E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Automatic Service Reminder (Stupid Question?)

06-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
328Toronto
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Question Automatic Service Reminder (Stupid Question?)

this might be a stupid question, but i would still appreciate your feedback:

on the BMW website it says: The maintenance schedule intervals are determined by the BMW Service Indicator on the check control panel in the dashboard of the vehicle

i was under the impression that this would be true for BOTH time AND mileage. in other words: if i reach/pass the recommended TIME period between services (or the 1st service 1 yr in this case) the computer should tell me to bring in the car even though my mileage might be lower, right? .....

my BMW rep tell me that the dashboard reminder ONLY works if you reach a certain MILEAGE point. He says there is "no way the computer can tell" me when it's TIME to bring in the car ...

I can't believe a BMW computer would be that basic .. am I missing something here?
      06-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328Toronto View Post
this might be a stupid question, but i would still appreciate your feedback:

on the BMW website it says: The maintenance schedule intervals are determined by the BMW Service Indicator on the check control panel in the dashboard of the vehicle

i was under the impression that this would be true for BOTH time AND mileage. in other words: if i reach/pass the recommended TIME period between services (or the 1st service 1 yr in this case) the computer should tell me to bring in the car even though my mileage might be lower, right? .....

my BMW rep tell me that the dashboard reminder ONLY works if you reach a certain MILEAGE point. He says there is "no way the computer can tell" me when it's TIME to bring in the car ...

I can't believe a BMW computer would be that basic .. am I missing something here?
If your computer is the same as mine---- the computer calculates oil change intervals using time, mileage, and driving habits. Lots of short trips require more frequent oil changes. If an oil change is needed, a "service required" or similar words will display for a few seconds when you first start the car.

Of course, you can check oil level at any time. The owners manual explains how.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
MINNOW
Current E90 Fetishist
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 323i / '04 MINI Cooper

It may take time into consideration for the service interval, by adjusting the mileage countdown to service, but the onus is on you for some items.
Mine was saying 12,000 km to go before first service, but I brought it in at the 1 year anniversary for an oil change, which was no charge. My mileage was approx. 17,500 km.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

How could it not use time? There is a clock and calendar in the car!

My display informs me both milage and estimated date when the next service is due taking into cosideration all the factors mentioned above.