F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Manual Vacuum Oil Extractor
Studio RSR

07-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Manual Vacuum Oil Extractor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manu...000RA16CO?th=1

I am looking to change my oil and don't have ramps or a jack, given the oil filter is at the top of the engine and easy to change what are your opinions of the above?

Anyone used one?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

No, no, no, no, no.
Any sediment settles at the bottom of the sump.

If you buy a service kit from BMW, it includes a crush washer for the sump plug. Because that is the proper way to drain the oil AND the crud.

(My background in chemistry includes several years working for Shell in oil development and testing)
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1787.50
      07-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
No, no, no, no, no.
Any sediment settles at the bottom of the sump.

If you buy a service kit from BMW, it includes a crush washer for the sump plug. Because that is the proper way to drain the oil AND the crud.

(My background in chemistry includes several years working for Shell in oil development and testing)
If you drive round for a while so the oil is hot won't the crud be then suspended in the oil?

Would the oil filter not also remove crud.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I have a 12 volt oil pump that I use when I absolutely can't get to the sump bung.
I'm never sure I can get all the oil out, and sometimes it is a real fiddle getting the pipe down the dipstick tube.
For my BMW, I'd use it for an interim oil change between dealer visits.
It's a catch 22 situation - use a Jack to get underneath, then the front of the car is higher, so may not drain properly.
I'm lucky enough to have a pit in my garage, but my classic car lives on it and I don't always want to get it out to get another car over. 1st world problems!
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      07-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #5
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

The garage I use have one of these because apparently certain vehicles no longer have sump plugs.

They have gotten into the habit of using it on cars that do have sump plugs out of sheer laziness.

There is a certain eastern European mechanic in the garage who I insist always works on my cars because he seriously knows his shit.
He is the kind of mechanic that will challenge the NVQ boys by telling them he can diagnose a fault before they have had a chance too hook up their Autologic/Snapon computers.
He will then diagnose a fault just by listening to the car. The NVQ boys as he calls them will not have even fully booted up their computers.

He will never use that contraption on my cars. To quote him.......

"Pumpy pumpy sucky thing no good. Old fashon way best way. Gravity make all shit come out."
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      07-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
The garage I use have one of these because apparently certain vehicles no longer have sump plugs.

They have gotten into the habit of using it on cars that do have sump plugs out of sheer laziness.

There is a certain eastern European mechanic in the garage who I insist always works on my cars because he seriously knows his shit.
He is the kind of mechanic that will challenge the NVQ boys by telling them he can diagnose a fault before they have had a chance too hook up their Autologic/Snapon computers.
He will then diagnose a fault just by listening to the car. The NVQ boys as he calls them will not have even fully booted up their computers.

"Pumpy pumpy sucky thing no good. Old fashon way best way. Gravity make all shit come out."
I think I agree with him too.

Will get it done properly, was going to do a 1 year change in between the standard change myself but will get BMW to do labour only as I have the oil and filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

I think I agree with him too.

Will get it done properly, was going to do a 1 year change in between the standard change myself but will get BMW to do labour only as I have the oil and filter.
Your local independent would probably work out cheaper provided you want an interim oil change and no update to service records. However, without a reset the timer would still count down to the due interval.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      07-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Not even possible at all on a petrol - my 328i doesn't have a physical dipstick :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoken with Cotswold BMW who agreed a price of £37.50 labour as I already have my own oil and filter, both purchased from their parts department.

They said we only charge for the time it takes

Amazing service from them....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

lol, there's no issues using the vacuum system. you're going to have crud and metal fines at the bottom of your pan regardless, and a quality oil filter will prevent it from getting to your engines components. you guys are looking too deep into this.

now if it will actually work without a dipstick, i don't know.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0