E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 No Coolant (HELP!!!)

01-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

N54 No Coolant (HELP!!!)

Ok so I was driving home from my girlfriends house today, not more than a 15 minute drive tops. A minute or so after I left her house the low coolant symbol popped up. Didn't really think much of it, I hadn't added coolant in awhile and it was a short drive so I was gonna too ip when I got home. Well I got home and put my car on ramps so I could look for leaks. Checked all the hoses no leaks or anything so I look at the Drain Plug for the radiator.....IT WAS GONE!!! I drove my car for I don't know 12-15 minutes without coolant In it. The Oil temp gauge did go up a little quicker than normal but never got above 200 (Again it was a short drive) do I need to be worried about whether or not I may have warped my cylinder head/blew my head gasket? The dealer won't have the part till Wednesday so I can't start the car or anything until then. I was going to run out to Harbor freight to get a compression tester so I could test my head but do you think it's necessary because of how short a drive was and the fact that the oil never got over 200? The car also never whent into limp mode and the coolant warnings other than low coolant never popped up. And help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

1. Replace drain plug
2. Fill with coolant
3. "Burp" system
4. Continue on with life
Appreciate 4
RSL648.00
Nebo16.50
feuer4277.00
puppydax146.50
      01-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
1. Replace drain plug
2. Fill with coolant
3. "Burp" system
4. Continue on with life
Thank you for the response. Do you think there was any permanent damage?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is the way I'm looking at it right now (until I get the chance to test it) On normal highway drives in the summer I normally see 220-230 oil temps and people who track there cars see upwards of 250-260 degrees. My oil temp gauge only ever got to 200. Am I crazy in assuming that nothing bad would have happened?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

my old n54 began to dump coolant out less than about 10 mins and 2miles away from where I turned it off after a clamp (1 day after thermo/WP install by indy) broke. Oil temp went to 265. Water never went red. It was about 1 yr ago and its still running fine with new owner - 135K miles.

I would do an oil sample or two. Depending on age and other $ you got in it.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
my old n54 began to dump coolant out less than about 10 mins and 2miles away from where I turned it off after a clamp (1 day after thermo/WP install by indy) broke. Oil temp went to 265. Water never went red. It was about 1 yr ago and its still running fine with new owner - 135K miles.
This makes me feel a lot better about my situation cause my oil only got to 200 but still a bit nervous. Did you run any tests after or did it just run fine so you didn't even bother?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYEGUY View Post
This makes me feel a lot better about my situation cause my oil only got to 200 but still a bit nervous. Did you run any tests after or did it just run fine so you didn't even bother?
Nope, started looking for a replacement. It had been using oil and I didnt want to know what the coolant dump was gonna do. The new owner has since found a loose block fitting and it doesnt use any oil according to what he said. Sounds normal on cold starts and warm.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
Louee_90
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SDN

Quote:
Ok so I was driving home from my girlfriends house today, not more than a 15 minute drive tops. A minute or so after I left her house the low coolant symbol popped up. Didn't really think much of it, I hadn't added coolant in awhile and it was a short drive so I was gonna too ip when I got home. Well I got home and put my car on ramps so I could look for leaks. Checked all the hoses no leaks or anything so I look at the Drain Plug for the radiator.....IT WAS GONE!!! I drove my car for I don't know 12-15 minutes without coolant In it. The Oil temp gauge did go up a little quicker than normal but never got above 200 (Again it was a short drive) do I need to be worried about whether or not I may have warped my cylinder head/blew my head gasket? The dealer won't have the part till Wednesday so I can't start the car or anything until then. I was going to run out to Harbor freight to get a compression tester so I could test my head but do you think it's necessary because of how short a drive was and the fact that the oil never got over 200? The car also never whent into limp mode and the coolant warnings other than low coolant never popped up. And help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
I think you should be perfectly fine, i drove my car all the way home one day when my water pump gave out, and its doing perfectly fine still now push it to its limits all the time and no problems but maintainance and usual n54 issues. Since it might still bug you in the back of your head yes get a sample, or even compression test if necessary. But you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louee_90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think you should be perfectly fine, i drove my car all the way home one day when my water pump gave out, and its doing perfectly fine still now push it to its limits all the time and no problems but maintainance and usual n54 issues. Since it might still bug you in the back of your head yes get a sample, or even compression test if necessary. But you should be fine
How far was the drive. Might actually sleep tonight thanks to you
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
Louee_90
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SDN

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louee_90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How far was the drive. Might actually sleep tonight thanks to you
It was no more than a 15 min drive. Pretty much same as you. Worst thong was my situation was since pump wasnt working i had to stop midway to cool down before I got home. And my car was still fine. I know that sounds horrible and I will definitely not do that again but my car has been fine ever since. lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
lukasB
God
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

Your engine will be fine but your water pump might be toasted after that much of running dry
Appreciate 0