There are excellent 5w-40 oils at the mart that would do an excellent job.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
I would recommend Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf. Leichtlauf and Special Tec are the only BMW LL-01 certified oils in their product line, and while neither are full synthetic, Leichtlauf has better tech that enables a longer lifespan (or so claimed by Liqui-Moly)... I've used Leichtlauf for years on my Bimmers and Audi, it has been the only oil I've found that does not burn off over the duration of an oil change interval. Otherwise I don't notice much difference in that stuff over typical Mobil 1 or Castrol syntec.
Ultimately I like it because it's certified and made in Germany - designed for these cars. I fully recognize that in normal operating use, there is little discernible difference between most synthetic LL-01 oils.
Appreciate 0