THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i One Year Review

07-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

M235i One Year Review

It has been one year (and two days) since I picked up my M235i in Munich. I now have 10,000 miles on it and I am thoroughly enjoying the car. The car has been very reliable, and that is saying something from someone who has owned many Toyotas. The car has not been perfect, but I challenge anyone to find a car that is. Here is my review of the vehicle at this point.

History

I purchased this vehicle through a European Delivery program with BMW. After driving around Europe for two weeks, the car was shipped home and I picked it up in late August. Since then it has been my daily driver.

I had considered several vehicles before making my purchase including a 428i, Ford Mustang (2016, both the EcoBoost and V8), a used Porsche Cayman S, a Scion FR-S (2016), and a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel (2016). The 428i was too big and expensive the way I wanted it. The Mustang was nice, but also very big. The Porsche Cayman was seriously considered, but I was put off by the high cost of maintenance compared to the BMW. The Scion FR-S is a fun car, but I wanted something nicer. The Ram was to be a replacement for my current tow vehicle ('08 Sequoia) and double as a daily driver (25mpg combined for a full sized truck and tows 8500 lbs.). Unfortunately Dodge was having serious engine issues with the EcoDiesel when I started my search.

After reading all the reviews on the 2-series, I drove a 228i coupe and a M235i convertible at the local dealership. Both were automatics. Ultimately I decided on the M235i, but had to have a manual transmission (I know the A/T in these cars are great, but I want my M/T). The 228i would make a fantastic daily driver, but I loved how the noise from the inline six and the power. The M2 was just announced and I knew there would not be any price negotiations.

Here is the link to my European Delivery Journal

Driving Impressions

Let me start by saying this is a fun car. It is powerful, handles great, and has a premium feel to it. It is very comfortable cruising along as a daily driver as it is when you want to play. Considering the capabilities of the car, it is probably overkill for a daily driver, but I don't care.

On most surfaces, the car's suspension does move around a lot, even in comfort mode. Considering the PSS (non-run flat) tires, and the short wheelbase, I can understand why. I am used to driving small wheelbase, stiff suspension vehicles.

The steering feel on BMWs have been getting a lot of criticism. While I agree the steering feel on the older hydraulic systems give more feedback, this car's steering is accurate. Sport mode will tighten up the steering over Comfort. I have not lost confidence in the steering with spirited driving.

Speaking of the modes, there are noticeable differences between them. EcoPro (or as I like to call it, Prius Mode) is not fun. The throttle turns in syrup, and the recommendations on the display has you upshift immediately (raise your hand if you remember shift lights from the early 80s). The only use I have found for EcoPro is when you ignore the fact that you have 10 miles to empty and need to gain some MPGs. Comfort mode is what I use the most. For most situations it is fine, but don't try to jump on the throttle and expect an instant response. The car will be caught sleeping until the throttle picks up. There is a fix for this. It is called Sport mode. The steering tightens up, the throttle is nearly instant, and there is more "engine noise" that comes through the speakers. I do not mind the artificial noise that comes through the speakers. Considering how quiet the car is, it helps to have a little audible feedback. I have not tried Sport + yet. I am saving that for the track.

I have driven the car in numerous settings. In Europe, we drove through Alpine mountain roads, gone over 130mph on the Autobahn (didn't have the guts to get it 155), and been on the the Nurburgring. Back home, I have sat in traffic on I-64, commuted 25 minutes (without traffic) to work through highway and city streets, gone grocery shopping, and chauffeured my daughter and her friends around (can't wait for her to get her permit). I have let my son drive it a few times (I felt bad he couldn't drive it in Europe). The most fun I have had with the car since we have been home is driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Here is the link for that trip.

As daily driver it works great. There's not a lot of back seat room but it is useable. Then again, I don't sit back there so I don't care . I leave the auto start/stop feature on except in stop and go traffic. We have had two hybrid vehicles so I am used to the engine cutting off a stoplights.

