E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cold Start Misfire/Roughness Issue

01-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

My 2007 BMW 335i just had all of its injectors replaced with brand new index 12 injectors as well as replaced all of the spark plugs when the injector swap was done. This morning the cold start was kind of rough for a couple of seconds with fluctuating RPM needle, I guess it was enough to throw a "Service Engine Soon" light so I went to go read it at Advance Auto using their OBD scanner and found codes P0304 and P0306 (cylinder 4 and 6 misfire). The car only does that "misfire" roughness during cold starts. When you start driving the car it's fine like normal. Wondering what the problem behind those codes could be? Could it be a HPFP going out? Although I don't really get long cranks? Any help or input would be appreciated. The car has 57K miles on it, thanks.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish726 View Post
My 2007 BMW 335i just had all of its injectors replaced with brand new index 12 injectors as well as replaced all of the spark plugs when the injector swap was done. This morning the cold start was kind of rough for a couple of seconds, I guess it was enough to throw a "Service Engine Soon" light so I went to go read it at Advance Auto using their OBD scanner and found codes P0304 and P0306 (cylinder 4 and 6 misfire). The car only does that "misfire" roughness during cold starts. When you start driving the car it's fine like normal. Wondering what the problem behind those codes could be? Could it be a HPFP going out? Although I don't really get long cranks? Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have you checked your coils? Also, has the HPFP been replaced already?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
Quote:
My 2007 BMW 335i just had all of its injectors replaced with brand new index 12 injectors as well as replaced all of the spark plugs when the injector swap was done. This morning the cold start was kind of rough for a couple of seconds, I guess it was enough to throw a "Service Engine Soon" light so I went to go read it at Advance Auto using their OBD scanner and found codes P0304 and P0306 (cylinder 4 and 6 misfire). The car only does that "misfire" roughness during cold starts. When you start driving the car it's fine like normal. Wondering what the problem behind those codes could be? Could it be a HPFP going out? Although I don't really get long cranks? Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have you checked your coils? Also, has the HPFP been replaced already?
HPFP has been replaced a while back sometime in 2011 or so. Haven't checked coils yet. Car only has 57K miles though.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

If you buy an older model, these should all be ripped out and replaced as soon as you buy the car.
Coils, plugs, injectors, hpfp, lpfp, all lambda sensors

Get a walnut blast.

Were the injectors coded properly?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown View Post
If you buy an older model, these should all be ripped out and replaced as soon as you buy the car.
Coils, plugs, injectors, hpfp, lpfp, all lambda sensors

Get a walnut blast.

Were the injectors coded properly?
Yeah I'm assuming the injectors were coded properly, I know he coded them but maybe he made a mistake, don't think so though because when I give it full throttle the car acts like normal, no hiccups or stuff. Walnut blast was done at 55K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

I would first pull and check the plugs condition then swap to different cylinders. If they are worn replace them. If that doesn't fix it on to the coils. First swap positions and see if it follows them. Replace all of them if you find a suspect one.

It gets more pricey after that. Injector coding issues and fuel pumps. Do you have a tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland01 View Post
I would first pull and check the plugs condition then swap to different cylinders. If they are worn replace them. If that doesn't fix it on to the coils. First swap positions and see if it follows them. Replace all of them if you find a suspect one.

It gets more pricey after that. Injector coding issues and fuel pumps. Do you have a tune?
I just put it new plugs in with the injectors less than 200 miles ago. I'm not tuned. Car is stock power.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

i'd replace coils first since that is cheapest. Also, get INPA and verify the injector coding.
Appreciate 1
vncung5.50
      01-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Quote:

I just put it new plugs in with the injectors less than 200 miles ago. I'm not tuned. Car is stock power.
Just swap #4 & 6 coils with other cylinders. See if the code moves with them. Once you rule out coils, double check the injector coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just swap #4 & 6 coils with other cylinders. See if the code moves with them. Once you rule out coils, double check the injector coding.
Yeah, taking it back to the shop tomorrow, hopefully it's something simple. Or preferably HPFP since I could have it replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #11
noname00
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Hi. I am having the same issue with my car, runs rough and misfires when cold (sometimes it doesn't like at all to accelerate), but after a ~5 minutes it's smooth, after a few more minutes (~10) it's perfectly fine.
For now I only changed the spark plugs and switched the order of the ignition coils, but nothing changed. Next week I will get a walnut blast, even though I am pretty sure that won't fix my issue. The car has 80k miles.

You did not write here, but what was the fix for your car? (and please don't say "buying and M3" :P )

Edit: For me the fastest way to get rid of the roughness of the engine and the misfire is to restart it. I did not wait for it to run smoothly by itself.

Last edited by noname00; 10-30-2018 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: adding some more info
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname00 View Post
Hi. I am having the same issue with my car, runs rough and misfires when cold (sometimes it doesn't like at all to accelerate), but after a ~5 minutes it's smooth, after a few more minutes (~10) it's perfectly fine.
For now I only changed the spark plugs and switched the order of the ignition coils, but nothing changed. Next week I will get a walnut blast, even though I am pretty sure that won't fix my issue. The car has 80k miles.

You did not write here, but what was the fix for your car? (and please don't say "buying and M3" :P )

Edit: For me the fastest way to get rid of the roughness of the engine is to restart it. I did not wait for it to run smoothly by itself.
Hey, it was actually 2 faulty coil packs that was causing the issue. If you said you've already gotten new spark plugs and coil packs installed then I would be thinking about your injectors if they're not Index 12.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #13
noname00
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Hey, unfortunately it ended up being the fuel injectors. I had an 07 335i (N54) and had to upgrade to all new Index 12 fuel injectors.
Thanks for the fast response.

From the original post I understood that you had the issue with the new injectors.

I will first try to swap injector 6 with another one, just to see if the misfire moves with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
Ashish726
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname00 View Post
Quote:
Hey, unfortunately it ended up being the fuel injectors. I had an 07 335i (N54) and had to upgrade to all new Index 12 fuel injectors.
Thanks for the fast response.

From the original post I understood that you had the issue with the new injectors.

I will first try to swap injector 6 with another one, just to see if the misfire moves with it.
Sorry, ignore the injector post. I thought I was replying to a different thread, my issue was actually two coil packs. I replaced them with new ones and all was well.
Appreciate 0