E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got 29.2 Update - asked about Dinan and got nothing but BAD talk about it

05-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Got 29.2 Update - asked about Dinan and got nothing but BAD talk about it

Nothing GROUND BREAKING here that I can tell, but scary/disconcerting/disheartening, etc etc nonetheless.

Anyway, went in for a tail light recall and they said they needed to update to 29.2 while they had it, so they kept it overnight.

Picked up the car today and while I'm in there I ask the SA, playing dumb, "Hey, I heard about some Dinan flash thing, what's the deal and do you know anything about it?" Now, my dealer is NOT a Dinan linked dealer, but there are two others within 20 miles that are, so they darn well should at least be aware of it. SA responds that he heard of it but doesn't know enough to tell me and walks me over to the group of techs standing in the bays. He introduces me to them and throws out the question "Hey, what do you guys know about a Dinan tune?"
The lead tech jumps in and just starts ripping into it with "I'll tell you right now, you do NOT want to mess with a Dinan tune. It will mess up your car and void the warranty instantly. They were not authorized to edit BMW's code, yet they hacked/cracked it anyway and are doing things to this motor that will damage it, and it is an expensive motor. BMW is sueing Dinan right now and they are breaking all ties and their implied warranty will be usless. I am shocked that any dealer is even offering the flash anymore and I wouldn't expect that to continue for long at all. Just don't mess with that."

Youch. Now, before anyone accuses me of making up negative propganda, I don't know what I can do but swear that it's true...I literally just came back from the dealer, where I went during my lunch to get my car back. While I HAVE been anti-Dinan in the past (purely because of cost and non-resale factors, the quality I like), I have actually just started to CONSIDER GETTING the flash now that this huge cluster-f is hitting the fan with 29.2 and the general scary crackdown on piggies and all. Anyway, this is not settling to hear from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

I do not doubt that he said that, but for him to say that the tune will "mess up your car" and "damage" the motor destroys his credibility.
      05-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

BMWNA will not warranty the car, but Dinan will. You'll be fine.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

go to one of the many dinan dealers... and ask the same question...

"hey SA do you know anything about the Dinan tune ???"

lol

you'll get a completely different story. and btw kinda similar to stories from one auto dealer to the next... my car is better then XYZ.

ppp

p.s. and btw what you dont know is at least one of those mechanics if not the one you spoke to has a proceed or another piggy... lol
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The only interesting thing I found is this is now the second time I've heard of BMW suing Dinan.. Not that I find much truth in it, just find it interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
BMWNA will not warranty the car, but Dinan will. You'll be fine.
Not bashing Dinan, but time will tell.
I have a feeling BMW is cracking the whip on mods right now; and if BMW blindly voiding waranty without any hard proof on fail-to-mod thing. It'll be interesting if Dinan can pick up so many claims on little things, like warp rotor etc. (I am not even talking blown engine here).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
I have a feeling BMW is cracking the whip on mods right now; and if BMW blindly voiding waranty without any hard proof on fail-to-mod thing. It'll be interesting if Dinan can pick up so many claims on little things, like warp rotor etc. (I am not even talking blown engine here).
at 200+ FLASHES PER MONTH. Thats $400,000 a month for an item that costs them NOTHING, I'm sure they'll have you covered.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel the point in which bmw is getting silly with their denying claims solely based upon the dinan flash. This will be when Dinan gets legal involved and they support the 1000's of dinan flashed owner's in court. Dinan isnt going to take it laying down but they arent going to rock the boat until there is major $$ involved.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
I feel the point in which bmw is getting silly with their denying claims solely based upon the dinan flash. This will be when Dinan gets legal involved and they support the 1000's of dinan flashed owner's in court. Dinan isnt going to take it laying down but they arent going to rock the boat until there is major $$ involved.

ppp
Yeah Dinans legal team is one that could actually give BMW's legal team a run for their money. No pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
Yeah Dinans legal team is one that could actually give BMW's legal team a run for their money. No pun intended.
Not sure that what Steve D. would do, I can't and won't sue the hand that feed me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure that what Steve D. would do, I can't and won't sue the hand that feed me.
If the hand that feeds you is feeding you poison...

