E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Looking for fueling advice after Pure Stg 2 turbo upgrade

View Poll Results: Which option do you think is best considering budget/longevity of the car
VTT Shotgun/overdrive HPFP - straight DI 0 0%
Port Injection w/ current fuel pumps (stock HPFP/Stg 2 LPFP) 0 0%
Port Injection w/ upgraded LPFP (stg 3 or stg 4) 3 100.00%
TBI 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

12-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
drpeckr
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Looking for fueling advice after Pure Stg 2 turbo upgrade

Hey guys! So I recently upgraded my 2008 E90 335 from stock turbos w/ FMIC/Kitty free DPs/Cobb Protune running E50 fuel to include:

Pure Stg 2 (Hi Flow)turbos w/ inlets/outlets
N20 MAP sensor

I switched from a PTF Cobb tune to using MHD. I was hoping for ~550rwhp and maybe ~23psi to redline. That said, my current tuner is running into fueling limitations. From reading about people running straight E85 on stock LPFP, I figured I'd be in ok range with my St2 LPFP to run E50 with the upgraded turbos. Apparently this may not be the case..

I have the Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP but my tuner says the fuel system HPFP/LPFP are both dropping off. I believe the current iteration of my tune is down to ~21psi peak dropping off to 17 at redline. In my last set of logging the tuner had me drop to E40 mix down from E50.

My question is this, and I realize there is no "right answer":

If I want to get some more power out of this and keep my E50 fuel mix (or maybe go to 100% E85 if that becomes possible) what is my best option for fueling keeping in mind I don't have unlimited funds here. So far here's what I've seen:

1. VTT Shotgun/overdrive HPFP.. I see they have a car running over 700HP using direct injection. I like this because it allows the DME to keep track of issues which it can't really do with secondary fueling systems. Unclear if I'd need Stage 3 or 4 LPFP to keep up with this.

2. Fuel-It or some other similar port injection w/ controller. This seems an ok option that might let me keep my power/fueling goals without upgrading either fuel pumps. My concern is the same reason I don't run meth, if you tune for secondary fueling and that fueling source fails, you may blow your motor. From my reading, this seems to be pretty safe esp with 6AT/DCT cars, mine is 6AT.

3. TB Injection. I hear this can cause rich/lean conditions in the cylinders so I'm thinking this is a poor option as car is my DD and I want to keep it running long term.

4. My car is covered under the HPFP recall for another year or two, but Steve from Fuel-It looked at my logs and seemed to think that there's nothing wrong with either of my pumps, Im just exceeding the fueling limit of the system.

5. Do nothing and be happy with whatever power I can get out of my current fueling system.

6. Alternate suggestions I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any advice guys!

Last edited by drpeckr; 12-20-2016 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: removed pricing estimation which I've been notified is a no no on this site, my apologies
Appreciate 1
bartbes48.00
      12-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

How much power do you actually want. Thats what determines what youlll buy
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
drpeckr
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

well as I indicated, I'd like to get to 550whp but I'm not a dyno queen either.. I felt that was a good spot where I could whoop on some fast cars but not thrash my 6AT too badly.. but if I'm going to spend the money, I don't want to short myself additional future upgrades by only looking at my current power "wants"..

Last edited by drpeckr; 12-20-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0