E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Ordered new 335xi coupe: dealer worries me

05-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
spacecadet610
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Ordered new 335xi coupe: dealer worries me

Ok so yesterday i just negotiated for what i thought was a great deal for $500 over invoice on an almost fully loaded custom-ordered 335xi coupe. (Although he said he couldnt give me the floor mats). He emailed me an out-the-door price including TTL.

He said he would email me the production number after i paid the security deposit. I paid $1000 security deposit by credit card yesterday about noon time after some phone calls and emails back and forth. he emailed and told me over the phone that we would stick to the $500 over invoice deal with the june 1st price increase (although the actual numbers of the price increase weren't discussed)

i emailed once afterwards for the production number at about 2 pm. I also called about 4 pm and he said he was really busy and would do it. So he never emailed me the production number yesterday.

Questions:
1. i feel a bit disregarded after he got my security deposit. Is it reasonable or legal to request my security deposit back (so i can go with another dealer?). This dealer is in MN.
2. Our discussion was by email and phone (since i am out-of-state). Should i request a written contract to sign that details my out-the-door fees? Is this what everyone else does? I just dont want to be surprised with hidden fees when i walk in to sign my papers. My car is supposed to take 6-8 weeks to arrive.
3. Looking at the out-the-door price more carefully, MACO and training service/fees i think were reasonable. Tax is 6.5% which leaves ~$1000 fees which i assume were for titling, registration, license, etc. is this about right for MN?
4. I haven't ordered a car before. Am i too worried about this and am i overreacting?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

I've ordered two. The first one was all done by email and over the phone. They never gave me an official print out, but there was a decent paper trail on both sides due to the email chain. The second time I ordered the F&I guy had an official print out for me when I walked out the door. I wouldn't be too worried about that.....

The thing I'd be worried about is the $500 over invoice after the June 1st price hike. My car is going to be delivered right around that time, so I called my dealer the other day to see if I could be hit with the increased price. According to him, since I ordered before June 1st, delivery date doesn't matter. I'm paying the pre-June price.

All in all, it seems a bit fishy. You might want to call them and get an out the door number nailed down so they can't screw you over later.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

You're definitely over reacting. It usually takes a few days to get the production number, so he probably didn't even have it yet. He might have it by today.

You made the deal now, so you can't be affected by the June 1st price rise, even though your car will get to you afterwards. As for hidden fees, you should have already discussed everything with him, and know exactly what's due at signing. Ask him to email or fax you the final worksheet with all the numbers on it.

However, should you find you want to go with another dealer, you can certainly ask for your deposit back and cancel the order, however, if they have already built the car for you, they will frequently keep it until your car is sold just in case you ordered something horrible that no one else will buy. I don't know how exactly it all works, but I know you CAN get your money back.
      05-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

if i'm not mistaken, if you ordered after may 9th, the june 1st price increase applies to your order.

edit: a copy of the price increase bulletin can be found here.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice1 View Post
if i'm not mistaken, if you ordered after may 9th, the june 1st price increase applies to your order.

edit: a copy of the price increase bulletin can be found here.
Wow, looks like you're right. That's pretty shitty.
      05-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
spacecadet610
Private
Rep

yeah looks like i'll definitely pay for the price increase.

well i did get the production number today. Saturday I also emailed him a request for the itemized charges to me and the final price. I'll see for sure whether there are any extra charges.

Yeah i don't see why it would be a problem to cancel the order as long as the car hasn't gone into production. He never actually mentioned (and i didn't ask beforehand) whether the deposit was refundable or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
spacecadet610
Private
Rep

Ok got the numbers and they look good. $637 for title and licensing fees which i guess is reasonable. And then the MACO and training/service fees i can accept.

Now when i pick up the car i'll have to see if i can finagle some floor mats (he said no initially).

Otherwise, maybe i'll buy them from him. i'll check ebay too..

can't wait for the car. will be checking my order status over the automated phone thing and website everyday.

Last edited by spacecadet610; 05-20-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
spacecadet610
Private
Rep

crap i didn't realize there was a trunk money incentive for automatic transmission.

that's another $1260. Do i have negotiating room to request this? I gave him my deposit 3 days ago and have production number.

We did agree to $500 over invoice price. And the trunk money incentive reduces invoice by $1260, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

I've been waiting over a week and no production number...
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
If only they'd change the prices for us in Canada too....we're still getting bilked.
Appreciate 0