THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Rev matching

06-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Rev matching

I can't find the comment, but someone had stated how easy it is to rev match the M235 - which was essentially "just put the throttle to the floor."

I've been driving manual for 10 years and this never occurred to me. I commute daily in traffic (lots of shifting) and find shifting entertaining (more shifting, albeit unnecessary) and am now fairly proficient at rev matching.

But since reading this comment a few days ago I've been experimenting with always rapidly taking the throttle to the floor and I am SIGNIFICANTLY more consistent with my down shifts. I suspect this is due to the fact I'm now only controlling one variable - how long the throttle is on the floor. Previously I didn't always go to the floor, which means I'm giving it X % of throttle for Y amount of time. Now by always rapidly going to the floor I always give it 100 % throttle and only have to account for Y amount time. This works on really small blips of the throttle if done quickly enough, and obviously on bigger 2500rpm jumps as well.

Is this a common technique? Is it something unique to the M235i? Is there a reason I shouldn't be doing this? What have I been missing?? :
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm not exactly following your text, but if your downshifting through the gears, just try to blip the gas 1000-1500 rpm. The quicker you do the heel and toe the easier it its to engage into the lower gear with that extra 1000-1500 rpm still there as you let up on the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

That's what I do for any type of rev match as well. Do you not rev match above 2,500 RPM?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1002 View Post
I can't find the comment, but someone had stated how easy it is to rev match the M235 - which was essentially "just put the throttle to the floor."

I've been driving manual for 10 years and this never occurred to me. I commute daily in traffic (lots of shifting) and find shifting entertaining (more shifting, albeit unnecessary) and am now fairly proficient at rev matching.

But since reading this comment a few days ago I've been experimenting with always rapidly taking the throttle to the floor and I am SIGNIFICANTLY more consistent with my down shifts. I suspect this is due to the fact I'm now only controlling one variable - how long the throttle is on the floor. Previously I didn't always go to the floor, which means I'm giving it X % of throttle for Y amount of time. Now by always rapidly going to the floor I always give it 100 % throttle and only have to account for Y amount time. This works on really small blips of the throttle if done quickly enough, and obviously on bigger 2500rpm jumps as well.

Is this a common technique? Is it something unique to the M235i? Is there a reason I shouldn't be doing this? What have I been missing?? :

you only need about 1500-2000 rpm over your current rpm, try bliping the throttle after you select the gear as you are about to release the clutch. When and how long you blip the throttle is all dependant on the clutch release. Remember its a blip, not a stab to the floor.

Heel toe is a version of throttle blipping, when your braking and shifting simultaneously coming into a turn, this has limited application on the street, it is more for a track. The few times I do this maybe on a highway exit, or if someone slows abruptly in front of me and I need to change lanes, ext. I use my left foot to brake, so the only time I brake with my right foot is if I am heel toe shifting. BMW pedals are spaced really far apart, compared to other manual cars, they make you reach for the heel toe, or maybe I have small feet.

Last edited by Pparana; 06-01-2017 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
JL1002133.50
      06-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
you only need about 1500-2000 rpm over your current rpm, try bliping the throttle after you select the gear as you are about to release the clutch. When and how long you blip the throttle is all dependant on the clutch release. Remember its a blip, not a stab to the floor.

Heel toe is a version of throttle blipping, when your braking and shifting simultaneously coming into a turn, this has limited application on the street, it is more for a track. The few times I do this maybe on a highway exit, or if someone slows abruptly in front of me and I need to change lanes, ext. I use my left foot to brake, so the only time I brake with my right foot is if I am heel toe shifting. BMW pedals are spaced really far apart, compared to other manual cars, they make you reach for the heel toe, or maybe I have small feet.
I've found coming from the VAG world that our pedal spacing is great, not Porsche perfect, but much better than the ladder for sure.

I use the side of my right foot to blip/rev match in most cases. A proper pedal arrangement would have more of a "heel" in the gas pedal to allow for heel/toe. That term is used pretty broadly now a days, and most tuner cars you can only really blip with the side of your foot as most of the the pedal configs these days don't allow for a comfortable rotation on the ball of your right foot to the brake pedal, as it should be.

I got used to left foot braking from sim racing, but never considered it in a MT car. I had the "left foot braking" feature unlocked with a tune, on my track prepped DSG GTI and it was awesome to experience on the track, though. Will have to practice in the MT car, now..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I may have been the one that noted that quickly stabbing the throttle to the floor and it releasing instantly results often perfect rev match downshifts when more aggressive rev matching is needed like during spirited and race type driving. To me it feels like some sort of programming is going on because this is the first manual I've owned in 28 years of driving that operates this way. I love it.
Appreciate 2
JL1002133.50
MLJR235116.50
      06-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm not exactly following your text, but if your downshifting through the gears, just try to blip the gas 1000-1500 rpm. The quicker you do the heel and toe the easier it its to engage into the lower gear with that extra 1000-1500 rpm still there as you let up on the clutch.
Thank you. I get this and am not referring to heel and toe. That's an issue I have with this approach as it doesn't really work. I can't be quick getting it to the floor when having to apply brake pressure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelarson View Post
That's what I do for any type of rev match as well. Do you not rev match above 2,500 RPM?
I'm jealous you already had this figured out! I'll downshift to get whatever gear I want for the given situation. If I'm in 6th doing 45mph and want 2nd gear, I'll punch it the floor for with a long (relatively speaking) pause to wind up to roughly 4500rpm and let the clutch out. Higher revs downshifts into 2nd used to make me nervous, but I've become quite good at it. I usually get it very close and far more often then not I don't feel the synchros working and it just sucks it right into gear and then clutch out.... ohh what a feeling!

Quote:

Thank you for the response, but I get this. I know how to rev match and that's my point - I always blipped the throttle, but stabbing to the floor seems to work a lot better/I'm more consistent in nailing the proper engine speed (at least in this car). That's the entire point of this post.

But like I said above, it's not really an option with heel and toe - then it's black to blip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I got used to left foot braking from sim racing..
Quote:
I use my left foot to brake
Left foot braking would be a disaster for me. No control. Left foot just wants to go to the floor. I still stink at heel and toe as well. You guys are definitely more skilled than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I may have been the one that noted that quickly stabbing the throttle to the floor and it releasing instantly results often perfect rev match downshifts when more aggressive rev matching is needed like during spirited and race type driving. To me it feels like some sort of programming is going on because this is the first manual I've owned in 28 years of driving that operates this way. I love it.
That was the other part of my question, is it unique to the M235? Only car I've tried it on. And from the sounds of it this doesn't sound like a common Technique. Thank you though, I'm glad you threw it out there because it seems to be working really well for me! (even on smaller, less aggressive shifts)
Appreciate 0