E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 Firmware Won't Update Firmware, Must Send In to BMS to be flashed?

08-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

JB4 Firmware Won't Update Firmware, Must Send In to BMS to be flashed?

Trying to update my JB4 firmware for the first time since owning the car. Get the ECU connected and then go to Update Firmware and receive the message: "*** WARNING *** THIS JB4 HAS FIRMWARE THAT CAN NOT BE REMOTELY UPDATED. OBARD MUST BE SENT IN TO BMS TO BE FLASHED."

Terry said in a post I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
Exactly. You send the board in and we flash the latest firmware to it. Those who update at home would never use this. The one caveat being older JB4 boards have some fuses on the chip that can only be set at flash time. Some day we may add features that requires those fuses to be set a certain way so in that case older boards would need to be sent in to be flashed using this option.
I also followed this: ***DO NOT UPLOAD FIRMWARE UNTIL YOU READ THIS *** All Duty Bias must be set to 0 or 50 to avoid 30FF under boost codes. 3rd gear boost limiting should also be set to 0 to disable. Menu4 in dash should be set to 3 for a factory flashed car or 2 for a back end flashed car. Failure to follow these directions will result in poor performance and 30FF or 30FE fault codes.***

--

The board is JB4 G5 ISO on Firmware version 27/5//2 so I don't see why it would have any trouble updating. I have a couple theories:

1. I'm making too big of a firmware jump and my JB4 interface itself is incompatible with my "older" firmware version. I could maybe try using an older JB4 interface version and an older firmware version to make a smaller jump before going up to the newer version/firmware.

If so, does anybody have some old JB4 interface and firmware files they can send me?

2. I'm an idiot and I don't know how to update my firmware

3. BMS put some crap in the program code to throw this message so they can make more money and sell hard flashes for $30

4. ??
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Some really old versions require that. You could probably find some old interface that isn't smart enough to check the board for you but then once you loaded the new firmware the car just won't run right. That old chip requires a fuse setting on the board itself which can only happen with a hard flash.

Mike
Appreciate 0