BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Collision Mitigation question

I have all of the safety features turned on and am wondering how/what I should expect with regard to the warnings and how the auto braking will react.
I have had the X3 parked in the garage waiting (impatiently) for me to have time to do a full detail and the ceramic coating however last night I could not stand it any longer and had to take her out for a spin. I had two occasions where a vehicle in front of me braked very quickly and I expected some kind of warning or braking from the X3 but there was nothing. I currently drive a loaded Ford Escape that has a HUD to warn you of a possible collision (no braking though) so I was expecting something similar along with the possibility of some application of brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
MrScott
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50/2019 X3 M40i

Euro NCAP has a video showing their tests of collision mitigation. Starts around 2 minutes:

Seems to work very well!
      02-05-2018, 02:47 AM   #3
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I have all of the safety features turned on and am wondering how/what I should expect with regard to the warnings and how the auto braking will react.
I have had the X3 parked in the garage waiting (impatiently) for me to have time to do a full detail and the ceramic coating however last night I could not stand it any longer and had to take her out for a spin. I had two occasions where a vehicle in front of me braked very quickly and I expected some kind of warning or braking from the X3 but there was nothing. I currently drive a loaded Ford Escape that has a HUD to warn you of a possible collision (no braking though) so I was expecting something similar along with the possibility of some application of brakes.
Try the stop and go active cruise first to get yourself used the auto braking. It's there, and works great. I have not tried a panic stop other than what I have experienced in erratic stop and go freeway driving. Wish I had one of those dummy rear end props to test it with.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Mine did an emergency braking once when a car ahead was making a right hand turn and I wasn't slowing down because it looked like the car would be out of the way by the time I reach the intersection.
Caught me by surprise
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Mine did an emergency braking once when a car ahead was making a right hand turn and I wasn't slowing down because it looked like the car would be out of the way by the time I reach the intersection.
Caught me by surprise
The adaptive cruise on my F34 would sometimes come on in the circumstance that voyagergab described. In my X3 I have had it come on parking in a narrow irregular garage space. It is disconcerting. I got out, looked around and determined that it was safe to continue. It may be a little sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 and G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I got the red warning light to work once but not the braking feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
pskdude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3m40i

Garage List
For some reason i thought mine was broken at first, until i was under a scenario some guy in front of me braked really quickly and caught me off guard. It works...=P
Appreciate 1
focker156.00
      02-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Maybe I can find a blow up doll from someone's bachelor party and give it a pedestrian test
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Maybe I can find a blow up doll from someone's bachelor party and give it a pedestrian test
Yeah "maybe you can find one".
Appreciate 2
strike4A513.00
JSY578.00
      02-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
There are like 3 different kinds of the red car warning - first is that it will just light up, which would mean that you're getting a bit close to the car. The second is it blinking and beeping, which means that it's thinks that you may have an impact. The third is all blinking, beeping, and starting to brake, which it does if it feels that collision is near imminent. If you haven't experienced each one, you will eventually. If it hasn't happened yet, then it probably felt that your own braking and alertness was enough.

It's weird - sometimes you think it would go on, and it won't. It would reserve the braking for instances where it really thinks that you could hit something in front of you.

I posted a video a while back of the braking working in my 2015 X3 and around the 15 second mark, you can hear the beep and the brakes braking (which also was mitigated with my foot on the brake as well - you can actually feel the brake pedal start to go down before you actually even brake). Excuse the loud music.

But if you look at the video, you do get the feeling that you might hit that car in front of you...

Appreciate 2
focker156.00
edcrane102.00
      02-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
There are like 3 different kinds of the red car warning - first is that it will just light up, which would mean that you're getting a bit close to the car. The second is it blinking and beeping, which means that it's thinks that you may have an impact. The third is all blinking, beeping, and starting to brake, which it does if it feels that collision is near imminent. If you haven't experienced each one, you will eventually. If it hasn't happened yet, then it probably felt that your own braking and alertness was enough.

It's weird - sometimes you think it would go on, and it won't. It would reserve the braking for instances where it really thinks that you could hit something in front of you.

I posted a video a while back of the braking working in my 2015 X3 and around the 15 second mark, you can hear the beep and the brakes braking (which also was mitigated with my foot on the brake as well - you can actually feel the brake pedal start to go down before you actually even brake). Excuse the loud music.

But if you look at the video, you do get the feeling that you might hit that car in front of you...

Thanks for explaining this. I saw the red “stage one” activate a couple of times and wondered why there was no audio signal. Good to know that there is an audio signal if you get too close.
Appreciate 1
JSY578.00
      02-06-2018, 11:56 PM   #12
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
JSY after watching your video this link came up in the Youtube screen and was nice to give a little information:
Appreciate 1
JSY578.00