BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions My Review: 540i M Sport & M550i XDrive

07-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Thumbs up My Review: 540i M Sport & M550i XDrive

Hi all,

I am a member of our local BMW Club chapter. Occasionally we get cars from BMW Mexico and/or dealers to test. A week ago I got a 540i for a full week. And that same week I got to drive an M550i at our 10th anniversary club event back to back with my own E60 M5.

I wrote this review for our club site:

A few days ago in the club we had the opportunity to test the new BMW 5 Series in its two most attractive variants. With the support of BMW Mexico we had access for a full week to a brand new BMW 540i M Sport with enough additional equipment. And also, but with the support of Imágen Motors (BMW distributor of the South of the CDMX), we had access in track conditions to an incredible BMW M550i XDrive.

(this is a Google Translate translation from Spanish with a few touch ups by me so it's not perfect - but I think it's understandable enough....)

The Series 5 "G30"

The 5 series has changed completely with the launch of this model. It represents the seventh generation - the first one went on sale in 1972 - of this very successful model for BMW. It is the executive mid-sized sedan par excellence that normally defines the segment along with the Mercedes Benz E-Class which is its most direct competition. Throughout the generations the series 5 has been growing (like almost all cars) to the degree that this is already the size of a 7 series of a couple of decades ago. A fortunate fact for this generation is that, although it grows a little in dimensions, its weight decreases between 50 and 100kg depending on the version, which contributes to a better handling.

The 5 series has always sought to fulfill a dual function. On the one hand, that of an executive sedan of luxury with great presence that treats very well the driver and his passengers in any situation. On the other, it should amply amuse the driver when the opportunity presents itself with balanced and sporty handling. Does this generation fulfill that mission? Does "play" progress significantly?

The Luxury Sedan

Let's first review this new series 5 from the point of view of its first role. In my opinion, the answer is simple: it is the best 5 series in history. The quality of the ride equals or even surpasses Mercedes-Benz. This has never been true of a BMW before. The test car we had came with the adaptive suspension (variable dampers) that is optional and with 19-inch wheels with run flat tires. I would always order the adaptive dampers. They are not very expensive and allow the car to vary its personality according to the circumstances. Even with these optional wheels (the standard ones here are the 18") the car has a frankly impeccable ride, even in the sport mode. It is never harsh or transmits undesirable vibrations to the cabin. A delight for the poor state in which are many streets of Mexico City. Beyond the ride, the silence is almost total. Quasi-electric I would say. With the windows raised you are totally isolated from noise and other annoyances. Aerodynamics have also improved markedly, which makes the high-speed motorway driving attain that sense of serenity so desired in this category.

The auto box - an 8-speed ZF - is impeccable in the changes. Imperceptible. Again, even in Sport mode the smoothness is total. Both engines we tested offer more than enough power for any situation. The 540i (340hp) is already a fast car - faster than an E39 M5 from just about 15 years ago. Actually in my opinion no more power is needed under any real driving circumstance. The M550i is simply beastly. It's almost 460hp throw it towards the horizon as if it were in free fall. We observed between both cars that the V8 consumes at least 3 liters more for every 100 kilometers traveled. I would be satisfied with the 540i frankly.

The 540i we tested brought standard sports seats, while the M550i comes with comfort seats. Both are comfortable enough for any type of trip, with a slight advantage for the latter. A notable absence is that the sports seats do not include lumbar support, it is an additional option. It seems to me that on this level of car lumbar support should be standard.

Another interesting detail is that the 540i came with the dash lined in sensatec (synthetic leather) while the M550i did not have that option. Seeing both, it is not worth spending any money on that option. I have found that the sensatec does not give the quality vibe of real leather and the plastic finish of the dash without that option is of a high quality, more than enough in a luxury car like this.

Both cars came standard with the "intermediate" Harman-Kardon sound system. I thought it was very good quality. We have not had a chance to listen to the other two systems available: the basic one, which is the one that the 530i brings; And the Bowers & Wilkins that can be ordered as an option.

An important part of the luxury function of the 5 series is the incorporation in each generation of the latest technology. Both cars came equipped with the multifunctional dashboard (optional on the 540i and standard on the M550i). This is a fully digital dashboard that changes depending on the mode in which the car is driven. Its quality is very high. Even so, I'm not sure that this is an indispensable option since the normal BMW dashboard is very good too.

The iDrive continues to improve and has evolved to be the most intuitive and easy-to-operate system on the market today, perhaps only behind that available at Tesla. It can now be manipulated by direct touch on the screen as well as through the traditional rotary control and voice controls (which already worked very well). Our test 540i was also equipped with the hands-on gesture control function that debuted earlier in the series 7. This option, although definitely not at all indispensable, is very fun and attracts attention. We can raise and lower the volume, besides accepting or rejecting calls with hand movements without touching anything. In our experience it worked quite well.

