E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP failures and build dates: software?

05-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

HPFP failures and build dates: software?

Noting the SIB for HPFP replacement, and the general (but imperfect) pattern of 9/06 - 10/06 build date (and some other ranges) higher frequency failure rates, I pondered what the cause might be. Two reasonable hypotheses: (1) the pumps are different somehow, and (2) other aspects of the car that affect pump failure are different.

In regard to hypothesis #2, an idea crossed my mind that fits with some other observations. Perhaps the software difference -- in particular the apparent slightly higher boost in some early cars, perhaps intended to cover the press and other important introductions -- is responsible for the higher failure rates.

In my case, I got one of the very first E90 335s, build date 04/09/06, the first day of production. I took delivery in Munich on 23/09/06, the first (I think) USA owner to receive their car, even before the official release.

There are rumored 'hot' cars, e.g., the one that C&D got 0-60 in 4.7 secs. One explanation was that the press was getting one of the higher tune versions of the N54 with an extra .5 lb of boost. These cars were the early build ones. [an aside, when my son and I picked up our car, Bernhard and co. thought that we were press or VIPs of some sort, given the unusual nature of the early delivery date. I thought my car a bit faster than others that I drove later, and felt a slight loss of power with a Progman update]

If this added stress from the higher output tune affected the HPFP (and their are plausible reasons for this link), that would explain the build date correlation. That said, AFAIK my HPFP is working perfectly. But I am really nice to my car. And it returns the favor.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Just read Boost nation's sad story.

I will have to recant my 'BMW is fair' stance in regard to warranty claims if the blanket red flag policy is widespread. A recall is a recall. I would want to see some hard data linking piggys to HPFP failure.

And how far does this policy against mods go? Coilovers nix control arm failures? Etc. I really hope that there is a rational approach here.

Freude am fahren?
Appreciate 0