Reliability

I have not experienced any major issues with the car. The problems I have had are:
  1. The navigation system lost its validation code when I was in Europe. I believe it was due to a fault with the USB drive that contained the European maps because it has not done it since the car has been home. However, the navigation system has failed to get past the "Loading Navigation" screen a couple of times. It hasn't happened in a while so I am just going to monitor it.
  2. There is a clicking noise from the left front wheel when making hard right turns. I checked the tire for a nail but did not find any. There is a BMW technical service bulletin on this problem. I will bring it up with my dealer when I bring it in for service.
  3. The rear speakers are raspy when you turn the volume up. I don't listen to the radio often, but I would like the dealer to address it. I have the base audio system (not HK).
  4. The "Engine Oil Level" warning message came up at 7,000 miles. I am not used to having a car go so long between oil changes (12,000 miles) so I am not used to having to top up in between. Most of my cars have 5 - 10K intervals. The other issue is finding BMW approved oil or equivalent at the local parts store. I was lucky the Advance Auto I stopped at had a suitable substitute.
  5. I have received a nasty ding and scratch on the left rear quarter panel. Obviously not the car's fault, but I want to try to repair it without respraying the entire panel. A paintless dent repair place can take out the dent and the scratch can be improved.

Fuel Mileage

Currently I am getting 23.8 mpg. I drive the car primarily in Comfort mode, but I do like to have fun with the car from time to time (tough to do on my daily commute). I get just over 300 miles of range, if I take it easy. I wish the fuel tank was just a little larger than 13 gallons. I have only used EcoPro (Prius Mode) when the fuel warning says I have 15 miles of range left. At that point I drive like a hypermiler and eke out a few more tenths of mile to get to the gas station.

Modifications
  1. OEM Black kidney grills
  2. OEM all-season floor mats (black only, not the black/red ones)
  3. Removable front license plate bracket (Sto-n-Sho)
  4. Coded in Enhanced Bluetooth, digital speedometer, and changed the startup screen

1. Manual transmission, inline 6, rear wheel drive, 320 hp, BMW. This is why I bought the car.
  2. Reminds me of my old E36 race car

3. Fun to drive
  4. I-Drive (still learning, but is starting to become intuitive)
  5. It doesn't look like every other BMW (we have a lot of 3-series sedans around here)

Dislikes
  1. Small gas tank
  2. Limited support for Android phones
  3. Voice entry for navigation produces comical results
  4. Shifter is still a little notchy at times
  5. Can't fit this car and my son's Spec Miata in the trailer at the same time.

Future Plans

I really do need to get back out on the track. I won't be doing any wheel to wheel racing for a while, but this car needs to be on a track to unlock its potential. It has been on the Nurburgring, but I want to try it out on tracks I know well (VIR, Summit Point, CMP). If I do enough days, I will get a different set of wheels and tires and a different set of pads and rotors.

I am also looking to get a second set of wheels and all-season tires for the winter. We get very little snow here, but the temperature does drop below 40 in the winter, which is not good for the PSS tires.

As long as this car's reliability stays the same, I plan on keeping this car for a while. I typically hold on to my vehicles for several years. I though about trading it in for a M2 but I didn't see the point, especially for a daily driver.

I hope this gives you some insight to ownership of this vehicle. I am enjoying the car and I look forward to next 10,000 miles. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by RacerDad; 07-08-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 10
123Britt290.00
Tpeterson156.50
B_Rice219.00
TMatt34.50
harma24404.00
mumps22.50
JustChris17607.00
      07-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Nice write-up.
Thanks for taking the time to do what the rest of us are too lazy to do..
      07-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I have another post coming when I bring my vehicle in for service. That should be at the end of the month.
      07-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Good luck on your clicking sound from the left front wheel. As you saw in my thread, this is a tricky one to solve. I recommend keeping on your dealer, like I have, so that BMW USA comes up with a final solution to this. I'm currently monitoring mine after replacement of the front rotors and pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Nice, detailed review. I share many of the same opinions and findings regarding the M235 6MT. Mine is over 1.5 years old and has around 15K miles. The only issue I've had was a CEL that came on in November the very week winter gas was introduced to the Kansas City market. The dealer knew of the issue as they had 10 2016 BMWs come in the same week for the same issue. Per my Torque App, the issue was a lean condition. BMW already had a revised tune and they flashed my car and I was on my way the same very day I had called it in. I also had the subwoofers stop working on start up about a month ago which is a common problem. A simple restart and the issue was addressed.

