BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Adaptive LED headlights - brief test but impressed

10-17-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Adaptive LED headlights - brief test but impressed

As title reads
Had the oppotunity to try out the adaptive headlights this weekend. Not for long but enough to get an idea of what they do and was impressed.
Amazing how the lights were directed around the other cars and how much they move around.

The dipped beams were also impressive as well reaching far up the road (I guess aimed as high as they can go without blinding)

Cornering lights also useful, particularly on a right angle turn so it lights up the corner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
As title reads
Had the oppotunity to try out the adaptive headlights this weekend. Not for long but enough to get an idea of what they do and was impressed.
Amazing how the lights were directed around the other cars and how much they move around.

The dipped beams were also impressive as well reaching far up the road (I guess aimed as high as they can go without blinding)

Cornering lights also useful, particularly on a right angle turn so it lights up the corner.
Indeed yes, one of the first options I was sure about.

Very clever technology, which works, could even save someone's life, what's more they look far cooler than the standard.
      10-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Seconded. It makes G30 unambiguously different from F10. I believe the front end is the least attractive of G30. The front end of G30 looks much more handsome with the ICON adaptive light.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I actually think the standard LED looks fine to me, I opted for the icon ones purely on functionality, wanted the adaptive aspect.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Yes, I can also verify your comments on the brilliance of the Adaptive LEDs . I love them only imperfection is their perfection .What ? Well, once you're get used to these lights you don't want to drive a car with dingy miserable halogens if you have to
Yes, Adaptive LEDs are also looking more handsome over standard ones too
      10-18-2017, 02:55 AM   #6
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

G30's LED lights are fantastic, its low beam is better than many car's high beam. It's a real joy to drive during the night.

On the other hand, the adaptive part, I'm not so impressed. It's more of a show off than something really useful. 90% of the time when there are cars in front of you it will just keep the low beam, while in the remaining 10% cases it will try to aim for the holes in traffic and light them up. At the end it is like someone is swinging the light in front of you, most of the times just highlighting the side of the road and not the road itself (since there are other cars on the road, so it focuses outside of the road). I find it even distracting at some moments.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
On the other hand, the adaptive part, I'm not so impressed. It's more of a show off than something really useful. 90% of the time when there are cars in front of you it will just keep the low beam, while in the remaining 10% cases it will try to aim for the holes in traffic and light them up. At the end it is like someone is swinging the light in front of you, most of the times just highlighting the side of the road and not the road itself (since there are other cars on the road, so it focuses outside of the road). I find it even distracting at some moments.
I assume you're referring to the high beam assist function rather than adaptive function which is something else. And from what you've described isn't that how they are supposed to operate?

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #8
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Laki's describing the combined operation of high beam assist and adaptive function.

After lots of driving around in difficult wet dark conditions in the Lake District in the last few weeks, I am also ambivalent about my adaptive LED setup:
- I don't think the quantity and quality of illumination is any better on G30 adaptive LED than it was on F10 adaptive xenon. Brightness certainly doesn't seem any greater, and colour temperature is too high/blue-ish;
- if anything the dispersion pattern on high beam is less even than on F10;
- the cleverness of the adaptive and high beam assist functions ends up being frustrating in many scenarios, and I often end up happier just toggling between dipped and high beam manually*

* 2 examples:
- on a road with hedges/trees, when I'm approaching a corner on full beam, it's useful to manually dip the beam to check for light being thrown towards me round the corner from a car coming the other way. There are probably 20-30 bends like this in the last 3 miles of my journey home;
- when the car auto-dips for a car coming the other way, it takes anything up to 1 second to revert to high beam after that car passes, whereas I would manually switch to high beam instantly.
Appreciate 1
Laki021366.50
      10-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I’m loving the icon adaptive. Yes it’s just software so there will be situations that manual control is better but that is easily achievable by manually controlling it. It’s like cruise control. Yes it’s great but it’s not for 100% of situations.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #10
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Agree with Zig
Had adaptive high beam assist on my F11 and the icon adaptive are in a different league, old lights never worked as I hoped new ones do. Clever tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #11
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I actually think the standard LED looks fine to me, I opted for the icon ones purely on functionality, wanted the adaptive aspect.
i'm pretty sure the standard head lights are adaptive as well. if you look on the list of standard features, it clearly says, "Adaptive LED Headlights".
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/Default.aspx

the ICON option adds high beam assist and full LED lights instead of partial.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #12
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

The clue is in the location of the other posters on this thread
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post
i'm pretty sure the standard head lights are adaptive as well. if you look on the list of standard features, it clearly says, "Adaptive LED Headlights".
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/Default.aspx

the ICON option adds high beam assist and full LED lights instead of partial.
The USA doesn't get full function on the ICON headlights.

Over here, the ICON lights give a selective beam pattern which lights up parts of the road and not others where it sees other vehicles. That last part is not activated on US cars and you guys just get high beam assist on the ICONs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 04:44 AM   #14
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Oh yeah I remember this discrepancy. I’m on the app so couldn’t see locations.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Laki's describing the combined operation of high beam assist and adaptive function.

After lots of driving around in difficult wet dark conditions in the Lake District in the last few weeks, I am also ambivalent about my adaptive LED setup:
- I don't think the quantity and quality of illumination is any better on G30 adaptive LED than it was on F10 adaptive xenon. Brightness certainly doesn't seem any greater, and colour temperature is too high/blue-ish;
- if anything the dispersion pattern on high beam is less even than on F10;
- the cleverness of the adaptive and high beam assist functions ends up being frustrating in many scenarios, and I often end up happier just toggling between dipped and high beam manually*

* 2 examples:
- on a road with hedges/trees, when I'm approaching a corner on full beam, it's useful to manually dip the beam to check for light being thrown towards me round the corner from a car coming the other way. There are probably 20-30 bends like this in the last 3 miles of my journey home;
- when the car auto-dips for a car coming the other way, it takes anything up to 1 second to revert to high beam after that car passes, whereas I would manually switch to high beam instantly.
Precisely!

Except, I do think that LEDs are brighter than Xenon on F10.
Appreciate 0