F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lumbered with a Nissan GTR
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XD M Sport

So with a friend of mine being away on holiday he's burdened me with the task of looking after his Nissan GTR for a few weeks.......

There's little point of me trying to write a full review of this car as without consistent access to a race track I'll never truly know what it can do. The speed of the the thing once it gets going it just frightening. It has a litchfield upgrade kit taking it to about 600bhp I believe and you can feel every one galloping through your body.

What really does surprise me is just how mellow and incognito it can be just going through town. In auto it gets up through the gears asap and can be fairy quiet. With the 4 wheel drive, even when getting up to pace there's no nervousness or panic from the chassis and it's so planted and stable there's really no skill required at all. Yes it's a little firm and if you use the throttle right it can certainly growl but with the big boot and ease of driving I can see how it could be used as a daily driver so long as your not expecting to get people comfortably in the back.

Build quality is pretty poor and despite being fairly low mileage and well looked after there's signs of corrosion already at 8 years old.
To be fair though you don't think about that at all when you plant your right foot as it really is one of those cars which puts an instant smile on your face. It's clear the engineers only had one thing in mind and for outright pace and smiles per miles I'd say they nailed it.

Overall, if I had a spare few million in the bank I'm sure I'd have one in the collection but for me, right here right now...... I'd still take the 330d if I could have only one of the 2
Appreciate 1
JustChris17605.50
      08-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

and a remapped 330d is faster anyway isnt it..

Nice toy to have for the end of summer though!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
and a remapped 330d is faster anyway isnt it..

Nice toy to have for the end of summer though!
Funnily enough within the speed limits and both boxes in auto the 330d actually feels quicker with that lump of torque.

Obviously when speeds get up or your playing with paddles to keep them singing it's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

You should try launch control. Looks a riot on the YouTube vids.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
You should try launch control. Looks a riot on the YouTube vids.
Honestly interested (in the name of science of course) in putting it up against my GSX-R 750 as unbelievably the car feels like it would keep up no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Poor you...

I came very close to buying one of these couple of years ago and managed to source a 24hr test drive via Nissan UK . House move put pay to getting one at the time, but I still remember how insanely fast the thing was

I picked up the car from Manchester (Westway Nissan) and the dealer took me out for a (very quick) spin to show me the controls etc and I was warned not to use LC and that they would check upon returning the car and to take the car seriously as he doubted I'd have driven anything as fast previously......he was right....

So, a sedate drive home down the M62 to get used to the thing, then off into the Yorkshire countryside....completely agree with the way the car gathers pace, it's immense and without fuss, the electronic gadgetry and 4WD is amazing and the way the car hold the road defies the laws of physics

I had some real fun in those few hours and spent a shed load on fuel

The one downside was the constant expectation of the traffic light GP (admittedly this was a Saturday night around Leeds), yes, I know it's your choice to partake, but pretty much everything would have a go, most I didn't bother with, as a GTR will put most things into the weeds, even the most expensive exotica.
On the one occasion I did bury the throttle, a rather nice 458 had a rolling start on me on the ring road and yet the GTR still managed to catch and pull ahead. Ended up chatting to the bloke at the next set of lights, he was genuinely in awe of something that 1/3 of the cost of his had such blistering performance.

But, as you say, all of this comes at the cost of quality, it's plastic city inside the cabin and you don't see many good condition older ones on the road. Still won't stop me scratching that itch one day though....

Was disappointed to return it to the dealer the next day
Appreciate 1
kwak2433.50