BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

WiFi w/o wireless charging?

My wife and her sister just returned from a 1000 mile trip. Of course her sister was the co-pilot and handled the social media, etc. She just got home and asked “does our car have WiFi?” Apparently her sister kept seeing it as one of the WiFi connect options on her phone.

Wireless Charging was not on our option list although CarPlay was.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
My wife and her sister just returned from a 1000 mile trip. Of course her sister was the co-pilot and handled the social media, etc. She just got home and asked “does our car have WiFi?” Apparently her sister kept seeing it as one of the WiFi connect options on her phone.

Wireless Charging was not on our option list although CarPlay was.
If you have wireless CarPlay, then the car must have WiFi; that's a requirement for wireless CarPlay implementation (which uses both bluetooth and wifi to connect). Not sure if that would give you WiFi hotspot function / ability to connect to it.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
If you have wireless CarPlay, then the car must have WiFi; that's a requirement for wireless CarPlay implementation (which uses both bluetooth and wifi to connect). Not sure if that would give you WiFi hotspot function / ability to connect to it.
Thanks I’ll see what’s up with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I think this is the answer.
I don't have WiFi hotspot option in my car, but I always see 'BMWxxxxx' as one of the WiFi connections.
I've never tried to actually connect to it, but now I see why it's there - my car does have Apple Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX3DRIVER View Post
I think this is the answer.
I don't have WiFi hotspot option in my car, but I always see 'BMWxxxxx' as one of the WiFi connections.
I've never tried to actually connect to it, but now I see why it's there - my car does have Apple Carplay.
That’s still the question basically. So the apparatus is there obviously, but can we use it? I have issues with Apple vs Google. I love that I can vocally ask or tell my Android phone basically anything, and it understands me. Siri either says “whaaaa?”, or says something stupid in response. I give it another try with each new IOS (we have a couple of iPads) but it’s so frustrating, I regress to calling it names. Ironically Apple seems to have programmed responses to that!
Even with all their money they are looking at tremendous time expenditure to ever catch up with Google in the AI area. The task must be so daunting to them it seems they are not trying.

They found a loaded car for us, unfortunately it had Apple instead of the hot spot/wireless charging option.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 02-07-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0