BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

How to add DIY side cargo tie-down points

As the G01 doesn’t provide side tie-down points for securing items when using cargo mats (which cover the rails), I came up with a DIY method which anyone can make regardless of whether they do or don’t have the spare tire ledge. My goals: do not cause permanent alterations to the vehicle; make sure it is lightweight yet strong; blend with the cargo area and not interfere with volume; be easily removed to allow access to sub-flooring supplies or spare; make it inexpensive; and design it so others can produce without too much effort.

Enclosed is a list of the materials, their cost, and how I made our version with photos included.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 03-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Changed Title
Appreciate 5
arciga181732.50
ando2006.00
yllwwgn170.00
      02-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Nice! Maybe it´s worth mentioning, that it will work this way only when the rails are present. That is not a standard option worldwide. Still is this DIY inspiring! Good job!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      02-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 and G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Another great project. Well done!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      02-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Nice! Maybe it´s worth mentioning, that it will work this way only when the rails are present. That is not a standard option worldwide. Still is this DIY inspiring! Good job!
Thanks, titomi. No, this will work whether the rails are there or not. That was one of the key requirements I set forth for myself when trying to figure this out, as I wanted everyone to be able to use it regardless of their cargo hold options (rail vs no rail, spare tire vs no spare tire). As long as the surface is flat and our side dimensions are the same (which I thought they were in every model), it should work.

I mention drilling the holes 1" from the angle only in case someone wished to figure out a way to secure to the track (in which case you probably wouldn't even need the cross bars and you could use very short pieces of webbing as they would be held down tight by those angle bar-track attachments). This is fully self-contained as can be seen on my countertop, then you just lay the straps and frame in the cargo area with the straps underneath and place the cargo mat on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Another great project. Well done!
Many thanks, ando!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
Nice work Max Well.

Here's a possible solution for anchoring the DIY rails to the bed rail.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...?product=14867

Use this bolt, or something similar, with a wide enough head to anchor under the bed rail, and the shaft pointing up through the DIY rail (and optionally through the DIY cross rails), and nut to secure it all together. The linked bolt is 1" wide head, with a 1/4" shaft and 3/4" length. If it's too long, put some washers on the underside of the bed rail. There appears to be enough depth in the bed rail channel to accommodate 1/4" of washer height.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      03-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude2018 View Post
Nice work Max Well. Here's a possible solution for anchoring the DIY rails to the bed rail...
Thanks, BMWDude2018. Since my goal was to produce a universal method which could be used by all (regardless of tracks or spare tire), I didn't focus as much on securing to the rails. But for those with the tracks who can accomplish what you're suggesting - it would reduce the need for the cross bars and the length of webbing needed for sure.

I will admit to buying some 1/4"-20 x 3/4" stainless steel bolts, nuts, and assorted washers just to see how it would work. Two problems came up for me when I tried to use those, though. Because there is a type of ratcheting system along the rail I couldn't slide my bolt and washers to where I needed them to be. The sliding attachment that comes with the rail system has a spring-loaded tab that pushes down deeper into track then raises back up to lock into place. My regular size bolt-heads and washer were too thick to allow for that, but your thinner bolt head might bypass that issue. The second issue was how to support the bolt from underneath so it doesn't fall down into the track when my holes closest to the edge were 3" away. If one were to drill the holes only 3/4" or so from the angled bar's edge then one's finger could easily support, and you'd only need two holes to firmly secure (not the one in the center). I couldn't figure out how to not only hold them up against the track as I placed the angled bar on top but also to then secure the bolt so it wouldn't spin as I tried to screw the nut on. Having the bar's hole right near the edge would negate that issue.

Would be interested in seeing other's final designs and installations if pursued.
Appreciate 1
ando2006.00
      03-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
My thought on installation is that it would be tricky to get the bolts in.

Here's one way it could be done (in my mind's eye at least, accounting for the fact that I haven't actually looked at the bed rail system that close to see if there are objects in the way or the like):
1) put a bolt upside down in the bed rail
2) thread it up through the DIY rail
3) thread on the nut, but don't tighten
4) slide the bolt/nut/DIY rail toward the front of the cabin
5) put a second bolt upside down in the bed rail
6) and maneuver the bolt/nut/DIY rail to align, then thread on the nut

You probably can't use 3 bolts for this system, but probably wouldn't need to use more than two bolts anyway. Also, you probably couldn't use the cross rails and the DIY rails need to be able to swing so you can put the 2nd bolt in the channel.

