F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F32 M Sport alignment issue
Studio RSR

11-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
jonflores1982
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Xdrive M Sport

F32 M Sport alignment issue

So I have a 2014 BMW F32 M Sport. I was driving around and hit a sidewalk curb going about 15-20 MPH. I managed to bang up my front left wheel and although tire didn't pop had to replace. I had the wheel balanced and all while getting a new tire however while driving the car I noticed it was pulling the opposite way towards the right. My buddy has a shop so took it him for alignment, he tried to align the best he could to specs but he is telling me these vehicles do not have camber adjustments. The right wheel camber is -0.8 which is within spec but the left wheel camber is now -2.6
So my question is how can I get this fixed? Did a bend a strut maybe? any feedback would be greatly appreciated......
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Bent something, probably damaged top mount, fixable by replacing it or get a hub housing that increases or decreases camber.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
jonflores1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
Bent something, probably damaged top mount, fixable by replacing it or get a hub housing that increases or decreases camber.
I read another thread and saw someone had bent the top housing but I looked at mine and seems fine. I don’t see any parts that look aparently bend at all. I did see the the camber adjustment plate but also saw they were like $600-$700. I would like to know what but s causing this though in case there’s something that needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Very possible you bent a control arm, busted a bearing, maybe your shock too... 15mph into a curb is a doozy.

You'll want to get that inspected, soon. -2.6 camber is one thing, your handling will be affected, but if your toe or caster is too out of wack you'll be buying another tire very very soon. Since there is no camber adjustment, it is safe to assume at least one component was "adjusted" by the impact. You said your top hat looked okay, so next option is to have a tech take a real close look at your hub assembly. Everything may be tight still, which could mean your bearings are okay, but bends can be hard to detect. Just keep in mind, even a few millimeters of adjustment to a single arm's geometry can produce a dramatic change in alignment.

Did you have your wheel inspected for cracks or bends? OE wheels are very malleable.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
jonflores1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Very possible you bent a control arm, busted a bearing, maybe your shock too... 15mph into a curb is a doozy.

You'll want to get that inspected, soon. -2.6 camber is one thing, your handling will be affected, but if your toe or caster is too out of wack you'll be buying another tire very very soon. Since there is no camber adjustment, it is safe to assume at least one component was "adjusted" by the impact. You said your top hat looked okay, so next option is to have a tech take a real close look at your hub assembly. Everything may be tight still, which could mean your bearings are okay, but bends can be hard to detect. Just keep in mind, even a few millimeters of adjustment to a single arm's geometry can produce a dramatic change in alignment.

Did you have your wheel inspected for cracks or bends? OE wheels are very malleable.

Yes I need to get this inspected but I wanted to get some feedback so I don’t go in blinded and get ripped off. I don’t drive this vehicle very much so it sits in my garage for the most part.

While I took the car for alignment they did check and adjust toe and caster as it was off a bit too...

I also checked height on both sides and no change there. I guess I just need to take it and have someone inspect it well. I would have never thought hitting a curb would cause suspension damage.

I am currently running 19” 359M wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport tires .
Appreciate 0