F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help bmw f31 2013 steering rack knock
Studio RSR

10-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
K3vmcb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Help bmw f31 2013 steering rack knock

Well good evening I don't know what part of the forum to post this on so I'm posting it in a couple of sections I have a bmw f31 2013 touring x drive 320d I have this very annoying clunking noise which has came from no where I herd it when my car engine was off slightly touched the steering wheel clunk and now if you shake the steering wheel it clunks I've jacked the car up checked everything and by the looks and feel of things it's coming from the steering rack and after typing on google a lot of people have said rack replacement is there a recall for the steering rack to get replaced on f31's ? Or how can I go about it as I don't really want to be going and paying like £3000 for the repair or even more considering the rack is £2400 many thanks kev any info would be great thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Pretty well documented complaint that seems to never end. The noise is in the rack usually, and some dealers will replace them under warranty if you keep complaining.

That is if everything else is fine - ball joints, top mounts, wheel bolt torque, control arms, intermediate shaft, etc.

The other way to get a rack is if your car has been in a front end collision which bent some arms/shocks or buckled rims you could argue that BMW requires the rack to be replaced due to significant suspension damage (it's outlined in the technical literature)
Appreciate 0