M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Hood/front facia fitment

10-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Hood/front facia fitment

Hi everyone,
I'm curious how everyones hoods fit. I have a 2017 which is 10 months old. Never hit, always hand washed, never taken apart. Last month I've noticed that the body line where the hood meets the front facia is flat out terrible. The corners match up fine but the right middle(when looking at the car, a few inches to the right of the roundel) either the hood dips or the facia is raised. Looking at the hood and bumper by themselves nothing seems "off" but when I run my hand across the body line it makes me cringe.

I stopped by a dealership and checked out a 2 series on the floor. The fit of the hood to the facia was perfect so I'm curious if anyone else's cars have similar fitment to mine. Is the car settling now that I have about 5k miles on it? It is odd that I haven't noticed before considering I do hand wash the car. I also tried to adjust the little bumpers at each corner but that didn't help.

Another thing I noticed/found was that older 2 series had a rubber bumper/plug mounted just left of center on the metal support which would seem to support the front edge of the hood. Initially, I thought mine got knocked off durning a service or something, but when I found the part number and stopped by the parts counter it was clear that the piece was never installed on my car in the first place(the hole where it fits wasn't punched out). The parts guys told me that often times later into the production cycle some parts are taken out of the design to save costs. This would also explain why the door seals are only on certain cars.

Last edited by M2OG; 10-25-2017 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Mine annoys me every time i look at it, the corners of the bonnet sit too high imo and the same as you i have what can only be described a low spot, albeit mine is to the left side of the roundel.

I've tried adjusting it myself and even spoke to the dealer about it, they are happy to have it to try and adjust it but stating they may have to remove the front bumper and play around with the bonnet adjustment. Pretty sure mine does have a rubber adjustmement plug just off centre as well as one on either side near the bonnet latches. (by the way you can also adjust the latch heights)

I've looked at a few other M2's to compare and most of them i've seen have been similar to mine with the raised ends, not the low spot though. I've noticed LBB and AW it appears to be more noticable, BSM seems to hide any imperfections better.

Last edited by Prodigy.; 10-25-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00
      10-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Tomorrow I'm going to take the rubber gasket off, pull all the bolts and see if I can reseat the bumper better. I'll post if I manage to make it fit better.

Regarding the latches, yes. I tried that too. Didn't help.
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.698.50
      10-26-2017, 02:12 AM   #4
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to take the rubber gasket off, pull all the bolts and see if I can reseat the bumper better. I'll post if I manage to make it fit better.

Regarding the latches, yes. I tried that too. Didn't help.
I've tried that and moved the bumper up a touch, helped slightly with my bonnet corner gaps but didn't seem make any noticable difference with my low spot. Am keen to hear how you go though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I've tried that and moved the bumper up a touch, helped slightly with my bonnet corner gaps but didn't seem make any noticable difference with my low spot. Am keen to hear how you go though.
I removed all the bolts and managed to suck the entire facia back towards the hood which helped the low spot a little bit but also exaggerated the corners. It did make the body gap much smaller which I do like.

In hindsight I would try this... loosen the bolts only where the low spot is and push the bumper down in that area while tightening the bolts back down. This should distort the bumper a bit but in a good way which will make the high spot negligible. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

be4 and after

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 1
rouxeny241.00
      10-27-2017, 03:04 AM   #7
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Photos are worthless because you need to run your fingers across the panel gap to feel where the dip is.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #8
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
I removed all the bolts and managed to suck the entire facia back towards the hood which helped the low spot a little bit but also exaggerated the corners. It did make the body gap much smaller which I do like.

In hindsight I would try this... loosen the bolts only where the low spot is and push the bumper down in that area while tightening the bolts back down. This should distort the bumper a bit but in a good way which will make the high spot negligible. Does that make sense?
Yeah I might give it another go but i don't think it will make a difference unfortunately, I've learnt to live with it and tbh I've never had anyone comment on it unless I've pointed it out so it's obviously not that noticable to others.
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00