E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Spark Plug replacement questions

05-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Spark Plug replacement questions

Hi guys,

I found this and had a few questions...

"Due to the proximity of the spark plug to the fuel injector nozzle, any divergence in the fuel spray may cause possible spark plug damage. This makes spark plug diagnosis an important part of N54 service concerns. Information gained by the spark plug diagnosis may indicate possible fuel injector faults. Spark plug replacement interval has been reduced to 45,000 miles for the N54."

Estimated cost for spark plug replacement ?

Has anybody had their 335i plugs replaced already due to failure ?

I know we need a special tool to get to the plugs , are the plugs easy to access ?

Im guessing the 45k is accurate... your thoughts ?

thanks

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Hi guys,

"Due to the proximity of the spark plug to the fuel injector nozzle, any divergence in the fuel spray may cause possible spark plug damage. This makes spark plug diagnosis an important part of N54 service concerns. Information gained by the spark plug diagnosis may indicate possible fuel injector faults. Spark plug replacement interval has been reduced to 45,000 miles for the N54."

I know we need a special tool to get to the plugs , are the plugs easy to access ?

thanks

ppp
- Costs: I don't know.
- Plugs already replaced: Yes, some did it already. IIRC those had high-boost piggybacks.
- Tool: You need a special tool from BMW to replace the plugs.
- Interval: I will replace the spark plugs soon ( 16k miles on the car ). After that I can decide how my future intervals will be.

Using the search function, you will find more information related to your questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
shyestsparks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan, 02 Altima VQ35DE-T

Quote:
Hi guys,

thanks

ppp
Spark plug changed at 17K; about $18-22.00 per plug plus $30+ for the special tool. It's not too hard to change it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I changed my plugs at 17k due to misfires... I used the special tool and you will need a torque wrench and tighten to 23nm or 17 lb-ft... You will need to remove the plastic cover to get to the coils and then its kind of hard and tricky to get those things off but once you do its easy... I payed $116.96 for the 6 plugs and about $35 for the spark plug socket tool. If you are running tuned i would suggest changing the plugs every 15k miles...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

wow guys reminds me of my Isuzu Imark days... at 26,000 miles the electrode was worn down to the ceramic.

thanks

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
wow guys reminds me of my Isuzu Imark days... at 26,000 miles the electrode was worn down to the ceramic.

thanks

ppp
The thing with me is i run 100oct straight all the time so i get a deposit on my plugs, then when it gets too thick i need to change them due to misfires...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0WN4IT View Post
The thing with me is i run 100oct straight all the time so i get a deposit on my plugs, then when it gets too thick i need to change them due to misfires...
So you own a gas station or something?
      05-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I think you guys are missing the point. It sounds like who ever that is quoted from is saying if there something wrong with the spray pattern on the injector or if it were clocked wrong (I don't think it's possible but, who knows) the injector could blow the spark out causing a misfire and fouling the plug.

Meaning if you keep fouling plugs there might be an injector issue causing it not, just high boost wearing out the plug.I could see how a 3000psi jet of fuel could blow out a plug.

Where is that quote from?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I think you guys are missing the point. It sounds like who ever that is quoted from is saying if there something wrong with the spray pattern on the injector or if it were clocked wrong (I don't think it's possible but, who knows) the injector could blow the spark out causing a misfire and fouling the plug.

Meaning if you keep fouling plugs there might be an injector issue causing it not, just high boost wearing out the plug.I could see how a 3000psi jet of fuel could blow out a plug.

Where is that quote from?
Hotrod,

I'll find it again... it was from another message where it was quoted from a bmw shop manual or something... hang tight incomming...

EDIT: post is alittle over half way down by JMONIER

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ug+replacement

thanks

ppp
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

thats alot for plugs but it has to be done!

Translation: That black guy is doing 200 miles per hour
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Would you throw any type of code for a blown spark plug? Or a misfire. . . . . I'm at 23k and have never changed my plugs and recently, when I'm just waiting at a light I get seriously rough idles and VERY irregular idle patterns and sputters, almost like my car's about to stall. Is that what misfiring feels like?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

u should throw a code as soon as it happens if it does more then 2 twice in a row in the same cylinder.

Translation: That black guy is doing 200 miles per hour
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
imaznumkay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

dixis has sparkplug replacements for 335i if you're willing to shell out some cash on it
      05-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4u2nv View Post
u should throw a code as soon as it happens if it does more then 2 twice in a row in the same cylinder.
shit. . . . well thats not happening, so my rough idles must be attributed to something else then. . . . but I still think I should change mine.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

shopping list

torque wrench
unique bmw spark plug socket
6 unique bmw spark plugs

vs dealer price ???

grey area... will dealer replace plugs under maintenance or service contract and questionable handling if Dinan modified DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
shopping list

torque wrench
6 unique bmw spark plugs

vs dealer price ???

grey area... will dealer replace plugs under maintenance or service contract and questionable handling if Dinan modified DME.
If not Dinan should cover it right?

Anyway, I think it's interesting that so many people don't like iridium plugs. I ran them in both of my evo's. One of which was running 24psi and I had the same plugs for 40K miles with no issues.

On a side note I am really getting sick of all the special crap this car requires. Special oils, special oil filters, special tools for oil filter, special spark plugs, special tools to change plugs, special no mar socket if you don't want your lug bolts to look like ass after a few removals...fuck it all adds up after a while. Especially when I have a garage full of tools that worked just fine on normal cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
shopping list

torque wrench
6 unique bmw spark plugs

vs dealer price ???

at this point, I would avoid the dealer at all costs.

Dealer risks/costs:
1) You run the risk of having your DME and progman updated to the latest versions (the ones we dont like)
2) If they deny the work under warranty, then your stuck paying at least 100-150 for an hour of labor, plus the cost of the parts and any other premiums.

V.S. . . .

1) doing it yourself without the headache or fear of having the new updates done
2) without the risk of having the tune being blamed for the cause of failure
3) without running the risk of having the work denied under warranty and having to pay the high dealer cost.

Plugs and tools= approx. 146
v.s.
Dealer labor, parts, DME/Progman updates= headache and well over $200

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post

On a side note I am really getting sick of all the special crap this car requires. Special oils, special oil filters, special tools for oil filter, special spark plugs, special tools to change plugs, special no mar socket if you don't want your lug bolts to look like ass after a few removals...fuck it all adds up after a while. Especially when I have a garage full of tools that worked just fine on normal cars.
+100

well doesnt that just make us special then, haha. . . .

Appreciate 0