THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Washing my Baby

03-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Washing my Baby

(picking up from the 'hate about my car' thread)

It's the first car I've really wanted to protect so I'm looking too learn some new car care skills.

I looked at the Optimum website and it is a little underdeveloped, nice to look at but not a lot of info.

The process looks like they start with a very clean car and wipe on something like Rain X or Armour All. Is that right and is it better than car wax?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Definitely don't use Rain-X on your paint. I'd suggest looking up Ammo NYC on YouTube. He's one of the best detailers around and will offer some good beginner advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
ColParker
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 Mineral Grey 220i

Read the detailingworld forums, particularly the Gtechnic one. Or follow the Services estimate page to get a list of which products to use http://gtechniq.com/service/

My diary http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=378573

Last edited by ColParker; 03-16-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I'll tell you what I'd do.. wash then clay the car. Then use a good wax.. This is going to sound crazy, but I love old Original Simoniz paste wax. You can say what you want about Simoniz, but that's my wax of choice.
      03-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I'll tell you what I'd do.. wash then clay the car. Then use a good wax.. This is going to sound crazy, but I love old Original Simoniz paste wax. You can say what you want about Simoniz, but that's my wax of choice.
I own a detailing business and when I purchased my 228ix I hand washed it, used a nano scrub pad on my buffer which is better than clay but clay works fine, polished it with a fine German polish which removed minor swirls, holograms and popped the paint. Final coating was Blackfire Wet Diamond polymer all paint protection which creates a wet look, superior lubricity and affords better protection than wax. Check out the website I buy my products from www.detailedimage.com. Everything you need to know about taking care of your vehicle including reviews and video instructions on all of their products. The difference is outstanding if you want your vehicle to look stunning.
Appreciate 3
crabu2141.50
Tpeterson156.50
wjones14676.00
      03-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Go to YouTube and look for videos by AMMO NYC. He has a video on how to wash your car. That'll be everything you need in terms of washing.

You may want to clay your car. Get a clay towel instead of a bar. Next a quality sealer. I like PowerLock. Then a good wax. I used to like P21S, but I don't have the time to apply it since I have kiddos to watch on the weekend. Instead I use optimum spray wax which works 90% as well in 10% of the time.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Two bucket system, Chemical Guys products for me. Black cars are tough to keep looking new but the two bucket system has never let me down.

D
      03-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Two bucket system, Chemical Guys products for me. Black cars are tough to keep looking new but the two bucket system has never let me down.

D
I use three lol. One for the wheels.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Another solid wax and personal favorite is Collonite 845!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's the video I was talking about earlier.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
accendo22.00
      03-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Here's the video I was talking about earlier.

Larry is the detailing King
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
If you want to protect the paint on you car you will need to go beyond just a good wash, but that is the first and probably most important step since most of the swirl marks and light scratches you see on a car are from poor washing and drying technique. You may even have them on your brand new car. Assuming that's not the case, you'll want to use a two bucket wash method with a good microfiber wash mitt, a quality soap and a quality microfiber towel to dry.

Personally, I do a separate two bucket wash on the wheels as well. There are specialty wheel washes that can be used along with specialty washing tools like Wheel Woolies, but not completely necessary. After washing the wheels I would throw a coat of sealant on painted wheels.

The rest of your steps should go in this order:
1. Claybar
2. Bonding Agent (optional)
3. Glaze (optional)
4. Sealant
5. Wax
6. Spray Sealant / Detailer (optional)

As far as specific products, folks have offered some ideas. I having been using Chemical Guys products- here is my list. Checkout their website for how-to videos.

Product # Product Name
1 Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Suds Car Wash Soap
2 Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
3 Chemical Guys Vertua Bond 408 Bonding Agent
4 Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 Sealant & Paint Protectant
5 Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax
6 Chemical Guys InnerClean - Interior Quick Detailer & Protectant
7 Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Quick Detailer
8 Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel & Rim Cleaner
9 Chemical Guys G6 Hyper Coat High Gloss Coating Protectant Dressing
10 Chemical Guys OG Clay Bar & Luber Synthetic Lubricant Kit, Light/Medium Duty
11 Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner
12 Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner
13 Chemical Guys Rinse Free Wash & Shine

I started applying everything by hand, but eventually moved up to a dual action (DA) polisher. It makes application faster, you will get an even application and use less product. Also, you can learn about paint correction if you have swirls & scratches and use this tool for paint correction if necessary with less chance of doing harm to the paint. Another option to reduce the chance of swirling the paint is the use of a blower to dry vice a microfiber towel. Metro Vac makes a few.

I hope this helps!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is the list of products I use to offer a little bit of variety

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364518
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Lots of good information here. Here's what I did when I brought mien home:

1. Make sure the dealership doesn't do their pre-delivery wash. Request that all plastics be still on the car! Their sponge monkeys will install free swirls.

