E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > my MHD OTS E40 flash on stock 09 335i AT

03-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
drunkentrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe.

my MHD OTS E40 flash on stock 09 335i AT

Car is bone stock aside from a chargepipe and alpina transmission tune.

New plugs and walnut blast, and replaced all 6 fuel injectors with rebuild index 8's.

Car pulls strong, but not as zippy regarding throttle reponse relation to spool in the early RPMS --- the stage 1 tune i ran on 91 octane matched well with the aplina running in D(with its low rpm shifts, even at low loads) but not with the my E25 or E40 tunes. Might drop back down to E25 Tune as the LPFP seems to be dippling a little low.

Aside from the obvious things like IAT, Boost vs Boost Target, and fuel pressure thresholds,and timing corrections, I really havent been able to understand all the other data sets and how they correlate with eachother --- and most import, what the hell they mean while trying to determine if the Tune and Car are running healthy.

ONe thing I am considering is the accuracy of the E85 pump.. for the first time i noticed the sticker that said "ethanol content can range from 51% to 83%".. so clearly this could cause all sorts of issues, including timing corrections and even the ability to make boost quicker and cleaner at lower loads I would assume?

Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated!

3rd gear WOT Log:

http://datazap.me/u/drunkentrader/e4...=0&data=3-5-23

EDIT: because of the ethanol content concerns, and my lack of actually testing it, I flashed the E25 ots MHD tune and just ran a log:

http://datazap.me/u/drunkentrader/e2...3-5-23&solo=30

lost the timing corrections from the previous tune in the midrange, but the engine didnt like WOT from 2k rpms in 3rd gear...

THoughts on the new tune and log results? Car pretty much hits the same boost, and definitely runs a bit smoother I think..

Last edited by drunkentrader; 04-01-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

deff replace vacuum lines as well
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
drunkentrader
Private First Class
Rep

^yeah, i read that the wastegate solenoids can cause boost control issues along with leaky vacuum lines.. was gonna be my next maintenance item as its only about $220 in parts and a couple hours of light labor... i could always buy a mitivac for $30 and spend 45 mins racking my brain on how to test things properly... but figured its worth the few extra bucks and peace of mind -- even if it doesnt fix the problem it wont exactly be a waste of money..

also curious if running the E25 tune(for the sake of my LPFP) and running a little "for good measure" E85 is a good idea... I guess it couldnt hurt could it? Ive run 100 race gas on the 95 octane tune, so im thinking if i fill up with E25 and ad an extra gallon and a half of e85 i could rule out any octane deficiencies... i assume running e30ish mix on an e25 tune is much better than running an e3X mix on my current E40 tune in terms of causing any strain on the engine..

maybe ill flash the E25 mhd tune tomorrow and do another log
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
jjbmuu
4ut0strd4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 335i 6 Speed

Shouldn't you have a few more supporting mods for those maps? Either way it all depends on the quality of the e85 really. You should be able to run the e60 map with e50 for example. If you're on the stock fuel system even if it's healthy without a problem since ots maps tend to be on the safe side since they are generic overall. Thankfully I've got one station with the good stuff near me, so that should work since the stock fuel system doesn't like anything really above that maybe e60 if you're lucky from what I've read. Just log and you'll know if it's safe. I'm just turbos and an upgraded lpfp from much more power though which is really tempting, but I'm happy with the car where it's at now and it's fairly reliable.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentrader View Post
ONe thing I am considering is the accuracy of the E85 pump.. for the first time i noticed the sticker that said "ethanol content can range from 51% to 83%".. so clearly this could cause all sorts of issues, including timing corrections and even the ability to make boost quicker and cleaner at lower loads I would assume?
Which is exactly why you need to test it before blindly dumping it into your fuel tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
drunkentrader
Private First Class
Rep

I flashed down to the E25 MHD ots tune and the car seems to run a bit smoother and just about as quick(i dont really hoon'around town at full boost and high rpms to really notice too much performance difference anyways)

I posted the log in my initial post. Any thoughts? Got rid of the ~5k rpm timing corrections, but they reappeared at 2k... also the accel/throttle/load(whatever) was pulled back to 80% the entire run..

Will be replacing the vacuum lines, and probably the wastegate solenoids in the next week or so to if that is part of the puzzle..
Appreciate 0