BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Standard suspension vs Dynamic Damper Control

01-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Standard suspension vs Dynamic Damper Control

For those of you who have driven the G30 with the standard suspension as well as one with Dynamic Damper Control, how different is the ride quality both set in comfort. Is there a HUGE difference between them or very slight?
      01-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I haven't driven both but I would suggest driving yourself as only you can decide what you prefer.
Many threads on the subject and the problem is we can't measure the suspension. Everyone will have a different view on what is best for them and we will all describe the same thing differently.
So if possible suggest you get a test drive in both and hopefully with the same size wheels and type of tyre as that could also influence the result.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I haven't driven both but I would suggest driving yourself as only you can decide what you prefer.
Another problem with evaluating via testimony is that anyone who ponied up for the suspension options will defend his purchase.

I located a rare DHP equipped 540i to test drive in Florida and found the differences rather subtle on my typical slog through smooth flat suburban roads. Maybe if I lived somewhere with frost-heaved roads or twisty back roads the advantages would become more apparent. The extra cost, added weight, higher ride height (compared to MSport), and added complexity were lost on me. At least in Florida I feel like it's more of a thing for people who just have to have all of the toys. But had I ordered it I am sure I would defend that decision, too.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

I've tested all three. Standard suspension, Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) with Adaptive Drive, and M-Sport Suspension. I tested all three before I got my 540i. I didn't notice too much of a ride quality difference between Standard and DDC. I did notice more of a difference with the M-Sport of course being firmer but not a dramatic difference.

I got my 540i with the standard suspension for the simple reason that it was a $3,500 option and also prefer to drive my car in comfort all the time as I favor more of a refined ride. I couldn't justify spending the money when I know I won't ever be switching it into sport just to make it ride slightly firmer.
      01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
Another problem with evaluating via testimony is that anyone who ponied up for the suspension options will defend his purchase.
I have no idea what you mean...

... adaptive drive rules!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
As everyone else has said before, this is a very subjective area. As an example, I went with EDC as I had to balance my needs and my partners. I like the sports suspension setting whereas my partner prefers comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
The Dynamic Handling Package, with its active roll bars and suspension control, is a significant improvement on the 540i if you like a more sporty (but not rough) feel. I felt like it significantly reduced "wallow" in even moderately spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
I've tested all three. Standard suspension, Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) with Adaptive Drive, and M-Sport Suspension. I tested all three before I got my 540i. I didn't notice too much of a ride quality difference between Standard and DDC. I did notice more of a difference with the M-Sport of course being firmer but not a dramatic difference.

I got my 540i with the standard suspension for the simple reason that it was a $3,500 option and also prefer to drive my car in comfort all the time as I favor more of a refined ride. I couldn't justify spending the money when I know I won't ever be switching it into sport just to make it ride slightly firmer.
I agree. I drove a standard car for 10 months now I have one with the same wheels and tyres but with EDC. I think the standard car rode better. Save your money. I wish I had.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I've driven all suspensions and went with M-Sport Passive.

Dynamic Dampers on F10 was a disappointment and i promised myself not to get it again. On G30 however, dynamic suspension its definitely more refined and closer to M-SPORT.

I'd suggest go drive all and go with one that fits your taste and needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #10
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Just completed my first long journey over a very mixed bag of road surfaces in my new EDC equipped G30. It has the same wheels and tyres as my previous G30 (17'' non runflats) - only difference is the EDC. I honestly believe that the non-EDC car rode better with possibly less roll in corners. You feel too much of the road surface in this car and especially at lower speeds it tends to fidget a fair bit. You are a lot more aware of the quality, or lack thereof, of the road surface in the EDC equipped car. In conclusion, don't waste your money.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Just completed my first long journey over a very mixed bag of road surfaces in my new EDC equipped G30.
What driving mode were you in for that trip? Adaptive/Sport/etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
Quote:
Just completed my first long journey over a very mixed bag of road surfaces in my new EDC equipped G30.
What driving mode were you in for that trip? Adaptive/Sport/etc.?
Always in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Always in comfort.
Always in Comfort..................... you did yourself a favor NOT going Adaptive.
I never drive Comfort unless in Towns, so Adaptive it is.
Way better.
      01-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Just completed my first long journey over a very mixed bag of road surfaces in my new EDC equipped G30. It has the same wheels and tyres as my previous G30 (17'' non runflats) - only difference is the EDC. I honestly believe that the non-EDC car rode better with possibly less roll in corners. You feel too much of the road surface in this car and especially at lower speeds it tends to fidget a fair bit. You are a lot more aware of the quality, or lack thereof, of the road surface in the EDC equipped car. In conclusion, don't waste your money.
You are virtually saying the opposite of WhatCar's comments.