ppp
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Dinan provides BMW a list each month of the cars they have tuned, they are likely not suing each other.
      05-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Plus what damages would BMW be suing for? Having to pay for warranty repairs? No, Dinan is paying. From taking their profit? No, they don't even offer a flash. Even if they did they cannot block other from doing the same thing.
      05-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

I can't see BMW continuing the relationship with Dinan in light of all this new piggyback or tuning software...If they are against tuning of thier cars, it would be kind of silly to continue with Dinan...I think they will honor the Dinan tunes after those of a certain time period, and anything after that will be considered red flagged....This is really sad, and in doing so will lose alot of perspective buyers in the future!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

so when you go dinan your bmw warranty is gone? Wouldnt that be a problem when people return their leased dinan tuned cars?
      05-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulises 335i View Post
so when you go dinan your bmw warranty is gone? Wouldnt that be a problem when people return their leased dinan tuned cars?
Not an expert just following my logic.
Lease usually goes for 24-36 mo, that means the car still have about 1 year left on Dinan waranty (since BMW drop the waranty already).
So in ideal world dealer should :
1) bring the car back to stock (re-flashing)
2) run CPO inspection

The problem will arise if new customer want to extend the waranty, since Dinan doesn't want to deal with it (so wouldn't BMW). Hope the 3rd party waranty co doesn't know what's going on and step in.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

ok I get it now , so does dinan even flash leased cars?

To first post: I think those tech were just talking shit.
      05-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:

ppp
sorry, I disagree. Dinan has no incentive to get involved. BMW denying warranty claims has no effect on them. They sell the flash and people are or should be aware that BMW may deny them coverage, and Dinan provides their own warranty. Unless BMW does something that cuts into Dinan's bottom line, like preventing them from selling flashes, I don't see them getting involved. In fact, the more BMW fusses over the warranties, the better Dinan looks relative to other tuners since it provides its own warranty (albeit one that I strongly believe will not prove that useful).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
sorry, I disagree. Dinan has no incentive to get involved. BMW denying warranty claims has no effect on them. They sell the flash and people are or should be aware that BMW may deny them coverage, and Dinan provides there own warranty. Unless BMW does something that cuts into Dinan's bottom line, like preventing them from selling flashes, I don't see them getting involved. In fact, the more BMW fusses over the warranties, the better Dinan looks relative to other tuners since it provides its own warranty.
Herms,

the incentive on Dinan's part would be the massive influx of denied warranty claims dinan must absorb.

ppp
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yes, assuming they know you had the flash, which is apparently the purpose of the new software. I posted something about this the other day. Not sure what happens. Some have suggested the return option is voided, but I find it difficult to see how they enforce that (you can't make people spend money they don't have to buy a car and if they try to continue payments and you default, then well now they take the car back anyway). I'm speculating that they could claim excessive damage or something and just try to bilk people for some extra money when they turn the car in. Again, how do you value the remainder of the warranty in the absence of any damage to the car? This would be very interesting, and if it happened to me I'd fight them relentlessly on it until they got sick of me. Of course, query whether you encounter any problems at all if you go in looking to get a new BMW, as opposed to just turning the car in.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Herms,

the incentive on Dinan's part would be the massive influx of denied warranty claims dinan must absorb.

ppp
don't see that happening. the Dinan warranty isn't a warranty for any claims BMW denies, it's for damage caused by the Dinan products. The flip side of the dealer making a "reasonable" (i.e. tenuous) argument that the Dinan product caused the problem is that Dinan will no doubt say it had nothing to do with them. Case in point: someone with a flash who gets denied fuel pump replacement even though it's a common problem on non-tuned cars as well.

Last edited by Herms; 05-14-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
ok I get it now , so does dinan even flash leased cars?

To first post: I think those tech were just talking shit.

Yes, but what's strange is a BMW SA told me that the car must be returned to stock at turn in. The implication is that BMW can not CPO a car that has had a tune. Remember, not all used BMW's sold on BMW lots are CPO. Some are "as is". The bigger problem would be if the previous owner used a piggyback and a potential used buyer took a look under the engine cover to look for signs of an install/removal. I don't know if BMW's used car dept is selling those cars "as is".
Appreciate 0