You could also use strong magnets to pull the bolt up for positioning. Or tape or string. some tooth floss would work. Wrap the floss around the bolt's threads, then string the floss through the hole in the DIY rail. Start the nut, then cut the floss.

Just musing here to avoid starting the work day...
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      03-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Max your attention to detail makes my OCD brain seem like I'm totally scatterbrained... I appreciate your super thorough approach!

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude2018 View Post
My thought on installation is that it would be tricky to get the bolts in...

4) slide the bolt/nut/DIY rail toward the front of the cabin...

You probably can't use 3 bolts for this system, but probably wouldn't need to use more than two bolts anyway. Also, you probably couldn't use the cross rails...
That was the hardest part for me (getting the bolts in), which is why I gave up and returned the unopened packages of nuts and bolts.

Number 4 is going to be the most difficult unless you can find a thin enough bolt head which is still wide enough to span the gap. I couldn't get mine to slide because of the rail ratcheting system.

Agree that you would only need two bolts for holding to the track. And you definitely don't want to use the cross rails with a bolted down system as you then won't be able to access the sub-flooring compartment (for your storage or spare tire), unless dis-assembling. The main reason I had to use the cross-struts was to provide lateral support since I'm not tied down to anything.

But if someone with track system can figure out the two bolts, all you would need is the angle bar (and may want to make it long enough to be just near the wider openings in the tracks front and back where you can insert the sliding attachment which comes with the X3, as easier to fit your finger there to hold the bolt while screwing on the nut) and the attachment straps.

One thought on the latter, considering BMW's M-performance colors, would be to just buy three dog collars (red, dark blue, and light blue), cut them in half, and you're all set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

just kidding! that is awesome example of DIYmanship.

I guess just trimming back the cargo mat and adding another set of anchors was not an option? are we able to buy another set of anchors?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post

just kidding! that is awesome example of DIYmanship.

I guess just trimming back the cargo mat and adding another set of anchors was not an option? are we able to buy another set of anchors?
Quite a number of reasons why I pursued this project, Casotakar. Having owned four X3s since 2011, and using them for their stated titles as 'Activity/Utility' vehicles, it has been difficult to use the rails with their sliding attachment points when using cargo mats. I've never wished to trim those to expose the rails considering the dirty, muddy, and occ wet materials I transport, for even with tarps in place invariably sand and water finds a way down to the cargo floor. And my compulsive side doesn't like when that happens.

Many have said I should just get a pick-up. I don't want a pick-up, or a third car just for hauling these materials. I want the flexibility of having a workhorse during the day, and a spirited high-performer on a weekend, and a luxury ride to drop off to a valet for an evening show if I wish, all in one. And I can do that with the X3, especially now with the G01 which significantly improves upon the latter two qualities. At the end of the day I pull out the tarp and cargo mat, give her a wash, and I'm good to go.

So I set out to design an easily removable, lightweight, inexpensive, easy-to-make DIY method for providing those of us who need to use mats a way of securing our cargo items so they don't roll around during braking, accelerating, and turning. And since not everyone has the rails as an option (esp now with the spare tire which also removes them), I wanted a method which would work well for everybody, even those with just a carpeted cargo floor.

This project does that.

What BMWDude2018 proposed was for those who do have the optioned rails, as another design which would just require the two angle bars, a few cut-up dog collars if one doesn't know how to stitch the clips as I did, and a way to tighten bolts with nuts onto a portion of the track system (while not damaging the tracks) to hold the attachment points in place (the 1/2 dog collar portions which would be held between the bar and the track once tightened). And since the anchors (I assume you mean the sliding ones that come with the optioned track system) can remain (you can see our two in the photo set showing them butting up against the bars during the design and building phase), nothing changes. Personally I would prefer not using the bolt method, especially since the construct I showed lifts out in just a few seconds, and if one ever wishes to break it down completely one can just cut the plastic ties, then place new ones back on when needed again. But others may find that easier and quicker to make work.

