E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cannot communicate to ECU when I plug in iDrive unit?

02-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 M3, E46 M3

Cannot communicate to ECU when I plug in iDrive unit?

Cannot communicate to ECU when I plug in iDrive unit for some reason with Ista or using MHD to pull codes won't work I keep getting "no communication with ECU" and when I completely disconnect the iDrive unit it DOES allow me to connect and read codes. Also on the back of the iDrive unit for some reason I'm missing an orange cable that connects to that orange connector? Any ideas?

Here are the codes when the iDrive unit is out. I'm having another electrical issue as well. Any input on those other codes?

Just to note, the iDrive unit works fine when I plug it back in I get sound the screen/navigation works and all.
Attached Images

Last edited by f82_spooly; 02-27-2017 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
How did you figure this out? Did you just start pulling modules out to see what was going on? Which idrive version do you have? CCC or CIC? If CIC, was it retrofitted?
iDrive was not retrofitted. It is CIC mine is a '10. Told a tech at a shop that the car was not starting because of an electrical issue ( I thought it was the CAS not aligned) but he ended up telling me there was some aftermarket module plugged in to my headhunt that allowed for driving while watching DVD's or whatever.

He said it was interfering with that and the CAS or something like that so he pulled that module out and when he reconnected the headunit it wasn't working anymore. so he left it unplugged. It came back to me I plugged it in and tried to read codes and no communication. I disconnected the iDrive and then i was able to pull codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Definitely a unique problem.

CIC with video module= no start
CIC without video module= dead CIC w/ no dme
CIC unplugged= fine

Is this right?
Yeah very unique lol. I do have JB4 if that matters.

I'm not sure what you mean. But when I plug in all the cables in the back of the CIC. No communication with ECU/cannot read codes. When I disconnect all those cables from CIC unit I can connect to ECU and read codes.

The CIC unit IS working because I do get sound and the video comes up on the screen and all. But I did read that the CIC unit has a couple of modules inside it or something and that there is a supposed to be a red fiber optic signal correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. That is the most signal.

Your JB4 is turned off when trying to connect right?
That is always supposed to be on/red right? Do you know which cable is that? I don't think I seen any red light turned on, on any of those cables that i connected to the iDrive unit. And is there supposed to be an orange cable ? Because that one is missing for some reason.

Yes the JB4 is turned off. I was planning on even taking it out completely in the next couple of days since it might be the cause of my issue? Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
elaraj80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92life View Post
Cannot communicate to ECU when I plug in iDrive unit for some reason with Ista or using MHD to pull codes won't work I keep getting "no communication with ECU" and when I completely disconnect the iDrive unit it DOES allow me to connect and read codes. Also on the back of the iDrive unit for some reason I'm missing an orange cable that connects to that orange connector? Any ideas?

Here are the codes when the iDrive unit is out. I'm having another electrical issue as well. Any input on those other codes?

Just to note, the iDrive unit works fine when I plug it back in I get sound the screen/navigation works and all.
Hi my BMW 328i 2011 E90 has same issue with iDrive now no communication I tried and replaced the iDrive unit and same things still not working I give up and took it to the dealer for diagnostic they told me there’s no communication the iDrive controller need to be replace .

The only code showing on my car for now E1E0 . My FRM was replaced by the dealer and reprogramming. Any help ?
Appreciate 0