E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Flexray MSD81 - Tuning Collateral Damage?

05-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Question Flexray MSD81 - Tuning Collateral Damage?

I know we have are going down the path where BMW is clamping down on tuning. Much of the discussion has been around MSD80 vs. MSD81.

I have an alternative theory. I remember reading an article where BMW is really going down the path of adopting Flexray and getting out of the legacy CAN buses. (I can't find the article....so this is from memory).

Just think of CANs as communication buses between different devices in a car, ECU, suspension, engine etc. These legacy CAN buses (PT-CAN, LO-CAN, F-CAN, D-CAN) don't meet the new demands for data for new cars. For example, EDC on the M cars need a lot of bandwidth and low latency to effectively do its job. Engine management also needs low latency + high bandwidth (this is a big knock on the piggybacks).

Furthermore, my understanding is the legacy buses are not compatible with each other and supporting multiple CAN buses in single car actually steals bandwidth and latency.

I believe Flexray was introduced with the X5 and is in full flight with the M3. If BMW is pushing Flexray for every car and are just phasing it in, the lack of the ability to communicate with the MSD81 makes sense.

To prove this theory, we only need to look at the new M3. If BMW is using Flexray for the main communication protocol then we can infer they are phasing Flexray in for the rest of the 3 series.

Doesn't Jim have a new M3 and a MSD80?? He can validate?

I also recall reading that the Infineon Tricore CPU has a nice Flexray interface they can activate with a running change for the ECU.....

So the thing I am trying to work out.... I wonder if the inability to talk to the MSD81 is collateral damage (for tuners) as a result of BMW moving to Flexray and the true Anti-tuning measures from BMW is Progman 29.2??

Thoughts? Any BMW Techs?
      05-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

time....
      05-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
smdandb2
this space left intentionally blank
Rep
Drives: Blue One

I can't say for sure...

Jim may or may not have told me at one point he had the M3 stuff done already...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdandb2 View Post
I can't say for sure...

Jim may or may not have told me at one point he had the M3 stuff done already...

The big thing that we need to clarify if the counter measures are in the progman or the MSD81.

Also I believe there is a regular OBD2 port regardless of CAN / Flexray..... I am not sure if Jim is even trying to access the CAN / Flexray buses.
      05-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdandb2 View Post
I can't say for sure...

That would be fantastic, as then he can concentrate on the MSD81
      05-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Are the new M3's using Flexray? I was under the impression that the '08 X6 was the first BMW model to be fully utilizing Flexray .....
      05-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
Are the new M3's using Flexray? I was under the impression that the '08 X6 was the first BMW model to be fully utilizing Flexray .....

I am pretty sure they started with the X5, then M3 and then rolling it in througout their whole product line.
      05-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Yes, the E70 X5 was the first to use the flexray bus, and even then it was still just for the EDC setup on them. We were still using PT-CAN for powertrain communication. Flexray is the wave of the future though mainly for the reasons T-bone mentioned, flexray is so fast us technicians can't even scope it with the diagnostic equipment BMW gives us. A real time scope would be needed.

I know for sure that 29.2 has some anti tune measures in it, and haven't heard that the MSD81 was put into place for anti-tune reasons.

AFAIK, BMW is not using flexray bus for anything other than suspension systems right now, mainly systems that need to be very fast.
      05-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I know we have are going down the path where BMW is clamping down on tuning. Much of the discussion has been around MSD80 vs. MSD81.

I have an alternative theory. I remember reading an article where BMW is really going down the path of adopting Flexray and getting out of the legacy CAN buses. (I can't find the article....so this is from memory).

Just think of CANs as communication buses between different devices in a car, ECU, suspension, engine etc. These legacy CAN buses (PT-CAN, LO-CAN, F-CAN, D-CAN) don't meet the new demands for data for new cars. For example, EDC on the M cars need a lot of bandwidth and low latency to effectively do its job. Engine management also needs low latency + high bandwidth (this is a big knock on the piggybacks).

Furthermore, my understanding is the legacy buses are not compatible with each other and supporting multiple CAN buses in single car actually steals bandwidth and latency.

I believe Flexray was introduced with the X5 and is in full flight with the M3. If BMW is pushing Flexray for every car and are just phasing it in, the lack of the ability to communicate with the MSD81 makes sense.

To prove this theory, we only need to look at the new M3. If BMW is using Flexray for the main communication protocol then we can infer they are phasing Flexray in for the rest of the 3 series.

Doesn't Jim have a new M3 and a MSD80?? He can validate?

I also recall reading that the Infineon Tricore CPU has a nice Flexray interface they can activate with a running change for the ECU.....

So the thing I am trying to work out.... I wonder if the inability to talk to the MSD81 is collateral damage (for tuners) as a result of BMW moving to Flexray and the true Anti-tuning measures from BMW is Progman 29.2??

Thoughts? Any BMW Techs?

You are a true BMW-Guru

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
You are a true BMW-Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Yes, the E70 X5 was the first to use the flexray bus, and even then it was still just for the EDC setup on them. We were still using PT-CAN for powertrain communication. Flexray is the wave of the future though mainly for the reasons T-bone mentioned, flexray is so fast us technicians can't even scope it with the diagnostic equipment BMW gives us. A real time scope would be needed.

I know for sure that 29.2 has some anti tune measures in it, and haven't heard that the MSD81 was put into place for anti-tune reasons.

