F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F32 Suspension for xDrive vs non-xDrive
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i F32 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
F32 Suspension for xDrive vs non-xDrive

Hi guys,

I've been digging through the forum for the last few hours but couldn't find a solid answer for this and most of the thread were few years old. So hopefully I can get a better understanding of the difference combine with newer knowledge. I got a 2018 440i F32 xDrive Coupe with MPPSK

1. Is it true that the xDrive suspension set higher than non-xDrive?
2. If so, by how much?
3. Are they different part or just the damper setting makes the height different?
4. If adaptive M suspension lower xDrive's height by 10mm, does it lower non-xDrive even more overall if non-xDrive was initially lower?

Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoli84 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been digging through the forum for the last few hours but couldn't find a solid answer for this and most of the thread were few years old. So hopefully I can get a better understanding of the difference combine with newer knowledge. I got a 2018 440i F32 xDrive Coupe with MPPSK

1. Is it true that the xDrive suspension set higher than non-xDrive?
2. If so, by how much?
3. Are they different part or just the damper setting makes the height different?
4. If adaptive M suspension lower xDrive's height by 10mm, does it lower non-xDrive even more overall if non-xDrive was initially lower?

Thanks for your time!
1. yes, they have to have driveshafts, transaxle, etc., takes up space, so they "build up" the car. Other ways to do this is like audi and subaru that put the engine in front of the front axle, porsche puts the engine in back of the rear axle, and so on. Unless you are doing one of these, it's hard to avoid a higher AWD car.

2. Not a huge amount, but around an inch or so? Makes the car look a bit more like an outback IMO.

3. see #1. Wheel travel is the same as the non-xdrive, they just have to have it start off higher.

4. It does not lower the suspension 10mm. It does nothing to the suspension height. Only on non-xdrive cars does adding adaptive lower the suspension.

What you can do if you have adaptive is get ACS springs and shockware, that will lower the height, stiffen it up, increase the damping rates, and give you a bit tighter package, I also did dinan swayarms. If you don't have the adaptive, I'd recommend only getting lowering springs if you get new struts/dampers that can match the increased rate.
      08-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
1. yes, they have to have driveshafts, transaxle, etc., takes up space, so they "build up" the car. Other ways to do this is like audi and subaru that put the engine in front of the front axle, porsche puts the engine in back of the rear axle, and so on. Unless you are doing one of these, it's hard to avoid a higher AWD car.

2. Not a huge amount, but around an inch or so? Makes the car look a bit more like an outback IMO.

3. see #1. Wheel travel is the same as the non-xdrive, they just have to have it start off higher.

4. It does not lower the suspension 10mm. It does nothing to the suspension height. Only on non-xdrive cars does adding adaptive lower the suspension.

What you can do if you have adaptive is get ACS springs and shockware, that will lower the height, stiffen it up, increase the damping rates, and give you a bit tighter package, I also did dinan swayarms. If you don't have the adaptive, I'd recommend only getting lowering springs if you get new struts/dampers that can match the increased rate.
The reason I asked because I was checking the H&R spring for my car and the spec sheet stated that the sport spring will lower 1.5" vs 1" with adaptive M suspension, so I'd assume adaptive M suspension has already lower the car by 0.5" or 10mm
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoli84 View Post
The reason I asked because I was checking the H&R spring for my car and the spec sheet stated that the sport spring will lower 1.5" vs 1" with adaptive M suspension, so I'd assume adaptive M suspension has already lower the car by 0.5" or 10mm
No, M adaptive does not lower X-drive. It simply does not. The x-drive cars are built higher and the adaptive DOES NOT lower the car. Nothing lowers the OEM cars. There is no sport suspension and the adaptive is the same ride height.

And the H&R are very suspect IMO because 1 size does not fit all. 435s vs 428s vs x-drive vs not, these all have significantly different weights and weight distribution. If they are saying it's the same springs/same part no.s, then I can't really take them seriously. Last time I checked, this was the case. This is why I went with ACS, they seemed to be tuned to the exact model, different part numbers. Dinan seems to take a similar approach, making sure the springs are tuned to the exact model. H&R seems to be way too far on the side of looks and sacrificing performance/ride/reliability. A 1.5 drop means either constant bottoming or much stiffer springs, which require stiffer (more) damping. Nothing is free here.
      10-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Do I still get to pick and choose the stiffness of the suspension after replacing just the spring? Do I lose the option completely if replace with coilover?
Appreciate 0