E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Steering Lock Issue

03-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Toakenspy
Rep
Drives: 2006 320d E90

E90 Steering Lock Issue

Hi folks. I had an issue when parking up tonight. I turned off the engine and released the key fob then a yellow steering lock light came up on the dash and the steering wheel wouldn't lock. It only comes on when releasing the fob, never when putting the fob in. I've read so many posts on many forums of the steering wheel locking and causing problems when trying to unlock again. Is it possible the lock itself could be knackered on my car and thats what the yellow warning light is trying to tell me? Hence why it won't lock? The steering wheel has been quite loose when locked prior to tonight's issue. Any advice would be most appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
arlovarri
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330i & 07 Z4

It is supposedly telling you there is a problem and often the car won't start again. Twice in the past 2.5 years I got the light when I accidentally stopped and quickly restarted the engine, but the light went away upon next restart and everything is fine. I think in some cases low or funky battery voltage at startup may trigger the light. If it's actually the dreaded steering wheel lock failure your will be looking into the various repairs out there including maybe the aftermarket
bypass chip. Why don't you go try to start and drive the car right now so at least you will know what's up in case you are stranded tomorrow? see if the light returns.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
Toakenspy
Rep
Drives: 2006 320d E90

Thanks Arlovarri. The difference with mine though is that the steering DOESN'T lock at all, so it's not as though there's a chance it might not unlock. Could it be the steering lock has broken and that's what the yellow light is trying to tell me when I take the fob out? As there is no warning light when I put the fob IN. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0