E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How would you cut the eyelids to do an LED eyelid mod?

01-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

How would you cut the eyelids to do an LED eyelid mod?

I have been obsoletely obsessed with LED eyelids on the e92 and I want a set really bad, but I have no idea how I would cut the slits for the LED strip to show through... there is absolutely nobody that sells them alone and the only way to get them is to spend $1k+ on a set of custom headlights which is not what I am going to do because my headlights are perfectly fine.

I just want the damn slits in the eyelids!

I am thinking of attempting to try it myself, but I don't know how to make the cut. Do I have to use a CNC machine (I know someone who has one). Could I use a Dremel (that would be crooked)

Please help, I'm slightly desperate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Rocko123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Hmm id just use a dremel and mark your straight line carefully and tape off the rest and use incision cuts.. airsaw i think is overkill and I cant think of anything else currently... Bavgruppe sells the led strips on ebay.. just mock it up, mark around and finesse it lol

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko123 View Post
Hmm id just use a dremel and mark your straight line carefully and tape off the rest and use incision cuts.. airsaw i think is overkill and I cant think of anything else currently... Bavgruppe sells the led strips on ebay.. just mock it up, mark around and finesse it lol
You know what I just though of? I could take a router ( I think that's what they're called) and get a small router bit. Drill a hole the size of the router bit and then make the line which in return would me much straighter than by only using a Dremel. Maybe make a jig that will make the curve on the eyelid.

Gonna have to try that this weekend

Edit: Then I could take an acrylic rod that is slightly smaller than the hole, cut the rod in half and 'fill in' the hole for a cleaner and nicer look.

It's a bit annoying how Bavgruppe makes these kind of eyelids but doesn't sell them yet they sell the LED strip. Ehh business is business I guess

Last edited by Deluxx3; 01-19-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Rocko123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxx3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko123 View Post
You know what I just though of? I could take a router ( I think that's what they're called) and get a small router bit. Drill a hole the size of the router bit and then make the line which in return would me much straighter than by only using a Dremel. Maybe make a jif that will make the curve on the eyelid.

Gonna have to try that this weekend
Yeah that could work, i was thinking that too but i figured it would have to be on a flat surface not a curved thin piece of plastic, show us what you decide to do

Appreciate 0