As for driving modes, I find DSC Off to be the best driving mode, assuming it's dry out and/or the temps above 60. It's the only mode that the eLSD is active and there are no nannies to hamper the fun. The car feels less restrained, more aggressive, and the power delivery is far more consistent. I also find Traction Off (one quick push of the DSC button) to be quite good. You get the soft suspension and steering, but the burbles remain on and some tire spin is allowed.

My biggest gripe in this car is how hard it is to modulate a clean and smooth start in 1st gear. I've been driving manuals for decades and this clutch frustrates the hell out of me sometimes. The take up point seems to move from day to day, the clutch is too light and has no resistance through the range, and ECU doesn't want you to give the car much gas when starting out. I can actually feel the ECU manipulating the throttle as if it were trying to help me. You really have careful with the foot work to get a smooth start. The issue seems to be more apparent in hot weather when the motor is heat soaked. On harder launches and aggressive driving, it all comes together quite well though.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17607.00
      07-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Well said RacerDad. I'm only 7 mo and 8K miles into my m235i and couldn't be more pleased. While I had already dismissed the Mustang, Camaro and 4 Series as being to large, my short list for a replacement for my MINI Cooper S included a used (CPO) 981 (Boxster rather than Cayman) along with the Audi TT Roadster. I thought the Audi was overpriced and a TTS Covertible is no longer available in the US. While I loved the cool tech, I also worried it would be a future source of headaches and expensive repairs since we generally keep vehicles for a least 3-4 years outside of warranty. I have lusted for a Boxster for as long as I can remember and really liked the thought of having a 2016 to go with my 66 912 (Porsches separated by 50 years). Like you though, the thought of paying for Porsche parts and service outside of the CPO warranty gave me cold chills. I could see the repercussions of coming home with my wife asking how much it cost to fix this or that seemingly minor issue and me replying "just $3000" (not that BMW service is cheap).

Most of my time in my m235i has been daily commuting so far. I have taken it on a few extended trips and it eats up interstate miles and spits them out with abandon. While I am sure a 4 or 6 Series convertible would be an even better grand tourer, I find the m235i very comfortable on long freeway stretches, especially as compared to my MINI. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to venture off the freeway for the first time for a couple stretches on some narrow country roads with the top down, running in and out of shadows, downhill into decreasing radius turns and uphill through blind bends and boy did the m235i love that. In Sport mode the 6 MT is great for this type of driving, keeping the revs in the 3-4K range, but honestly, there is enough low end torque and HP, the need to change gears frequently really isn't there. When the opportunity presented itself, I found myself hustling along at 15-20 mph than the posted limits and still feeling like I could comfortably go even faster. Even in stock form, the m235i has much more to give than I'll ever need or exploit.

As far as issues, I am pleased to say I haven't had any yet. I do have a driver's side door latch piece on the lock post that is rusting which I will point out when I take the car in for it's next service. I am also noticing wear of the Dakota Leather on the drivers seat side bolster which isn't surprising, but a bit disconcerting after so few miles. I am being more careful getting in and out putting my hand in that area when I can to prevent additional wear.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased so far with my choice.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Great review, thanks for taking the time. Hope they take care of the clicking sound under warranty quickly.

So which oil did you buy that was considered as equivalent?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
mumps
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 MRM M235i X Drive

Thanks for the post!
I read your ED post when it first appeared, and I was car shopping at the time. I was originally looking at 335s, but your post along with the numerous positive reviews of the 2 series led me to the M235i.
I am absolutely in love with this car; it is my daily driver and I am fortunate to live 20 minutes away from a couple excellent curvy routes that exploit the capabilities of this machine... though I haven't tracked it yet.

Chris

Last edited by mumps; 07-11-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Great review, thanks for taking the time. Hope they take care of the clicking sound under warranty quickly.

So which oil did you buy that was considered as equivalent?
I believe it was Castrol Edge 0W-30.
      07-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0