The 540i we had also came equipped with complete assists to driving - what BMW calls "Driver Assistant Plus". In my opinion this is an indispensable option when one considers the advantages of security and comfort that it represents. On the one hand, it can save us from common accidents by reacting if we distract ourselves with something. Every driver, no matter how good, can be distracted. The computer never does. Also, for the super common driving in intense traffic that occurs in "fast" motorways in Mexico, the advantage in comfort is very high. The car almost drives itself under those conditions reducing fatigue and stress. We took a small video on the ring road of Mexico City (in Spanish).

Another technological element that our 540i had were the options for assisted parking. Standard includes front and rear sensors and reverse camera. But in our car came also the cameras of vision from above as well as the assistant of remote parking. The latter allows us to park the car from outside the car to be able to put it in a small space where it would be difficult to open the doors to get in and out. I think it can be useful if, for example, you live in an apartment and your parking space is tight. The only bad thing is that it does not prevent a neighbor from slamming his door into your car. We also took a short video of how it works - in Spanish.

The Sports Sedan

What about the other aspect we expect from a 5 series? The objective performance of both versions is faultless. The 540i we drove on the street and freeway while the M550i we drove in the context of the tenth anniversary of the club, on an autocross. No doubt the performance and the objective performance of both are worthy of a sports car. As we said before, even the 540i is much more than enough. The handling performance of both is also very high.

There is, however, some effect of the very high refinement achieved in this generation that could make some miss the less filtered sensations 5 series past. I personally do not miss them but I understand that there will be someone who does. The key question is if they are fun to drive. To me they are. With sport or sport plus modes selected these are cars that can be enjoyed widely on a mountain road or even briefly on track.

I had an opportunity to drive the M550i immediately on track in comparison to my M5 E60 (a V10 2008). Objectively, in acceleration and at more than 2,600 meters above sea level, the new M550i is much faster than my M5. However, it does feel heavier and less agile than the old V10. It is also a fact that the V10 transmits more sporty sensations being no small thing the sound of its engine. Not that the new V8 sounds bad, but hey, that V10 is legendary. The violence of the M5's outdated SMG box changes also "feel" much more sporting than the M550i's new, super-smooth automatic transmission. In the end I thought that the times on track would be similar. The old M5 recovering in the curves what it yields in the straights. However, that could change if the M550i came equipped with sportier tires. The one we tried brought good tires but far from the high performance tires I run in the M5 (Michelin PSSs). On the other hand, at sea level the old V10 would breathe much better. Also I can not fail to mention that the comparison is not quite fair since the M550i is not the most sportive representative of this generation. That place will correspond to the new M5 that will arrive in the coming months.

Conclusion

This new 5 series is the best in history. It perfectly serves the needs of the segment to which it is directed. It is more comfortable, luxurious and fast than ever. Perhaps there will be those who paradoxically miss a little less refinement. It's not my case. In addition, its price here is quite competitive with its alternatives. We have not yet driven the 530i but seeing the tremendous performance of the two versions that we drove, it is highly likely that that version would be sufficient for most drivers.

How would you configure it?

The ideal version of the range seems to me to be the 540i. It has ample power and the absolute smoothness of the historic six inline engines that have made BMW famous for decades.

Indispensable Options

Driver Assistant Plus
Lumbar Support
Variable Damper Control

Desirable Options

4 Wheel Active Steering
Multifunctional Dash
Comfort seats
Remote Parking
Solar Blinds
Adaptive LED Lights
19 Inch Wheels

Options to Avoid

Sensatec Lined Dash

Original in Spanish: http://bmwclub.org.mx/blogs/noticias...m550i-g30.aspx

Last edited by BMW M Power Mexico; 07-02-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts and reviews with forum members, I appreciate that.
      07-03-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
BobRBob
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix, Dark Graphite

Thanks for posting. Very informative and well written. I have had my 540ix for a week now and agree completely that it is the best 5 Series yet. It is my fourth one, starting with an E39 530i back in 2001. This new car is very fast and is so smooth and quiet it's almost like driving a Tesla S. The handling is a significant improvement over the F10. I was not expecting the car to be this good and am very happy with it. As you said, the 540i is probably sufficient for most people but I'm sure the M550ix is a blast to drive.
2011 528i Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Thanks for posting. Very informative and well written. I have had my 540ix for a week now and agree completely that it is the best 5 Series yet. It is my fourth one, starting with an E39 530i back in 2001. This new car is very fast and is so smooth and quiet it's almost like driving a Tesla S. The handling is a significant improvement over the F10. I was not expecting the car to be this good and am very happy with it. As you said, the 540i is probably sufficient for most people but I'm sure the M550ix is a blast to drive.
Congratulations! I'd love to get one but will have to wait a while. The 540i is so good I'd be curious about the 530i even. That may be enough even.
Appreciate 0