F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Finance Advice
proTUNING Freaks

03-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Finance Advice

Hoping someone can offer some advice.....

Just over a year ago my daughter bought her first car - a tidy wee 2011 120i coupe. Unfortunately she's a tad headstrong, and did a deal with the devil in the form of Arnold Clark, on a 5-year HP agreement with maintenance.

Wind forward a year and she now has a baby, and in both practical and economic terms the 120 doesn't suit. She still owes £9K on the Bimmer but wants to get rid of it. I have an older Golf she can have that's been SORNed and just needs a little work to put back on the road, so she just wants to flog the Bimmer for now.

So what's the best route?

- AC have offered her a paltry 5K trade in and she can pay the balance off with them
- WBAC say it's worth £5.5K but will doubtless reduce that for every tiny blemish
- Autotrader suggest selling for £6.6k
- if she can sell sell it privately, can the balance of the maintenance contract be transferred?

Given the short time she's had the HP, can she sell privately and pay off the balance direct to the finance company (Santander), or can she only sell back to AC?

Not really sure what the score with this sort of setup, so would appreciate any advice.

PS anyone want to buy a tidy little 120i ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Is the HP agreement AND the maintenance both with Santander? Or Maintenance with AC? I assume the maintenance was a one off payment which was added to the financed total?

Always a good idea to call the finance company and ask what options you have, plus to get the settlement figure (which I hope for your daughters sake is lower than the £9k outstanding). Your daughter will have to be the one that calls for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Maintenance with AC, finance with Santander. I've suggested she goes to speak to Santander to see what her options are
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hopefully the maintenance will stay with the car in that case, assuming it's not possible to cancel it. But yes phone the finance company and ask for settlement figure and options.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:06 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Once all the numbers are in place, I'd suggest private sale. It does involve more work, but she'll be hundreds or a thousand+ better off.

As an example of a roughly similarly valued car, albeit not a comparable model...I was offered £4750 for my 2009 320d as a trade-in against my current car, which was lifted to £5000 after a lot of pushing. WBAC were somewhere in the £3xxx range - I never showed them the car, this was the online estimate. I sold it for £6850 after a couple of weeks on Gumtree/Autotrader.

Take some good pics, use Gumtree, and re-upload the ad every single day without fail.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

She can sell to whoever will buy the car for her asking price. You'll need to make any buyers aware of the outstanding finance and that you will be paying it off straight away when sold.

The buyer can pay their share to Santander direct with you topping it up on one phone call I'd imagine
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:25 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
She can sell to whoever will buy the car for her asking price. You'll need to make any buyers aware of the outstanding finance and that you will be paying it off straight away when sold.

The buyer can pay their share to Santander direct with you topping it up on one phone call I'd imagine
I agree, that's how I would do it.

When she is talking to Santander, it might be worth establishing if the loan can be paid off using cash in a branch. This possibility means that she'd be able to sell to a cash buyer (cash and V5C/keys change hands at the bank).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:21 AM   #8
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Strictly speaking you can't sell it until the finance is cleared because you don't own the car.

You also run the risk that someone makes a fraudulent payment, leaving you owing the full amount to Santander and no longer having the car or the buyer's money.

I think the better option is getting them to pay Santander direct and when Santander confirm the funds are cleared, you pay the balance and hand over the car.

Alternatively, take out a cheap loan to clear the finance and then pay it off when you've sold the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
betty02
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 316D

Sticky situation selling a car on finance. I had this a few years back when I financed a car.

In the end I ended up getting a loan to pay off my balance (the loan was also a lower APR, and my payments were cheaper, plus i knocked 6 months off the term)

Once my car wasn't showing on a HPI check i sold the car privately. I tried selling it advertised with finance and that it would be paid off, or they could call the company direct etc but it put of lots and lots of people. Once cleared I sold it within 4 weeks for above the balance and job was a good'un!

