E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The DMV misspelled my last name......

03-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
EEVLWYS
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

The DMV misspelled my last name......

So the DMV misspelled my last name on my registration. I returned to the DMV and they tell me I need to contact the dealership. Now the dealer tells me everything is good on their end, that the DMV made a mistake.....DMV won't budge, dealership is being an ass....wtf would you do?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEVLWYS View Post
So the DMV misspelled my last name on my registration. I returned to the DMV and they tell me I need to contact the dealership. Now the dealer tells me everything is good on their end, that the DMV made a mistake.....DMV won't budge, dealership is being an ass....wtf would you do?
Honestly? Probably nothing. I have a long, foreign, hyphenated name that's spelled different on virtually every official document I have, and have never run into an issue.

If it comes up, just explain what happened. I'm assuming the spelling error isn't too terribly egregious?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
EEVLWYS
Rep

No , just 1 letter should be a "U" but they typed "Y"....thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Same here, I'd do nothing and whoever has a problem can kiss my ass lol. If they have a problem with it they can fix it themselves, whoever 'they' may be in w/e scenario you find yourself in, IF you ever do that is...
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Try visiting a few different DMVs, different people at different DMVs will have different opinions on what should be done. Another avenue you might try it arguing with the dealership that they haven't actually transferred title into your name and the sale is void, this might motivate them more.

I actuality I can't see it mattering much, I don't think the paper work usually gets looked at hard enough to matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
as long as the title is spelled correctly,i wouldn't sweat it.
      03-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

You need a few things to fix this:
1. Time
2. Gasoline
3. Matches...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Just correct it online with the dmv.
      03-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
335udm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 2011

Quote:
Do you have documents to prove who made the mistake. Dealer, DMV? But I suggest getting it corrected.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

If you have the bill of sale, they should indicate the correct name. If title name is different then bill of sale, dealer is at fault. There should also be a title application. Which the DMV usually keeps.

In the end of the day, it won't matter much ever. No one really cares in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
EEVLWYS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335udm View Post
Do you have documents to prove who made the mistake. Dealer, DMV? But I suggest getting it corrected.
I don't know who made the mistake. It looks like the dmv, because all the contract papers I signed at the dealer are correct.....I've contacted the bank i am financed through and everything is correct there also......but the dmv won't budge on correcting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know who made the mistake. It looks like the dmv, because all the contract papers I signed at the dealer are correct.....I've contacted the bank i am financed through and everything is correct there also......but the dmv won't budge on correcting it.
I would suggest that you write a letter to President Trump to make spelling great again!
Appreciate 2
al8apex24.50
Ruddigger694.00
      03-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
How could the DMV not budge? Aren't they the ones who issue your dl, and the spelling is correct on that plus all your dealer papers, like what leg is the DMV standing on to say it's not their fault... weird
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

My dad has used Gene instead of Eugene his entire life. His WV license says Gene but his birth certificate says Eugene and the secret service required him to have a hearing when he applied for a passport. It took 3 in person meetings to straighten out.

You just never know when some paperwork anomaly can wreck your day.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
DMV is a bunch of incompetent morons.

I had a car that the plates were still in the system as the previous vehicle (which was completely different + different color) for over a year because they failed to properly transfer the plates in their system.

I'm not sure how I managed to not get pulled over during that time, if I did then it would've looked like a stolen vehicle for sure. The first registration they gave me was correct, but when the renewal came it had the old vehicle, which when I called they told me the new vehicle was not in the system. Luckily if I was pulled over the insurance had the plate associated with the vehicle.

They never seem to get the color of the vehicle correct either, which I would think is the easiest thing on there.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
Try visiting a few different DMVs, different people at different DMVs will have different opinions on what should be done. Another avenue you might try it arguing with the dealership that they haven't actually transferred title into your name and the sale is void, this might motivate them more.

I actuality I can't see it mattering much, I don't think the paper work usually gets looked at hard enough to matter.
Believe it or not, this is the best advice.

My wife was told she cannot get a new driver's license without having our marriage certificate "notarized." She had a valid NJ driver's license, and was having her name changed after our marriage, and moving into my state.

I told the woman that's pretty ridiculous, I bet you don't even know what notarized even means? It's someone who is attesting to your signature, being signed in front of them. WHY THE **** WOULD WE HAVE OUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE NOTARIZED? She told us either do it, or my wife will NEVER be able to get a new driver's license.

I said let me talk to a manager. She goes I am the manager of this entire facility.

We were f***** for sure.

Went to another DMV, she was out in about 15 minutes with her new license. Sometimes these DMV types truly a) don't know what they're doing b) don't care c) there's absolutely nothing you or I can do about it, except go to another location who doesn't have that nasty attitude
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
My dad has used Gene instead of Eugene his entire life. His WV license says Gene but his birth certificate says Eugene and the secret service required him to have a hearing when he applied for a passport. It took 3 in person meetings to straighten out.

You just never know when some paperwork anomaly can wreck your day.
I don't know why they give us such a hard time. Last time I was flying into Toronto, the gate agent in the USA asked me for my name, so I said, "Bad Hombre." Next thing you know I'm in secondary.....

Anyhow I don't know the whole story, but my sister in-law had a really hard time getting a US Passport. Something about a short form birth certificate.
Appreciate 0