E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mixing Fuel Injectors? (Index 2, 9, 12)

03-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mixing Fuel Injectors? (Index 2, 9, 12)

Community of N54 aficionados,

I have a P0306 code and it's not the coil or spark plug (I've swapped twice with two new replacements to make sure)..so my guess is that it's the injector.

I know there are different series injectors from reading here, I was just about to buy a single injector and install kit from eBay so I'm glad I didn't. Is there a way for me to check what series I have? I purchased a K/DCAN cable from Amazon and I ran across some INPA/Logging/etc. tools but I'm not sure if they'll tell me what I need to know.

The car is a '07 335i.

If I was keeping the car, I'd replace all 6 with series 12/whatever is new but I don't plan on keeping it and I'm on a budget.

Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT 3/17/17: I just ripped the cover off the engine and realized I have Index 2 and Index 9 injectors. I inquired purchasing a replacement Index 12 injector and the dealer said that you're not to mix anything with Index 10 or below with Index 11 or 12. I've also read a few places that it doesn't matter. The BMW dealer will not give me an answer. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ndq; 03-17-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Replacing just one should be fine. Plenty of peeps have swapped in multiple different types of indexes and all run with no issue even when they are all a different series.

To check what series you have though, just take the engine cover off and look at the first row of numbers; the last number after the dash is the index.

I have (3) Index 2 and (1) Index 9 injectors that I've been meaning to put up in the For Sale section but haven't gotten a chance to yet. If you're interested in any, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
ndq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Replacing just one should be fine. Plenty of peeps have swapped in multiple different types of indexes and all run with no issue even when they are all a different series.

To check what series you have though, just take the engine cover off and look at the last number after the dash; that's the index.

I have (3) Index 2 and (1) Index 9 injectors that I've been meaning to put up in the For Sale section but haven't gotten a chance to yet. If you're interested in any, let me know.
Good to know, PM me with the cost of them/details.
Appreciate 0