AFAIK, BMW is not using flexray bus for anything other than suspension systems right now, mainly systems that need to be very fast.

It really bothers me at a personal level when I don't understand something technical that I am interested in.... Call it OCD or whatever....

I actually spent most of last night reading more stuff on BMW and how they program their DMEs....

First some clarifications. We have been using Progman as the "code" that gets flashed into the DME but it would be more accurate to say that Progman is a Windows XP Embedded application that oversees other BMW program requirements.

It is also more accurate to use CIP (Code, Individualization, Programming) as the application that loads the binaries into the DME. So CIP 29.2 would be the revision that has the potential tuning counter-measure. For tuners to go through the "Front door", they would have to replicate the CIP funtion / application and encryption scheme.

I can also confirm that BMW has put an arbitrary limit of 14 flashes as per Jim's comments. The rationale behind this is that if you flash it 14 times, the hardware will no longer be compatible with the software. BMW, in fact, sets an "integration" target for hardware, if you don't have a certain revision number of hardware or newer, you will not be able to update the software in that particular module.

I am actually of the opinion now that the tuning countermeasures are in CIP 29.2 which means it can be loaded in the MSD80 and MSD81.

I think the recent churn about not being able to "flash" MSD81 is because of the CAN protocols and not because of any nefarious new encryption scheme. BMW dealers can flash MSD81 because they have a new Progman / CIP revision AND they have the new connection cable.

Still doing some research.
      05-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Just FYI:

I watched the E90 M3 get tuned live at Bimmerfest just fine and worked great.

Also, I've heard from multiple sources that the new M3 will be getting/has MSD81 as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
BMW///Motorsport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
It really bothers me at a personal level when I don't understand something technical that I am interested in.... Call it OCD or whatever....

I actually spent most of last night reading more stuff on BMW and how they program their DMEs....

First some clarifications. We have been using Progman as the "code" that gets flashed into the DME but it would be more accurate to say that Progman is a Windows XP Embedded application that oversees other BMW program requirements.

It is also more accurate to use CIP (Code, Individualization, Programming) as the application that loads the binaries into the DME. So CIP 29.2 would be the revision that has the potential tuning counter-measure. For tuners to go through the "Front door", they would have to replicate the CIP funtion / application and encryption scheme.

I can also confirm that BMW has put an arbitrary limit of 14 flashes as per Jim's comments. The rationale behind this is that if you flash it 14 times, the hardware will no longer be compatible with the software. BMW, in fact, sets an "integration" target for hardware, if you don't have a certain revision number of hardware or newer, you will not be able to update the software in that particular module.

I am actually of the opinion now that the tuning countermeasures are in CIP 29.2 which means it can be loaded in the MSD80 and MSD81.

I think the recent churn about not being able to "flash" MSD81 is because of the CAN protocols and not because of any nefarious new encryption scheme. BMW dealers can flash MSD81 because they have a new Progman / CIP revision AND they have the new connection cable.

You are the man TBone, this info is just what I was looking for. I hope to hear even more soon...
      05-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

So, 14 flashes and it's a paperweight if you can't reset the flash counter? That makes for a quick or expensive learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So, 14 flashes and it's a paperweight if you can't reset the flash counter? That makes for a quick or expensive learning curve.
I read in another thread that there is no flash counter and some ecus have been flashed over 1000 times
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
I read in another thread that there is no flash counter and some ecus have been flashed over 1000 times

They are 2 different things. Jim is speaking of some data field updates.

Flash means using the CIP program from BMW - limit of 14.
      05-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about the flash counter?

To our knowledge, no BMW has ever been equipped with a “flash
counter” as are some Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles. BMW ECUs
do have something called the UIF/AIF – which limits the number of
updates that can be applied to any single ECU. We do not touch this
structure and hence have flashed many ECUs over 1000 times.

Still, flashing your car – causing failures – then feigning ignorance is
the reason we are in the mess we are in w/ the N54. Your choices are
made of free will, and you should accept the consequences of your
choices.
from

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140697
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Unless I misunderstood what Jim Conforti said when he addressed the 14 flash limit of BMW ECU's, flashing with the SharkInjector does NOT toggle the flash counter.
      05-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unless I misunderstood what Jim Conforti said when he addressed the 14 flash limit of BMW ECU's, flashing with the SharkInjector does NOT toggle the flash counter.
+1 Thats what I was saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
+1 Thats what I was saying.
Yes .... unfortunately I was typing my response as you were posting yours
      05-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #20
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
I thought that sounded kind of unrealistic but, the way it was worded in that post I quoted that's what it sounded like.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #21
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes .... unfortunately I was typing my response as you were posting yours
Lucky for me I have blazing fast fingers!!

Quote:
I thought that sounded kind of unrealistic but, the way it was worded in that post I quoted that's what it sounded like.
Yeah 14 flashes I mean, even if you didn't want to fine tune it perfectly, thats only 7 dealer visits.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #22
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Sorry for my noob like answer/ question .... but let me get this right ...

MSD80 can not be turnned into MSD81 .... so if I have MSD80 and go into the dealership they cant update to MSD81 ... correct?

2nd the new code (the anti-tune measures) that is triggered that tells BMW you had some sorry of piggyback on the car is updated through 29.2 ? so that means even thou I have MSD80 on my car that sill can be loaded on. Correct?
Appreciate 0