E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > do I have a leak in my turbo vacuum lines?

05-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
Gtech
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i

do I have a leak in my turbo vacuum lines?

Hi, im pretty new here. I recently bought a 2007 E90 335i

Im pretty happy with it, only a few 'little' things have to be solved like the famous wastegate rattle (already bought a repair kit from ebay) also when going full throttle it feels like little misfires on low RPM but really minimal and a oil leak..i think it's the oil pan or the rear crank seal.

Car has Mosselman stage 2 (chip and intercooler) and a BMW performance exhaust. For the rest the engine is stock.

Alright my question, with my old 2JZ-GTE the twin turbo actuators are controlled with boost pressure. Also when the engine is turned of you still have a buffer of boost pressure in the boost tank.

Now i noticed the N54 is using vacuum to control the wastegates. Now I was checking some things on the engine but i noticed that when i pull a vacuum line from the vacuum tanks when the engine isn't running I didn't hear any air escaping. Can anyone confirm this is normal? I don't have fault codes but I'm just wondering.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

If the engine has been off for a bit, it's normal. If you have the car running, turn if off, and immediately go pull a line attached to the vacuum pump you'll hear the hiss of air entering the system. If you're reaching target boost you're probably fine, or the leaks are slow.

Chris
Appreciate 0