2. Wash, with 2 bucket system and grit guards, the entire car. I like using Meguiar's Gold Class car wash soap. Make sure to wash and perform the rest of the detail work in the shade!

3. Clay! I use a clay towel. It was my first time using a clay towel instead of the conventional clay bar with this car. It worked great! Worked just as well as a clay bar, but with much quicker results. No more kneading!

4. Inspect the paint under bright lights or sunlight. Does the car need polishing? New cars may or may not need. Mine did; I guess the dust and dirt kicked up from delivery caused some fine marring.

5. Polish. For me, since the marring was light, I just used a light cutting pad with Meguiar's D151 polish on a Porter Cable 7472 dual action polisher

6. Seal the paint with a sealant. I didn't have a sealant on hand so instead, I used Collinite 845. Collinite 845 is one of the hardest (durable) waxes that is available on the market today.

7. Wax. I use Natty's Paste wax. Goes on quick, wipes off easy. Bonus: you can use this wax in direct sunlight.

8. Admire your handiwork!
Appreciate 2
Y0tsuya77.00
SerenVoX147.00
      03-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Griot's Garage has everything you could possibly need to care for your car, and also has a care guide with instructions on how best to use their products. I've been using Griot's products (car wash liquid, polish, wax, sealant, clay bar, leather & interior care, microfiber towels, glass cleaner, orbital polisher and foam pads, etc.) for nearly 20 years on Porsches and BMWs. They have a website and once you register with them, they'll send you a catalog every month or two. All their products are American-made, too.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #16
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Lots of good information here. Here's what I did when I brought mien home:

1. Make sure the dealership doesn't do their pre-delivery wash. Request that all plastics be still on the car! Their sponge monkeys will install free swirls.

2. Wash, with 2 bucket system and grit guards, the entire car. I like using Meguiar's Gold Class car wash soap. Make sure to wash and perform the rest of the detail work in the shade!

3. Clay! I use a clay towel. It was my first time using a clay towel instead of the conventional clay bar with this car. It worked great! Worked just as well as a clay bar, but with much quicker results. No more kneading!

4. Inspect the paint under bright lights or sunlight. Does the car need polishing? New cars may or may not need. Mine did; I guess the dust and dirt kicked up from delivery caused some fine marring.

5. Polish. For me, since the marring was light, I just used a light cutting pad with Meguiar's D151 polish on a Porter Cable 7472 dual action polisher

6. Seal the paint with a sealant. I didn't have a sealant on hand so instead, I used Collinite 845. Collinite 845 is one of the hardest (durable) waxes that is available on the market today.

7. Wax. I use Natty's Paste wax. Goes on quick, wipes off easy. Bonus: you can use this wax in direct sunlight.

8. Admire your handiwork!
You nailed it. Send some pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #17
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

So now I'm thinking clay towel.. I can't believe there's knock offs on ebay for a few buck.. I watched a few videos too.

Can anyone tell me how good they work? Are those chinese knock offs even worth a few bucks to try?
      03-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Thanks

Wow I pushed a button there. And not the easy button. Now that good weather is coming and I'm retired I can get into a new activity, heavy on the 'active'.

Thanks for the great advice. While I'll surely stop short of the full Show Car detailing you have steered me towards some improvements over my careful one bucket and soft cloth history.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #19
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Wow I pushed a button there. And not the easy button. Now that good weather is coming and I'm retired I can get into a new activity, heavy on the 'active'.

Thanks for the great advice. While I'll surely stop short of the full Show Car detailing you have steered me towards some improvements over my careful one bucket and soft cloth history.
The detailers are passionate about keeping their toys clean.

Great news, good luck keeping her clean!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelarson View Post
The detailers are passionate about keeping their toys clean.

Great news, good luck keeping her clean!
Yes we are a passionate group. And since I retired I operate a home based detailing business. Detailed over 100 vehicles last year which allowed me to get my baby.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #21
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

1) Don't let the dealer wash the car. My wife's eyes lit up when they said "free". Luckily they didn't screw up the paint on my M235i. I flat out refused the wash on our 340i.

2) Get it coated asap, and/or install a clear wrap like Xpel. Some folks drive straight from the dealership to the detailer for the coating/wrap. I got ours coated only and didn't get the Xpel. Now one year in the bumper is covered in rock chips. Sort of regretting not getting at least the bumper wrapped. But the rest of the car should remain shiny and easy-to-wash for years.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #22
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Lots of really good advice on here. An older gentlemen that had sold me my M235i had told me he won several car shows in his days and swear by stuff called 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. I havnt tried it yet but I will when I get into more detailing.
Appreciate 0