It is illegal to sell, and if the finance company see the car advertised, or if someone calls them to say it's for sale you face deep doo doo!Mate of mind stuck his on ebay and a potential seller obviously did a check, found his finance company, called them and they called him with some legal bits and then a court case letter! This was a few years back now but you never know!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Thanks to all for sound advice - pretty much reflects where my head is at as well. Get a cheap loan, pay off finance, wait for HPI checks to clear and then sell privately.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty02 View Post
Sticky situation selling a car on finance. I had this a few years back when I financed a car.

In the end I ended up getting a loan to pay off my balance (the loan was also a lower APR, and my payments were cheaper, plus i knocked 6 months off the term)

Once my car wasn't showing on a HPI check i sold the car privately. I tried selling it advertised with finance and that it would be paid off, or they could call the company direct etc but it put of lots and lots of people. Once cleared I sold it within 4 weeks for above the balance and job was a good'un!

It is illegal to sell, and if the finance company see the car advertised, or if someone calls them to say it's for sale you face deep doo doo!Mate of mind stuck his on ebay and a potential seller obviously did a check, found his finance company, called them and they called him with some legal bits and then a court case letter! This was a few years back now but you never know!
This is nonsense! Plenty folk sell cars with finance on them and do it all above board and openly. I've done it several times, with BMWFS and independent finance.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
Ice Man324.50
      03-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
betty02
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
This is nonsense! Plenty folk sell cars with finance on them and do it all above board and openly. I've done it several times, with BMWFS and independent finance.
Honestly it is illegal to sell on finance. As said mine was a few years back and haven't had finance since, but if things have changed then I stand corrected.

I also had offers thousands below my asking price because of the whole finance blurb. Once I loaned it and paid it off I got my asking price within 4 weeks.

Doing a quick google it is still showing as illegal to sell a car on finance! I'm by no means saying it doesn't happen, but personally if I went to view a car and was showing as finance on HPI I wouldn't bother!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly it is illegal to sell on finance. As said mine was a few years back and haven't had finance since, but if things have changed then I stand corrected.

I also had offers thousands below my asking price because of the whole finance blurb. Once I loaned it and paid it off I got my asking price within 4 weeks.

Doing a quick google it is still showing as illegal to sell a car on finance!
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...anding-finance

It's illegal to knowingly do so without telling the buyer, but not to do so in an "above board" manner.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
betty02
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...anding-finance

It's illegal to knowingly do so without telling the buyer, but not to do so in an "above board" manner.
Ironically just finished reading that link. That's certainly changed then! Little more leeway for the OP's daughter then!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Thanks to all for sound advice - pretty much reflects where my head is at as well. Get a cheap loan, pay off finance, wait for HPI checks to clear and then sell privately.
Taking a loan to pay off the remaining finance will also log against your daughters credit history and may affect future credit scoring even if it's paid off soon afterwards. This may lead to creditors offering less-than-preferable rates in future or being turned down altogether if there are multiple credit applications in a short space (eg finance for the next vehicle)

If you can cover the payment for her then this would be the best option.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Taking a loan to pay off the remaining finance will also log against your daughters credit history and may affect future credit scoring even if it's paid off soon afterwards. This may lead to creditors offering less-than-preferable rates in future or being turned down altogether if there are multiple credit applications in a short space (eg finance for the next vehicle)

If you can cover the payment for her then this would be the best option.
I knew she was going to be an expensive child......

Hopefully madam has learned something in all of this. Go PCP.....

I think she's seeing Santander to see what they can do - hopefully transfer the balance to a lower-rate personal loan & pay off, then sell the Bimmer privately and use the proceeds to buy something more practical.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
Ironically just finished reading that link. That's certainly changed then! Little more leeway for the OP's daughter then!
What's changed? The link is pretty clear:

..there are two things you must do before you can legally sell it:

Inform the finance company and ask them for the “settlement figure” they’ll need from you to pay off your loan in full.
Pay off the settlement figure, plus any early repayment fee and administration fee the lender might charge.

As long as you don't hand the keys over until the finance company confirm the funds have cleared you should be OK, but I agree a lot of buyers will be put off.
Appreciate 0