Quote:
BMW 5 Series ride comfort

The way the BMW 5 Series rides depends largely on whether you go for the standard suspension, the stiffer M Sport version, or do what we’d suggest and tick the box for the optional adaptive set-up, called Variable Damper Control (VDC). This isn’t cheap, but it's definitely worth the extra.

Without it, the 5 Series is supple enough over big bumps around town, but there’s always an underlying shimmy through the car on anything other than super-smooth roads, particularly if you opt for 19in alloys, M Sport suspension or run-flat tyres. If you do lots of motorway miles, you’ll probably find this quite annoying.

Cars with VDC are even more forgiving at low speeds, and they ride in a much more sophisticated fashion along pockmarked British A-roads and motorways – especially if you press the Comfort button next to the gearlever. And the good news is the settings are the same whether you opt for SE or M Sport trim. In fact, few cars in any price bracket ride better. Still, even with the VDC suspension (which is also included as part of the Adaptive Drive option) it’s best to steer clear of really big alloys or run-flat tyres.....
What does it ride like using the Adaptive mode? That's the mode I'm most interested in hearing experience of. I imagine it is more like the mid setting in the F10/11 VDC. I expect it to be better in following the BMW thinking of "soft where possible, firm when necessary". I'd expect it to firm up when cornering, or when conditions dictate, to keep the body in check.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

What does it ride like using the Adaptive mode? That's the mode I'm most interested in hearing experience of. I imagine it is more like the mid setting in the F10/11 VDC. I expect it to be better in following the BMW thinking of "soft where possible, firm when necessary". I'd expect it to firm up when cornering, or when conditions dictate, to keep the body in check.
I get my 540i in March with Adaptive Drive I give you the Heads up when I test it out.
      01-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Quote:
Apparently it reacts to driving style, the conditions (presumably road surface, steering wheel angle, speed, etc.) and the SatNav, setting itself up for upcoming bends. Very impressive if so!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I get my 540i in March with Adaptive Drive I give you the Heads up when I test it out.
Did you get a chance to test drive the latest G30 AD before ordering?

Didn't you have AD in one of the F10 models? If so, I'm sure we will read a comparison comment or two in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post
Apparently it reacts to driving style, the conditions (presumably road surface, steering wheel angle, speed, etc.) and the SatNav, setting itself up for upcoming bends. Very impressive if so!
Yes that's my understanding, so may well improve on Comfort mode, over variable road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you get a chance to test drive the latest G30 AD before ordering?

Didn't you have AD in one of the F10 models? If so, I'm sure we will read a comparison comment or two in the future.
Did not have Adaptive on the F10's but have test driven G30 540i with it at Listers BMW, I liked the way it kept the car level on sharp bends at speed, and "Adapted" to the road type I was on, Impressive.
      01-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Did not have Adaptive on the F10's but have test driven G30 540i with it at Listers BMW, I liked the way it kept the car level on sharp bends at speed, and "Adapted" to the road type I was on, Impressive.
AD is brilliant in the F10/11, hoping for even better in the G30/31.

Had a cousin in my car a few weeks back, who was amazed at the way AD corners, (he has a long history of bigger cars and drives fast). Commented on the speeds we were cornering, without the feeling we were in an F11 sized car. "Too flat for a soft(ish) riding car".
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm interested in what adaptive mode is on a more technical level.
It's stated that it adapts based upon what is happening, fair enough.
but does it simply switch between ecopro , comfort and sport modes or is it seamless between the extremes of those modes?

Must admit I haven't used it much, perhaps I should do!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #22
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
BMW 5 Series ride comfort

The way the BMW 5 Series rides depends largely on whether you go for the standard suspension, the stiffer M Sport version, or do what weÂ’d suggest and tick the box for the optional adaptive set-up, called Variable Damper Control (VDC). This isnÂ’t cheap, but it's definitely worth the extra.

Without it, the 5 Series is supple enough over big bumps around town, but thereÂ’s always an underlying shimmy through the car on anything other than super-smooth roads, particularly if you opt for 19in alloys, M Sport suspension or run-flat tyres. If you do lots of motorway miles, youÂ’ll probably find this quite annoying.

Cars with VDC are even more forgiving at low speeds, and they ride in a much more sophisticated fashion along pockmarked British A-roads and motorways – especially if you press the Comfort button next to the gearlever. And the good news is the settings are the same whether you opt for SE or M Sport trim. In fact, few cars in any price bracket ride better. Still, even with the VDC suspension (which is also included as part of the Adaptive Drive option) it’s best to steer clear of really big alloys or run-flat tyres.....
I know I'm saying the opposite of What Car and other mags said. It was on the strength of their reviews that I ordered the VDC. That was a mistake! I wonder if What Car actually tested a non-VDC car to make the comparison.
Re the adaptive mode I found that it made the ride harsher and more jittery still. Comfort is by far the most tolerable of the three modes.
Appreciate 0