Long-winded explanation but your question is a valid one and deserved a reasoned reply. For many who use their SAVs to transport only groceries or clean boxes and who don't need a mat (and have the optioned rails), then the sliding attachment points probably work fine. But as I think I mentioned in a post somewhere, we have never once used the rail system in seven years of X3 ownership, and frankly never will. And I still hope BMW offers the high-sided heavy duty cargo mat again for the G01 as these provide even more protection for those of us with loads needing such. And while they are at it, if they can allow it to extend to cover the back seats for longer dirty loads that would be even better. Had that been available I wouldn't have had to waste time cleaning the boxes we transported last week from the hardware store I show in the picture, but since they were covered in a thick layer of dust I didn't want that mess on our seat backs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quite a number of reasons why I pursued this project, Casotakar. Having owned four X3s since 2011, and using them for their stated titles as 'Activity/Utility' vehicles, it has been difficult to use the rails with their sliding attachment points when using cargo mats. I've never wished to trim those to expose the rails considering the dirty, muddy, and occ wet materials I transport, for even with tarps in place invariably sand and water finds a way down to the cargo floor. And my compulsive side doesn't like when that happens.

Many have said I should just get a pick-up. I don't want a pick-up, or a third car just for hauling these materials. I want the flexibility of having a workhorse during the day, and a spirited high-performer on a weekend, and a luxury ride to drop off to a valet for an evening show if I wish, all in one. And I can do that with the X3, especially now with the G01 which significantly improves upon the latter two qualities. At the end of the day I pull out the tarp and cargo mat, give her a wash, and I'm good to go.

So I set out to design an easily removable, lightweight, inexpensive, easy-to-make DIY method for providing those of us who need to use mats a way of securing our cargo items so they don't roll around during braking, accelerating, and turning. And since not everyone has the rails as an option (esp now with the spare tire which also removes them), I wanted a method which would work well for everybody, even those with just a carpeted cargo floor.

This project does that.

What BMWDude2018 proposed was for those who do have the optioned rails, as another design which would just require the two angle bars, a few cut-up dog collars if one doesn't know how to stitch the clips as I did, and a way to tighten bolts with nuts onto a portion of the track system (while not damaging the tracks) to hold the attachment points in place (the 1/2 dog collar portions which would be held between the bar and the track once tightened). And since the anchors (I assume you mean the sliding ones that come with the optioned track system) can remain (you can see our two in the photo set showing them butting up against the bars during the design and building phase), nothing changes. Personally I would prefer not using the bolt method, especially since the construct I showed lifts out in just a few seconds, and if one ever wishes to break it down completely one can just cut the plastic ties, then place new ones back on when needed again. But others may find that easier and quicker to make work.

Long-winded explanation but your question is a valid one and deserved a reasoned reply. For many who use their SAVs to transport only groceries or clean boxes and who don't need a mat (and have the optioned rails), then the sliding attachment points probably work fine. But as I think I mentioned in a post somewhere, we have never once used the rail system in seven years of X3 ownership, and frankly never will. And I still hope BMW offers the high-sided heavy duty cargo mat again for the G01 as these provide even more protection for those of us with loads needing such. And while they are at it, if they can allow it to extend to cover the back seats for longer dirty loads that would be even better. Had that been available I wouldn't have had to waste time cleaning the boxes we transported last week from the hardware store I show in the picture, but since they were covered in a thick layer of dust I didn't want that mess on our seat backs.
completely fair explanation. from the pictures I totally understand now why you require more utilization than the average user of this vehicles SAV abilities! I've never thought about putting boulders in the back of my x3...but I love to know that it is being done...

I guess if the cargo mat were to allow exposure of the slide rails and additional anchors were provided, it would be just fine for my mission. I'm going to wait for the release of weather techs cargo mat that will leave exposed the slide rails and look at another set of anchors....and if that doesn't work then this DIY will be waiting here thanks to you!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4806.50
      03-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

As we're using the tie-down points a lot now we need the bungee cords handy, but didn't care for the look of them bunched off to the side. Since I still had some good leather left I made a quick pair of leather sacks to hold them. This was really easy - no real measuring except to make sure the base was about 7", then everything was free-hand, including punching the holes for the thread and for the leather draw strips at the top.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0