BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > RW Carbon

07-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Dillon7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

RW Carbon

Has anyone else bought the carbon fiber mirror caps from rw carbon? I purchased them and they didn't fit the best and eventually fell off and two of the clips broke as a result. I tried emailing them and I got called a liar and was told the clips broke during installation and they wouldn't warranty it which i know they didn't but oh well. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or if it worked.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

You get what you pay for unfortunately.

There are some threads on the M3/4 forums about them and in general people find that the weave is bad in complex corners and fitment is hit or miss. Some can’t even fit their parts or have missing tabs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon7 View Post
Has anyone else bought the carbon fiber mirror caps from rw carbon? I purchased them and they didn't fit the best and eventually fell off and two of the clips broke as a result. I tried emailing them and I got called a liar and was told the clips broke during installation and they wouldn't warranty it which i know they didn't but oh well. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or if it worked.
I have a pair that I haven't got around to installing yet. I'll try to get them on tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to remove the mirror glass in order to install my covers. Unfortunately they don't seem to come off as easily as they do in the videos. Using a plastic trim removal tool and applying pressure doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds78 View Post
I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to remove the mirror glass in order to install my covers. Unfortunately they don't seem to come off as easily as they do in the videos. Using a plastic trim removal tool and applying pressure doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something?
No, I removed mine quite easily... They are mounted in the middle of the glass with a couple of clips so you have to bend from either end point of the glass adjustability and then its just a matter of some force to remove them. I pushed mine so they were at the bottom and pointing into the car and got in from the top left corner.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

I personally won't buy from them. When I had my F80, I seriously considered getting a bunch of parts from them but started noticing that they would bash the companies they were copying. Making replica pieces is one thing, but to bash the companies that they took the design from is in poor taste. As tempting as the price points might be, I personally would never order anything from them.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was expecting the worst but mine seem to fit pretty well. For the cost vs OEM, I'm content with them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:

That sucks, but why are you buying made in China carbon fiber parts from RW carbon for your $60K M2?

From my experience, doesn't matter how good they talk up their products on their website or ebay listings, but most China carbon fiber parts has poor craftsmanship and quality control.

Someone may tell you they got a good one occasionally, but that's a rarity and I think they only think it's good because it's cheap. RW carbon prices aren't even that cheap for made in China parts. End up losing more money and time at the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtong View Post
I personally won't buy from them. When I had my F80, I seriously considered getting a bunch of parts from them but started noticing that they would bash the companies they were copying. Making replica pieces is one thing, but to bash the companies that they took the design from is in poor taste. As tempting as the price points might be, I personally would never order anything from them.

I fully agree and there are too many of these knock off replica companies out there. Stealing the designs of companies that actually invest time, labor, overhead, marketing and more in order put these products out there, only to have them copied within a month of release and sold for less than half their price.

What these knock off companies do is stealing and there is no scenario where it is right. Now bashing the companies that you are stealing from? That's a whole other level and RW is not the only one. Unfortunately too many people are being cheap and find ways to justify supporting these knockoff replica companies.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I seem to remember people from the F22 forum running into issues with UV damage pretty quickly on the RW Carbon parts. I think several people were happy with the fit & finish when the parts arrived and they were pretty good replicas but after a year or less they were less than impressed with the finish.
Appreciate 0